Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the gun shop to get some oil, the guy there turned me on to "weapon shield" , Ill give it a try...
Anyways they had 2 glock 30s models sitting there, the first time I have seen them in person. Very nice feel to it, the first thing that popped into my head was a .45 caliber glock 23/19 size wise. Anybody have their hands on one ? I don't hear too much about them yet..How do they shoot ?

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
No personal experience, but Glockaphiles invented the G30S long before Glock did by mating a G36 slide to a G30. Slightly thinner with a lighter slide for faster cycling and followup shots. It's pure goodness.

I have a G30SF now and don't see enough difference to pick up the G30S, but if I were starting out, I'd be all over the G30S.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
No personal experience, but Glockaphiles invented the G30S long before Glock did by mating a G36 slide to a G30. Slightly thinner with a lighter slide for faster cycling and followup shots. It's pure goodness.

I have a G30SF now and don't see enough difference to pick up the G30S, but if I were starting out, I'd be all over the G30S.
Same here.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Great shooter! Best of both, higher capacity of the 30 with thinner slide for better concealment. My 30/36 is close by 24/7.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I saw one for about $570. Not sure why the online priced are so high... It's just a bare bones Glock.

In God and Glock we Trust

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
I already have the 30SF and the 36...so...I could make my own, but I don't see the need.
I like both my 30 and 36, but the 36 will still be my EDC...7 shots of .45 is fine with me.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I'm hunting for one. I have the G36 and love it but would like the 10 rd capacity. $491 blue label if they ever get one in stock.
Hickock45 on YouTube.com has a nice video evaluating it. He is aboslutely ecstatic about the way it shoots.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts

Word has it, from an article I read, that the LAPD SIS (Special Investigative Service) cemented the creation of this with Glock due to the fact they wanted them for carry. I have more experience with the G30, which is a heck of a pistol. If the SIS use these then they are worth the look. Of all of the units at LAPD they are involved in more shooting incidents than any other.

Reactions: old grunt

·
Registered
720 Posts
Yep. I like the idea. Don't like the idea well enough to start trading or selling my older but reliable G30s, one with rail, one without.

·
Administrator
144,232 Posts
WeaponShield. That's all I use on all of my firearms. Great Stuff!

I have a case of the stuff. I tossed away the Hoppes #9 years ago.

Shake the bottle a few times before you use it. Don't use too much when you lubricate....a little goes a long way.

Your firearm and your bore will get easier to clean each time you use it.

Everybody that ever used FP-10 loved it & the chemist that invented/formulated FP-10 (FirePower 10) improved FP-10 even further with greater friction reduction and cleaning power and that is WeaponShield.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Went to the gun shop to get some oil, the guy there turned me on to "weapon shield" , Ill give it a try...
Anyways they had 2 glock 30s models sitting there, the first time I have seen them in person. Very nice feel to it, the first thing that popped into my head was a .45 caliber glock 23/19 size wise. Anybody have their hands on one ? I don't hear too much about them yet..How do they shoot ?
I have both the G30 and G36. Each has its own strong points and I tend to prefer the G36 as its easier to carry but I'd never sell either one. You can't go wrong with either gun. Both are accurate and highly reliable.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Back when I owned both the G30 and G36 I made the hybrid now known as the g30s. I found it to be still too heavy and blocky for carry so I ended up selling the G30 in favor of carrying the G36. I,m very happy with the 36.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Don't I remember the gun mags touting SIS carrying specially made Kimbers? They even had "SIS" forming the slide grip serrations.
I guess the Kimbers didn't catch on. On the flipside, it seems LAPD SWAT is still running Colt Series 70 Gov'ts and won't part with them.

Reactions: GhostMaker

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Don't I remember the gun mags touting SIS carrying specially made Kimbers? They even had "SIS" forming the slide grip serrations.
Yeah...it's in the latest issue of American Handgunner, July/August of 2013. The article is titled "LAPD's SIS K.I.S.S. Pistol goes public". Pretty good article, they also have a nice one on the 38 Special.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I guess the Kimbers didn't catch on. On the flipside, it seems LAPD SWAT is still running Colt Series 70 Gov'ts and won't part with them.
Guess you are right.....I posted the article I referenced above if you want to look it over. Pretty good actually....

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
As a side note: I was looking at the article here at my desk and saw that the SIS load of choice for their Glocks is the Federal Tactical bonded 230 grain +P HP. Guess I need to take a closer look at that round...the departments I served with issued either Speer Gold Dot in 230 grain HP or the Remington Golden Saber 230 grain HP.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Hey! Found a link to the article on the net. It is this months edition....

The Glock 30S | American Handgunner

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
IMO, the G36 is still the best .45 Glock carry gun. If I were venturing into a combat zone, I would carry my G30SF with the G36 as a backup.
I used the G30 to shoot steel on a reactive range once and was very surprised at how well it handled and shot. Since this thread came out I have been looking at the new version with more interest now, particularly since it is the only compact Glock that truly fits my hand (my wife says I have hands the size of a Grizzly's paw).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts