Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have narrowed down my choice on my first .45 to the smaller size Glocks. Glock calls them "subcompact" but really they are more like a G19 than a baby Glock. I have ruled out the 36 since I want the double stack capacity and don't want an oddball model (I'd go XDs if I was OK with that small capacity). This gun is going to be used as a range gun, HD gun with light (already have a TLR-4) and a sometimes carry gun along with my G26 and LC9. The 30 family are roughly the size of a G19/23/32 for those who don't know, but slightly thicker. My decision now is focused on which specific model in this family I want to go with. Here are my issues/questions:

-I don't much care for gen 3 in the 9mm/40 models, but like it a lot in gen4, is the difference between gen 3 and 4 as significant in the .45 models? The trigger reset is something I like a lot and find I shoot much more accurately when I utilize it.

-I will only go for the SF (short frame, not slim frame as many people keep saying), the regular frame is really too big to be comfortable. Does anyone carry a gen 4 with the exposed RTF against skin? Is it uncomfortable?

-Weight...the 30 is a bit of a plumper (33oz loaded vs 30oz for a 19). Is it too heavy to carry IWB all day? I have good belts and handle a baby Glock with no issue. Unless Glock's official specs are wrong, the 30S is 4oz lighter than the 30 gen3/4 and roughly the same as the 30SFgen4. Does having the SF frame really drop 4oz? That seems like a lot.

-Thickness...the 30 is a bit chunky, not terribly but plenty to grab on to...think Miranda Lambert...does anyone carry one IWB in summer clothing? My usual attire is mostly business casual on down to casual. I rarely wear suits, and won't worry about that for this gun because I'll carry something else, I usually wear a polo shirt and jeans or khaki jean style pants. I'm in a casual industry and I'm the boss (partially) so I have to impress no one, I wear shorts sometimes when it gets really hot. Tuckability really isn't a concern but I don't want to have my pants bulging ridiculously either. IWB is my preferred mode of carry and I like having all my guns at least possible to carry.

-Does anyone have both a G19 and a G30? If so, can you please give your input/pics of them side by side.

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
Here's a gen3 G19 and G30SF side by side.

I find that the G30 conceals a little easier due to a shorter grip (especially with a flush-plate 9 rnd magazine, it has a 10-rounder in this pic). When in the holster, I can't feel the difference in width. They're both great carry guns.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's a gen3 G19 and G30SF side by side.

I find that the G30 conceals a little easier due to a shorter grip (especially with a flush-plate 9 rnd magazine, it has a 10-rounder in this pic). When in the holster, I can't feel the difference in width. They're both great carry guns.
Tell me about the 9rd v 10rd mags? The 10 is the one with the part on the bottom that sits outside of the grip right? Is the 9rd the one that looks like a normal Glock mag when seated in the gun?

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
Tell me about the 9rd v 10rd mags? The 10 is the one with the part on the bottom that sits outside of the grip right? Is the 9rd the one that looks like a normal Glock mag when seated in the gun?
Correct. It makes a dramatic change to the grip length. It does require that I curl my pinky under the grip, but I'm used to doing that with the G26 anyway, and have no problem shooting as such. Here's a pic I just 'borrowed'.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I havent heard of them in Gen4, but have recently heard about the 30sf. So Im not to sure. I love my G21sf I really notice the difference. I have a G21 at the house now doing some work to it and the frame seems so large, compared to.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Oh and if you didnt know its all in the frame, not the slide.

·
Registered
82 Posts
or maybe it was 30s??

·
Registered
82 Posts
So many numbers:confused:

·
Registered
82 Posts
I like Gen3

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh and if you didnt know its all in the frame, not the slide.
Oh yeah I know, I can actually tell a perceptible difference when holding a SF and a regular in each hand, the SF definitely is smaller front to back. I have heard some people say the gen4's are the same size as the SF but the weight specs belie this (4oz less in the SF version), does anyone know the answer for sure? Also, the gen4 upgrades I really care about are things like the short reset trigger and the dual recoil spring. Does these matter as much in the 45s?

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
From my understanding, all SF models are Gen 3 pistols and the G30s uses the G30 SF frame with the G36 slide. I recently compared the Gen 4 G30, a G30 SF, and a G30s all side by side. All were new in the box, were blue labels and were priced exactly the same. I chose the Gen 4 G30 because it felt better to me. Something about the grip texture feels completely different to me, and in a good way.

As a side note, quite a few people were putting the G36 slide on the G30 frame before Glock officially released it.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
My 30sf is a wide ass brick
I like it.
I try to carry it OWB. When I carry it IWB I wear my biggest pants/shorts.
I have a 34" waist.
It's been flawless after around 300

·
Premium Member
5,007 Posts
The 30 is a great choice for your first .45, I love mine and it is my go to carry gun.

I have a 21 also and the 13 rd mags will work in the 30. For some reason I also shoot better with the 30 than the 21, go figure.

As far as IWB carry, I don't with the 30 as it is a chunky monkey. Most of the places I carry are OC states anyhow so I just carry in an OWB or shoulder holster.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have a Glock 30sf (Gen 3) and have over 3,000 rounds down the tube. I had a few malfunctions during the first box, but it's been flawless ever since. I carried it a couple of years.....now it's my camping gun. When it comes to 45acp pistols, you won't find one with the combination of high capacity, reliability, accuracy and light weight. Yeh......I said light weight. At 26.5 oz (with magazine) for a pistol that holds 10+1 it's hard to beat. When you start shopping for 45acp pistols, you won't be finding anything with a decent capacity under 25oz that's reliable. As to the stock.....being a SF it is does provide a slightly better trigger reach, but don't get me wrong.....it's still a FAT pistol. My regular carry pistol is a 1911..... Today I shot 100 rounds through my Ed Brown Executive Carry 1911 and 100 through my Glock30sf side-by-side and alternating shooting each pistol. Just to compare accuracy....... Of course the Brown was more accurate in my hands......you just can't beat the trigger and the ergonomics. But the Glock held its own. Sure, my groups were not as tight as with the 1911, but for a defensive pistol the Glock 30sf is a winner.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I've got a Gen 3 30 iwb right now. In a Remora with just a t shirt for cover. I forget it's there sometimes it's so comfortable. I've shot a Gen 3 30s, and I can't tell much of a difference between the two. For me, I'd go with which one felt best in my hand and is available. If you can only get your hands on one of them and it feels good, I'd buy it. To me, a few ounces isn't enough to make me wait who knows how long for a slightly lighter model.

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
30S hands down.

And the 4oz drop in weight is from the slimmer slide, nothing to do with the frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts