Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going back to the .357 SIG... again...

...I've also now been told to avoid a pistol with such a small/light frame chambered in .357 SIG because of the nature of the round.

Thoughts? Personal experience with the Glock 33 (Or 27 with a .357 SIG barrel?)?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Oh, make no mistake, a 33 is snappy. Not a 200 rounds a week gun.

It is controllable. Takes some getting used to, though. It is a carry gun. Fun for a few mags, and then it gets tiresome.

Some guys can shoot it all day long. I am not one of them. The 357 SIG is a strong round. Now throw it in a subcompact gun. The gun has less to hang on to, but the round blows the same way. I've seen guys run 27s, and run them very well. How they do it, I cannot say.

It's a good gun. It'll darn sure get you home. It is an extremely accurate cartridge, even out of the little 33, once you master it. But as I said, it isn't the gun for extended range trips.

I've owned a few 32s, and carried a 31 for awhile. I gotta tell you, the 32 was much easier to control, night and day. The 31 was easier yet. I've run a 32 at many of our IDPA shoots, with excellent results. I'm not trying to turn you from a 33, and certainly not from the 357 SIG, which happens to be my favorite handgun cartridge. If you plan to shoot it to get and stay competent, you'll be fine. An excellent platform. But if you want to shoot it a lot, you may want to take a look at a 32. It hides plenty easy, holds more ammo, and is light years ahead of a 33 for recoil management.

Just my experience.

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
the subcompact Glocks have always used the dual recoil system, so I personally shoot the G33 as well as my G32. I don't find the recoil in the smaller pistol to be any worse than the G32, probably due to the dual recoil system in the G33. I use the Glock factory mags with grip extender on all my subcompact Glocks, more for added capacity than something to hang my pinky.....but I accomplish both. I also do not think the G32 is just as easy to conceal as the G33, even with the grip extender....but that's just my opinion after shooting subcompact Glocks in various calibers for the last 18 years.

The G33 is a great carry pistol with a little additional power over the G26. While I don't find the recoil to be a problem, I do find that I annoy those aroundme at an indoor range. The .357SIG is a very loud, annoying round to your neighbors....especially for the newbies that forget there are others shooting and they remove their ears to talk to each other. I've cured quite a few of that nasty habit.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Listen to the man. Zonk knows Glocks fairly well.

He is right when he says the 33 will hide easier than the 32. It is smaller, after all.

If you dedicate yourself to the platform, you will be just fine. Just buy the damn thing and be done.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Listen to the man. Zonk knows Glocks fairly well.

He is right when he says the 33 will hide easier than the 32. It is smaller, after all.

If you dedicate yourself to the platform, you will be just fine. Just buy the damn thing and be done.
I already have mine configured and in my wishlist on Glockmeister. Just gotta save some pennies.

My nature is that I never stop researching or asking questions... or daydreaming!

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Yes, I do. .357SIG is my favorite round, so I shoot it more often than any other caliber. Most of the time I use the 31 and 32 for the range but I've spent many hours running the 33 as well. Personally, I don't find longer sessions tiresome, but that's just me and I understand we're all different.

Reactions: ChrisATX

·
Registered
433 Posts
I love my 32 and I find it less snappy than .40. I have a .40 barrel for it to train with but shoot .357 sig better so that's what I carry. Its a great round, just add a mag extender if you find the smaller grip a little harder to control.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've heard great things about the .357 sig round. After all, if its enough to protect the president of the U.S. well...

I've heard a lot of contrasting points as to the recoil of the .40 and .357. It seems the 357 is louder and brighter at the muzzle. For those that have experience shooting both is their any difference to you in the felt recoil of the two calibers and would you feel comfortable discharging the gun at night if given the choice between it and less bright caliber options?

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
I don't have a Glock 33 but when I had one I loved it.
I do have a Glock 27 plus I have a 9mm conversion barrel for it.
When I have enough money saved up I am getting a Glock 33 barrel for it.
I will prolly carry with the 357 Sig barrel when I get it.

·
Banned
3,284 Posts
Going back to the .357 SIG... again...

...I've also now been told to avoid a pistol with such a small/light frame chambered in .357 SIG because of the nature of the round.

Thoughts? Personal experience with the Glock 33 (Or 27 with a .357 SIG barrel?)?
I made the switch to a G33 barrel in my G27 last year. I like it, a bit more accurate, and recoil is a bit different as well. Heck......I grew up on the 40S&W and G27 since the early days of CC here in my state. I honestly can't tell much difference at the range or recoil between the two. I was just figuring on the higher velocity of the 357SIG being a better alternative with same magazine capacity. I just had to try it and my daily carry G27 is now a G33 for the time being. I shoot a lot of rounds in a month's time out of all my pistols and quite frankly....those who don't shouldn't post any negative ideas about such and such until they do the same. The terminal performance of the 357SIG vs 40S&W out of a sub compact Glock? I'm less interested in trials, polls, and opinions than I am in hitting my target for sure. The edge for the 357SIG over the 40S&W? May be the bottle neck case and feeding reliability over anything else IMO.

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
Glocks do not fit my hand. The finger grooves simply do not line up with my hand. On the compact and full sized guns that's something I work around. On the baby Glocks it is a deal breaker. If the Glock fits your hand, the 33 will be as good as any other platform. I would personally recommend a different caliber, if the 357 Sig hasn't worked well for you in the past there's no reason to think it will in the future. (I personally cannot shoot it well, I admit my weakness, and leave it to those that can.)

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
For some reason I cant shoot any Glock as well as other platforms. Nothing against the guns. I mean I can shoot one well enough for effective SD if I have too. But they just dont fit me or I dont fit them or something. Go figure.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
Here is some data I obtained using my Glocks:

My emphasis is on 1st – 2nd shot follow up time. I want both the first and 2nd shot to hit a 6’’ circle. I put several 6’’ circles on a larger target at 7 yards.

I shot 4 pairs (8 shots) then check to see if any shots missed the circle, after covering any misses I repeated with 4 additional pairs. In order to obtain what I considered to be a fair representation of performance, I eliminated the greatest (slowest) time from each of the four pairs; if a shot missed then I also eliminated the quickest time (speed without accuracy is penalized). The result was at least 4 pairs that remained (for each pistol) and they got averaged.

The subcompacts (26, 27, 33) have Pearce +0 bases.

Results:
Glock 19 using Federal 124 gr. HST +P: average .26 sec with 13/16 hits.
Glock 32 using Winchester Ranger T 125: average .26 sec with 13/16 hits.
Glock 23 using Remington Golden Saber 165: average .27 sec with 13/16 hits.

Glock 27 using Federal 180 JHP*: average .29 sec with 15/16 hits*
*I was skeptical with this result and Federal 180 JHP is not my carry ammo so I ran it again.
Glock 27 using Federal 180 gr. Hydra Shok: average .30 sec with 14/16 hits.
Glock 26 using Federal 124 gr. HST +P: average .30 sec with 15/16 hits.
Glock 33 using Winchester Ranger T 125: average .35 sec with 13/16 hits.

All of the pistols have Meprolight night sights except the 33 which has XS Big Dots and I think this negatively impaired its time.

As you can see, I was able to double tap the 32 just as quickly and accurately as the 19 or 23.
The 33 was a whole 5/100 :rolleyes: (five hundredths) of a second slower and had one less hit in the 6'' circle, but it had different sights.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I actually shoot better with my G33 (.357 sig) than I do with my G27 (.40) or G26 (9mm). Having said that, I tend to shoot even better with my G36 and G30 (.45 ACP), and, I'm a tiny bit better with the G36 than the G30. I can't tell you why exactly, except that I'm more comfortable shooting .357 sig and .45 ACP. Obviously the size of the gun doesn't matter except maybe with the G36, G30. I love shooting .357 sig but price and availability have pretty much put an end to my doing so. I've not see a box of .357 sig locally for any price in the past 4-5 months.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Yes, 33 had less recoil with some loads than my wife's G32.

However, it was chunky and heavy for pocket or ankle carry, at least in my case.

We played around with the .357 SIG in various pistols until the big ammo drought.

No local ammo and Double Tap and others on back order for a weeks or even months.

Have not seen any local .357 SIG for 9 months, and the last box was $45 plus tax for
(50) WWB!

Other than price and availability issues, the real PLUS, PLUS of the .357 SIG is.

Outstanding accuracy with most any load, and less recoil than the .40s (at least to me) with most loads.

You can go from 90 grains up to 180!

If I was cop again and was able to choose a Glock duty weapon it would be the G31 with a G33 as backup
or off-duty. The dept. could pay or help with my .357 SIG addiction.

Should I be able to choose a CZ, it would be the CZ Custom P-06/357.

The .357 SIG has more than adequate stopping power with tactical penetration as well.

Some think it the perfect cartridge, but most of them reload for it.

I don't post about it much anymore but but still respect the caliber.

Take a look at my fotos under Double Tap:

czrami's Library | Photobucket

·
Registered
14,712 Posts
G27 with 357 sig BBL is my carry gun loaded with Underwood's 125's.:smile:

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I have a G27 and a .357sig barrel. I don't shoot .40 from it anymore. The .357sig barrel stays in it. As a matter of fact, I have a G27,23 and 22 that all have .357sig barrels in them right now. Their original .40 barrels are stored away. Well, I will have to check the 27, my wife may have the 9mm barrel in it.
Nevertheless, I think that the .357sig in the 33/27 platform is an awesome weapon and (for me) is just as controllable as the 32/23 platform.

·
Registered
5 Posts
" While I don't find the recoil to be a problem, I do find that I annoy those aroundme at an indoor range. The .357SIG is a very loud, annoying round to your neighbors...."

When I realize that people are annoyed by my 33, I give the sp101 a turn. They seem to mind the 33 less after that.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I actually shoot better with my G33 (.357 sig) than I do with my G27 (.40) or G26 (9mm). Having said that, I tend to shoot even better with my G36 and G30 (.45 ACP), and, I'm a tiny bit better with the G36 than the G30. I can't tell you why exactly, except that I'm more comfortable shooting .357 sig and .45 ACP. Obviously the size of the gun doesn't matter except maybe with the G36, G30. I love shooting .357 sig but price and availability have pretty much put an end to my doing so. I've not see a box of .357 sig locally for any price in the past 4-5 months.
Well, I guess I really do love the .357 sig . . . I just picked up a great condition G33 as a second one. I parted with a G26 simply because the G33 is more versatile . . . I can shoot 9 mm, .40 and .357 sig with my extra Glock barrels and conversion barrels. I couldn't do that with my G26, so bye-bye.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts