Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched for this topic but couldn't find it, so I apologize if I'm repeating this.

I want to know why I should buy the G36 if the G30 seems relatively similar, but holds 4 more rounds.

So, let's look at the dimensions, per the Glock website:

Glock 30

WIDTH
32.5 mm / 1.27 in.
BARREL HEIGHT
32 mm / 1.26 in.

LENGTH
172 mm / 6.77 in.
HEIGHT
121 mm / 4.76 in.

WEIGHT
680 g / 23.99 oz.
LOADED (~)
960 g / 33.86 oz.

Glock 36

WIDTH
28.5 mm / 1.13 in.
BARREL HEIGHT
32 mm / 1.26 in.

LENGTH
172 mm / 6.77 in.
HEIGHT
121 mm / 4.76 in.

WEIGHT
570 g / 20.11 oz.
LOADED (~)
765 g / 26.99 oz.

----------------------------

So, from what I can tell, the two major differences are the width and the weight.

G30 = 1.27 in. wide, G36 = 1.13 in. wide
G30 (loaded) = 33.86 oz, G36 (loaded) = 26.99 oz

My question is: do these dimensions make all the difference? Anyone tried both and had any strong opinions?

I'm leaning toward the higher round capacity, but if you know something I don't, let me know :smile:

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
The 36 is single stack which allows for a thinner grip. Many people who don't like the blocky Glock grips, like the 36 because of the slim grip... So if the 30 feels comfortable in your hand and you don't mind the 7oz. weight difference go with the 30... For many people, the 7 oz. weight difference would be a big deal...

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I would suggest holding and/or shooting both to see which one fits you better. When looking at the numbers it may not seem like much of a difference but when you actually hold them and try to conceal them the difference is quite noticeable. Trust me I own both the Glock 29 (10mm version of the 30) and the Glock 36.

·
Premium Member
7,579 Posts
G30
Pro:
Capacity (10+1)
Can use G21 mag on reload
Inter-changeable parts with G21

Con:
Thick grip
Somewhat heavy

G36
Pro:
Very thin (thinner that a 1911)
Light weight

Con:
Capacity (6+1)
No inter-changeability on parts or mags

Both are "soft" shooting guns, although, some have more problems with "limp-wristing" on the G36. Both are accurate - for subcompacts. I still prefer a larger frame for EDC, but for deep concealment, you can't beat the G36.

It all depends on YOU. What is most important to YOU, size, capacity, concealability.......
You won't go wrong with either one.

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
The G-36 is my EDC.:yup: I disliked the grip of the 30, and all the other Glocks until I grasped the Glock-36. That got me started on Glocks, now the grip on the others doesn't seem so 'bricky'...:rolleyes:

I also think that the lighter, thinner Glock-36 is a bit easier to carry and conceal.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.:image035::wave:

·
Registered
263 Posts
I would suggest holding and/or shooting both to see which one fits you better. When looking at the numbers it may not seem like much of a difference but when you actually hold them and try to conceal them the difference is quite noticeable. Trust me I own both the Glock 29 (10mm version of the 30) and the Glock 36.
This pretty well sums it up.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Another vote for "try before buy"......if you can....
A handgun that fits your personal "grip" comfortably will more likely see more use - practice and carry. After shooting both, make your decision...then start saving your $$ for the "other" one.....Yeah, you WILL!!:wink:
Enjoy!!! We all do!!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
we can make advice all day long..it may or may not help you when it comes down to it....find out what you are most comfortable with...

loaded weight is just that...loaded weight...the extra capacity is part of that....if it feels too heavy you can still carry less in it...but that migght defeat the purpose...

i carry a g30 and thought the width was gonna be a problem...when i am using a good belt it hides very well and my wife doesnt even know i am carrying iwb...i carry sometimes with light web belt and it doesnt tuck in quite as well but isnt too hard to conceal...

shoot em both...youre gonna love em at the range....

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
The 36 is single stack which allows for a thinner grip. Many people who don't like the blocky Glock grips, like the 36 because of the slim grip...
I would be one of those people in that camp, can't stand the feel of any glock other then the G36.

Actually just bought one last week (yep...crossed to the dark side), and will be getting it out to the range this week to put it thru it's paces. If I'm happy with it, I'll order a holster for it, if not, I'll sell it and either break even, or worse case, be out the sales tax. :wink:

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I went through this exact senario about 6 months back and got lots of help from the guys here but here is what it came down to for me. The size is the same except for a little bit of slimness. I have other Glocks and the 30 fit my hand more consistently plus there are other 6 round 45's I like better (1911's that I would prefer). So FOR ME, there were not other 10 round 45's with extended mags (G21) if I prefer with a better reliability record thatwas only a hair thicker than the 36.....and I am happy with my choice as the 30 has run flawlessly.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
G30 = 1.27 in. wide, G36 = 1.13 in. wide
Just FYI, that measurement is incorrect. It's 1.18" for all but the Slim line Glocks.

The 1.27" is the measurement for the barrel height. :hand10:

Ignore this above post as it's incorrect....... Carry on.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Just FYI, that measurement is incorrect. It's 1.18" for all but the Slim line Glocks.

The 1.27" is the measurement for the barrel height. :hand10:
No. His measurements WERE correct. The G36 barrel is slightly thinner than the 9, 40, 357 Glocks. And the G30 barrel is slightly thicker.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
No. His measurements WERE correct. The G36 barrel is slightly thinner than the 9, 40, 357 Glocks. And the G30 barrel is slightly thicker.
my bad! the width is correct. OOps!

My apologies to the OP....

·
Registered
170 Posts
One comment: the difference between the two feels to me like the difference between holding a 2x2 piece of lumber and a 1x2. To me, the 1x2 just feels better.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Some good points here - thanks for the suggestions and opinions!

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have had both. Now I own just the G30 (+10 other Glocks). The G36 has had some issues in the past - I had one. They appear to be working OK now. The G36 did not feel right in my hand. The G30 was built for me.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
i got both of them. i like both, but you need to play with them to see which one fits you.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
G30
Pro:
Capacity (10+1)
Can use G21 mag on reload
Inter-changeable parts with G21

Con:
Thick grip
Somewhat heavy

G36
Pro:
Very thin (thinner that a 1911)
Light weight

Con:
Capacity (6+1)
No inter-changeability on parts or mags

Both are "soft" shooting guns, although, some have more problems with "limp-wristing" on the G36. Both are accurate - for subcompacts. I still prefer a larger frame for EDC, but for deep concealment, you can't beat the G36.

It all depends on YOU. What is most important to YOU, size, capacity, concealability.......
You won't go wrong with either one.

Good luck.
Well I always go with good advice like shoot both of them first then make your choice... but that aside... I look at it like this.

Statistics show that when faced with trouble it usually is 2 or more thugs... Because they like to hunt in numbers :boese51:. I say that 6+1 may not be enough gun in some confrontations in other it might. But I would go with the high cap mag's if I were You...

·
Registered
289 Posts
If I was going to use this gun as a home defense weapon or conceal with a shoulder holster, I'd go with the 30. But if it's a case of IWB or belly band, I'd use the 36 no doubt.

If I were to buy one today, I'd go with the 36.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I own both, and they are great firearms. They have been 100% reliable and very accurate. Which do I carry.....the G36. Someone mentioned that the G30 felt right in their hand and not the G36. For me, the G36 feels light and right.

No matter how I dress, over sized shirt and all + I own two good holsters, the G30 is just not right for me to carry. It makes me look like I grew a tumor!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts