Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
You asked for my opinion...so here goes: :image035:

Neither one. Before anyone has apoplexy, buy the Glock 27 instead. You get the factory pistol in the 40 S&W. If you get the urge to add doodads...go to Lone Wolf and buy two threaded Alpha Wolf barrels:

Barrel #1 - a 9mm conversion barrel for a Glock 23. It also fits the 27 and gives the same velocity as the longer barrel G19. Now you have a "Glock 26" in 9mm that gives better performance than a G26 and conceals exactly the same. (Remember it isn't the barrel length that is hard to concel, it is the grip.)

Barrel #2 - a Stock barrel for a Glock 32 in .357 Sig. You can then run a very fast 9mm round if you wish. In fact, Underwood has a hot rod .357 Sig load that develops over 2,000 fps out of a G32.

You can run lots of different loads in the 40, all the way up to 180 grain HST's and others.

In all three calibers, get two extra mags in the capacity of your choice: flush fit, mid size capacity, or higher capacity full size mags.

Now you have 3 guns in three popular calibers while spending only a couple hundred more than you probably would on the 26. The 43 is nice, but it is a one-trick pony. My humble opinions anyway.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I use the same setup that I have for many years and don't feel the need to change it every time a new, latest, greatest gun comes out. Both these handguns have plenty of rounds through them that reliability isn't a concern.

G17 home defense, and then I added the G26 for carry. Magazine interchangeability is a plus in my opinion. I still carry in a CBST holster and have been slow to accept AIWB carry. If I did, maybe the G43 would be a good option.

3c578a12bb4bbb4a13f3b88a62308a33.jpg

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Just gotta ask, why do you feel the need for 31 rounds at min, and 45-50 rounds preferably? If you use that many shots It can almost be guaranteed that its not self defense, unless its against like 10 bears. Why dont you look into the glock 43x with flush fit 15 round mags. 1 in the chamber, 15 in the mag, and 15 in the other mag for 31 shots and only one thing jostling around.
When i think of a self defense situation, i think of 4 armed robbers coming into a store. Most think of just being robbed by one person and think 15-16 rounds are enough. But idk, if i was ever in a gunfight, id want to have as many rounds as possible. Even going up against 4 guys with only 31 rounds, i dont feel comfortable. But i would make do with it. Id prefer my glock 17 in a shootout, but its too big to carry. Is my self defense situation not likely? Idk, ive never been involved in a gunfight. Maybe 15-16 rounds would be enough for 4 armed guys. But, i also factor in that i will likely miss shots when shooting. Thats why i want the extra round count. I Ive never taken a self defense class but i still think someone would want extra rounds. I think most are too confident and think they wouldnt miss. A mall shooter with a rifle is another self defense situation i think of. I dont just think of a single guy trying to rob me on the street.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
You asked for my opinion...so here goes: :image035:

Neither one. Before anyone has apoplexy, buy the Glock 27 instead. You get the factory pistol in the 40 S&W. If you get the urge to add doodads...go to Lone Wolf and buy two threaded Alpha Wolf barrels:

Barrel #1 - a 9mm conversion barrel for a Glock 23. It also fits the 27 and gives the same velocity as the longer barrel G19. Now you have a "Glock 26" in 9mm that gives better performance than a G26 and conceals exactly the same. (Remember it isn't the barrel length that is hard to concel, it is the grip.)

Barrel #2 - a Stock barrel for a Glock 32 in .357 Sig. You can then run a very fast 9mm round if you wish. In fact, Underwood has a hot rod .357 Sig load that develops over 2,000 fps out of a G32.

You can run lots of different loads in the 40, all the way up to 180 grain HST's and others.

In all three calibers, get two extra mags in the capacity of your choice: flush fit, mid size capacity, or higher capacity full size mags.

Now you have 3 guns in three popular calibers while spending only a couple hundred more than you probably would on the 26. The 43 is nice, but it is a one-trick pony. My humble opinions anyway.
I have always liked the idea but, how reliable is using 9mm with a 40 breech face and extractor? That seems to be a question with multiple answers depending on who you ask?

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
When i think of a self defense situation, i think of 4 armed robbers coming into a store. Most think of just being robbed by one person and think 15-16 rounds are enough. But idk, if i was ever in a gunfight, id want to have as many rounds as possible. Even going up against 4 guys with only 31 rounds, i dont feel comfortable. But i would make do with it. Id prefer my glock 17 in a shootout, but its too big to carry. Is my self defense situation not likely? Idk, ive never been involved in a gunfight. Maybe 15-16 rounds would be enough for 4 armed guys. But, i also factor in that i will likely miss shots when shooting. Thats why i want the extra round count. I Ive never taken a self defense class but i still think someone would want extra rounds. I think most are too confident and think they wouldnt miss. A mall shooter with a rifle is another self defense situation i think of. I dont just think of a single guy trying to rob me on the street.
Whoa. OK, then. Have at it, I guess. :blink:

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Since you clearly like capacity, I’d go straight for the G26 and just carry G19 mags as spares. I EDC a G26, IMO it’s the perfect CC weapon with a perfect balance of concealability, capacity, accuracy and handling.

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
I have always liked the idea but, how reliable is using 9mm with a 40 breech face and extractor? That seems to be a question with multiple answers depending on who you ask?
Mine has been 100% over several thousand rounds. The breech face isn't the part with the most critical tolerance difference - that part would be the extractor. Still...doesn't mean much, but mine has been fully functional.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Mine has been 100% over several thousand rounds. The breech face isn't the part with the most critical tolerance difference - that part would be the extractor. Still...doesn't mean much, but mine has been fully functional.
Thanks for that response. There are such good deals right now on trade-in G23 and G22's its really hard to pass up one in good condition with NS for near $300 bucks and being able to get a 9mm barrel would make it even more versatile.

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
Glock 26 is my choice! I have no desire for a Glock 43 I do like my Shields though much better!

Reactions: OldChap

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
I carried a G26 for a year. I loved the capacity but grew tired of how a double stack carried in the waistline.

Then I carried a G43 for a year. I loved the way it carried but always wished for a little more capacity.

I now no longer own either but for what it's worth, I used to find excuses to not carry my G26 sometimes where as I never didn't have my G43 on me. Some people carry a double stack all day and it doesn't bother them. Everyone is different in what they prefer. For my carrying, thin to win.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I carried a G26 for a year. I loved the capacity but grew tired of how a double stack carried in the waistline.

Then I carried a G43 for a year. I loved the way it carried but always wished for a little more capacity.

I now no longer own either but for what it's worth, I used to find excuses to not carry my G26 sometimes where as I never didn't have my G43 on me. Some people carry a double stack all day and it doesn't bother them. Everyone is different in what they prefer. For my carrying, thin to win.

Good luck in your search.
So what do you carry now?

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
So what do you carry now?
I didn't want to just plug another brand as I completely understand brand loyalty. But I just picked up a SIG P365 and put about 800 trouble free rounds of a variety of types of ball and hollow points. My kydex holster arrives tomorrow and currently have a Remora for it. After today's session it is officially on duty.

The P365 is a smaller footprint than the the G43 while having the capacity of a G26. If you're not able to hold or test one, give it a hard look. I shot it surprisingly well for a pistol its size. Much better than I did my G43 out of the box. Though I did fine with the G43 after some practice, like any quality gun you put some lead downrange with.

10+1 flush mag

12+1 extended mag

If you want something a bit bigger, they make the P365 XL. .6" more barrel and a 12 round base mag and mag well (10 rounders won't work in it) while still being a smaller footprint than the G43x, M&P 9c and a handful of other guns in it's capacity and/or size class. I personally prefer the P365 so as to shorten the grip as much as possible for deep concealment and pocket carry. ymmv

They also make 15 rounders with extended grip sleeves if you desire for your backup magazines. 10 or 12 rounder + a 15 round backup would suit you nicely.

Unless you must have a Glock, the P365 line is offering exactly what you're looking for.

Standard P365 I found for $479 which comes with factory night sights out of the box, a flush 10 round mag and pinky extension 10 rounder. I bought the 12 round seperate. I found the XL for $607.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I agree with others who suggest a 27.

Plus a 9mm barrel if you want 9mm.

My only Glock is a 27 and it covers a lot of bases with one gun.

One of these days I may get a 357 Sig barrel for it as well.

Oldchap makes a lot of good points on the subject.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I carried a G26, then bought a G43 because it seemed so much easier to carry. After about a year with the G43...I went back to the G26. It's not just capacity, I shoot the G26 better than the G43.

Then, *trumpet fanfare* those sneaky folks at Sig Sauer came out with the P365. I love this pistol! I will keep the Glocks, but the Sig gets all of the carry time now. Seems to be a common theme around here these days.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My 43 started nosediving the first round in too many magazines for me to consider it safe to carry. I sent it off to Glock once and they shrugged their shoulders. Happened again as soon as I took it out of the box and back it went again. Now I'm looking to replace it with a P365. Slightly smaller package with 10+1 on board with the stock magazine. No brainer. I'm just waiting for Glock to send me back my 43 so I can go trade it in.

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
My 43 started nosediving the first round in too many magazines for me to consider it safe to carry. I sent it off to Glock once and they shrugged their shoulders. Happened again as soon as I took it out of the box and back it went again. Now I'm looking to replace it with a P365. Slightly smaller package with 10+1 on board with the stock magazine. No brainer. I'm just waiting for Glock to send me back my 43 so I can go trade it in.
I love my P365 so much, I'm considering getting the XL just to put the longer slide on the regular P365 frame. Though not a priority anytime soon.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I love my P365 so much, I'm considering getting the XL just to put the longer slide on the regular P365 frame. Though not a priority anytime soon.
Yeah. I'm actually thinking about getting both a P365 and P365XL. I currently have a 43 and a 43X I bought a month ago. I rented a P365 last weekend and I shot it better than the 43x. The XL is reported to be having FTRB failures so I'm not sure about getting one right now but after a while to see if those reports settle out. The P365 seems to be ok now after their usual introductory issues (this is why I didn't go with Sig when I got back into guns a few years ago.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts