Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Informed opinions wanted.

My son has been evaluating the usual suspects for his first carry gun and is getting close to pulling the trigger (pun intended) on a G43x on Saturday.

My assumption is that it will do fine for him based on the couple of friends who’ve carried it and the overall Glock

I would like to hear from those who have carried this gun extensively, > one year at some point, if I should waive him off for anything major.

Thanks

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have no question that it will work. It will be reliable, it will be accurate. The big question is, is it the right form factor for him. It's a mullet gun (short barrel/slide, longish grip.) That has implications for concealment (the long grip being harder to conceal than a regular 43.) It's about the same grip length as a G19, but slightly thinner. A grip that long will tend to print more than a shorter grip. On the flip side, the longer grip would be easier to shoot (since he could get a better, well, grip.) He needs to decide on that tradeoff. The longer grip also gives it more magazine capacity, 10 rounds stock and 15 rounds with the magic Shield Arms magazines. This is as opposed to 6 rounds stock with the G43, with a plethora of aftermarket base plate extension, spring/follower replacement, and even complete mags that increase capacity.

·
Premium Member
33,882 Posts
Glock wouldn't be my choice for a first carry gun, but I've developed a bit of bias, based on my own experiences. Glock owners everywhere are raving about the 43x.

·
Registered
7,136 Posts
I have carried / used the 43 / 43X / 48 platforms extensively, though not as long as you asked for. I'm a Glock Armorer, so I think I can speak about them.

All three are very much traditional Glock in every aspect, except size and weight. They are 2 pin frames, instead of 3, but the third pin isn't needed because the frame is so much smaller. Comparing them to the world standard G19, they are all much thinner, lighter, and just generally feel better in the hand. It seems to be a subjective thing, but I have been told they point like a 1911 - which is very well indeed. They do feel better to me, and I realize that is subjective, so take it for what it is worth.

The 43, as it stands now with some innovative aftermarket magazines, can be brought up to 9+1 and the grip size enlarged so it fits even large hands. The 43X / 48, with Shield Arms aftermarket mags can be brought up to 15+1 - and these are flush fit mags. If you go a bit longer with the current extension on the 15 rounder, you get 20+1 in a grip that isn't substantially longer than a G19. I cannot get that capacity in a 19 without going to a Glock 18 33 round mag.

As you know, the grip is what makes a pistol had to conceal. All three guns are very easy to conceal. I've been carrying them IWB and AIWB with Sticky, Vedder Light Tuck, and Concealment Express holsters and they cover up very easily.

They shoot very well. The 48, in particular, shoots every bit as well as the G19. Mechanically they are matured technology and I have yet to have a failure in either of the three. They disassemble and clean / maintain just like any other Glock.

The only real issue, although it isn't an issue with the gun as sold, is that you should change the magazine catch from polymer to metal if you go to the Shield Arms 15 round mags because they are metal, whereas the Glock mags are polymer. However the catch is easy to change and only about $25.

All in all, I am impressed with all three and I thought I wouldn't ever be newly impressed with any Glock model again.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
I would steer him to the 48or if he really wants small a 43. I have my G43 set up with +2 mag extensions to give me a full grip.

A short slide and full grip (G43X), makes for an unbalanced carry gun for me personally. They tend to want to lean away from the body carried IWB due to the short slide and heavy butt.

That said the double stack Glock 9’s are my preferred daily carry, forward of hip, either a G19, 17, or 34 Gen. 5.

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
9,593 Posts
I would agree with above and go 48 ... You can find package deals on Sheild and other websites for a 48 with the metal catch instaled + 3 or 4 15 round mags that would be what I would wait for ....

·
Registered
7,136 Posts
There is hardly any thickness difference between the 43, 43X, and 48. In fact the 43X and 48 use the exact same frame. Holding a 43 and a 43X blindfolded takes some time to figure out which one is which.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
If he likes it, and shot one, and can afford it, I say go for it. I would however, fire a few different pistols just because. He may find he likes something else better after shooting it.

And BBMW has some valid points about concealability. Knowing how one intends to carry is rather important to concealing it.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
My son has a 43x and has had great results with it thus far. I have shot it quite a bit and would highly recommend it. He is running the Shield Arms magazines and their replacement metal magazine release. Runs like a champ!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have carried a 43 for a couple years (not an X) and have been very happy with it. That said, I am looking seriously at a Sig 365XL.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I would make an attempt to shoot the 26, 43X and 48 before buying.

I’ve shot the 26, 43, and 43X. Carried 43 for years (shoots similar to the 43X). In hindsight I’d get a 43X. I’m unhappy with the 6+1 capacity, so I run it with +1 and +2 base plates, and guess what, it’s about the size as the 10+1 43X.

Now I will say I have trouble getting a great grip on the 43X even with medium sized hands. The nice thing with the 26 is it grips pretty much like a full size guns and recoils like one too.

I usually EDC a G19 and have the G43 for hot weather and just want to have something to go pew-pew a few times. If I were buying a primary EDC, I’d take a serious look at the 48. Same grip for concealment. And here’s this. He’ll be able to find a used 43 or 43X slide to mount on the receiver if he wants to change it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Everyone, thanks for taking time to share your knowledge.

After an idpa club match today I went to the local gun shop and they happened to have a G43x! I bought it and it’s waiting for my son to pick it up.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Fair price. Great gun I carry one about 90% of the time now over my CZ's and I'm a CZ fan boy. Just a hair easier to conceal/comfort than my CZ PCR and I shot both about the same.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Nice gun but, I don't think I would be buying a 9mm right now as ammo has increased 250% in price and good luck finding any at all.
Right now 40 s&w or 45 acp is the way to go.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Nice gun but, I don't think I would be buying a 9mm right now as ammo has increased 250% in price and good luck finding any at all.
Right now 40 s&w or 45 acp is the way to go.
Wow. 9mm has increased that much?

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Wow. 9mm has increased that much?

Well, I can find FMJ for 31 cents a round but, only from high shipping cost dealers which brings it to 36 cents a round. Most other FMJ is 40 cents on up per round. I just bought 158 grain soft point semi jacketed 357 magnum for 26 cents a round. Its crazy upside down right now.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Its a fine choice. Should your son try something else down the road he likes more, will be easy to find a buyer. Lot of good guns in this class, of which the G43X is definitely one of them.

Nice gift from you!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts