Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My supply of CC guns is adequate, but I might have an unexpected injection of cash in the next month or so, which means I'm wracking my brain for a possible purchase. Thus, I'm curious about these two .22 pistols. I own a Glock 23 and an LCPII, so I guess I'd have holsters that would work for either gun. Have any of you shot either or goth guns? What are your impressions, especially when it comes to reliability?

I have two grandsons, ages 5 and nearly 4, so I can see a time in the future when they might want to learn about gun safety and shooting. I'm no longer hunting, so I've sold my long guns, but perhaps a small .22 rifle would be a better choice for them to learn with.

Thoughts, please? Thank you.

·
Registered
6,147 Posts
I would go with the well proven M&P 22 Compact which is far more reliable and not ammo picky like the LCP 22! Mine is boringly reliable and has been used by over 150 of my CCW students I was teaching.

Reactions: 1gunsnowbird

·
Premium Member
34,640 Posts
I have recently acquired both a Glock 44 and M&P Compact .22. I prefer the ergonomics of the M&P. Both have proven very reliable, keeping in mind that extractors require more attention than their larger counterparts.

·
Registered
9,735 Posts
I like the full size m&p 22lr as it has 12 round mags ..

Between the two you listed I should ask what is is for fun only or maybe carry ..LCP would be easier to carry but long term 44 would be better for plinking

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
I say neither.

Get a Ruger Wrangler for the boys to start on.
Perfect for buys to learn on and fun for you too.
The Single Six has always been on my buy list. Never got around to it so far. Hard to pass up the price of the Wrangler though. Can get each of the boys one for that price.

·
Registered
10,991 Posts
A friend of mine got a .22 LCP with the intent of having his wife use it for carry, but it was unreliable.

For teaching children with no prior firearm experience, no way would I use a handgun. Too dangerous from a muzzle discipline standpoint. If that’s the intent, a bolt action rifle is the way to go. Start as a single shot, then use the magazine as their skills progress. Safer than a semi auto.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
10thmtn - Funny you should mention that. I was just beginning to think about a .22 rifle a few minutes ago at the fitness center. I recall buying my own son (now 43) a Charter Arms .22 survival rifle. I understand Henry makes them now. Or a Ruger 10-22 basic rifle with open sights. Not sure if I'd like to buy two guns, including a bolt action. I'll have to think about that concept a bit more.

·
Registered
10,991 Posts
My son shoots my Ruger M77/22 bolt gun well. He’s autistic and prefers firing it as a single shot, rather than fiddling with loading the magazine.

The Ruger American is a nice budget bolt gun that would work for a youngster. Of course there are many other options too.

The best thing about a bolt gun is that you can remove the bolt in a second, rendering the gun inert and completely safe. Invaluable when teaching kids.

·
Registered
137 Posts
as much as i like ruger single action revolvers, with the wrangler being a solid entry piece, an inexpensive heritage roughrider with both 22lr/wmr cylinders would be my choice for a teaching handgun. having both calibers introduces some variety to the experience. the hrr’s safety is unique and offers that teaching point too.

·
Premium Member
7,779 Posts
LCR 22 instead of the LCP!
I don't know how strong little boys are, but that LCR .22lr was impossible for me to pull the trigger without using the trigger fingers of both hands. Sent it back to Ruger and they said it was within factory specs. It was accurate, though, when I could get the trigger all the way back. It also got traded for something I actually could use.

I totally agree with others who highly recommend starting the little ones out on a .22 rifle - single shot preferred for an extra measure of safety.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
I don't know how strong little boys are, but that LCR .22lr was impossible for me to pull the trigger without using the trigger fingers of both hands. Sent it back to Ruger and they said it was within factory specs. It was accurate, though, when I could get the trigger all the way back. It also got traded for something I actually could use.

I totally agree with others who highly recommend starting the little ones out on a .22 rifle - single shot preferred for an extra measure of safety.
Yes, no way I start kids out on a handgun especially an auto. All my boys learned to handle firearms and shoot with the same single shot bolt action 22 rifle. That gun is now with my middle son to teach his 2 sons. Best $90 dollars I ever spent.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I would lean towards the G 44. I know of seven in wild and haven’t seen a malfunction with none of them. Know of three LCP22lrs and all three can’t get through a magazine with a malfunction. But I think the Ruger’s problem has to due with the small size. I am able to get through a magazine without a malfunction, but I can see where someone not holding the weapon properly would not have a good day with it,

I taught my two daughters and son to shoot with a semi pistol. Finger off the bang switch, first lesson. I really don’t see the hate towards teaching kids like that. Not like improper safety with a single shot is better than a properly handled semi.

Lefty

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Depending on their size, I would go with the Single Six or Bearcat. They would still be useful when they become adults.

·
Registered
6,147 Posts
I hope you have good luck with your LCP 22! I had a new student that purchased one and it couldn't get through a magazine w/o a jam with several different types of ammo including CCI Mini-mags. I have a LCP gen 2 .380 that is very reliable. I have a M&P Compact 22 that is probably the most reliable .22 LR handgun I have ever owned! It is not picky with ammo and goes through bulk Federal, Remington, and Winchester other than an occasional dud round. It feels and operates just like a Shield and can even share some of the same holsters. Just my .02 worth!

·
Registered
347 Posts
As with all guns there are pros and cons for any of them. At this point the biggest con (and weakness in my opinion) is the magazine. I have yet to see Glock actually fix their poorly designed magazine so it works right. I generally wait two years before purchasing a new design to make sure they work the bugs out.

The LCP II .22 looked fantastic initially but as I looked further into it I discovered two cons (at least for me). The safety operates in a horizontal fashion rather than the standard up/down configuration. A lot of people have complained that they inadvertently activate the safety when racking the slide. The second con is the magazine. There are no slider tabs on the side, making it more difficult to load.

For those reasons I haven't purchased either one so far. For teaching youngsters how to shoot I generally advocate starting them on a rifle. Then you can move them to a handgun down the road. Handguns add a level of complexity that the rifle doesn't. Rifles are more stable having three points of contact. They are also easier to see where they are being pointed since they have a longer barrel than a handgun.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My supply of CC guns is adequate, but I might have an unexpected injection of cash in the next month or so, which means I'm wracking my brain for a possible purchase. Thus, I'm curious about these two .22 pistols. I own a Glock 23 and an LCPII, so I guess I'd have holsters that would work for either gun. Have any of you shot either or goth guns? What are your impressions, especially when it comes to reliability?

I have two grandsons, ages 5 and nearly 4, so I can see a time in the future when they might want to learn about gun safety and shooting. I'm no longer hunting, so I've sold my long guns, but perhaps a small .22 rifle would be a better choice for them to learn with.

Thoughts, please? Thank you.
If it were me I'd go with the lcp ii .22 since it's an exact copy weight and size wise to my .380 lcp ii.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts