Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went ahead and took the plunge and entered in a Glock Armorers Course.

I think it was well worth the money. We had 32 people in in the class that was given at Camp Robinson in North Little Rock at the armory. This class was heavy with LEO's armorers, and there were several gunshop employees that were authorized Glock Dealers.

Cost was 250 bucks and it lasted all day. Lunch was provided.

First, We went over how the gun actually operated which was illustrated with a Power Point presentation. There were some animations that showed exactly what was happening and what exactly each part did.

Were provided with a Glock 22 in the .40 caliber. We stripped every single part out of it, learned some little tricks on how to assemble it and did exactly that several times in the course of the day. The Instructor was excellent,the class was executed very well and he was very helpful as well as entertaining with some real life stories.

I learned many things. I wasn't exactly new to stripping a Glock down to pure nakedness having done it before, but there is a set order of assembly that makes life much easier. We actually had a practical exam in which every part was removed and then replaced. The Glock was then checked several ways for function and if it worked correctly,you passed. IF not...you did it again until you got it right. I didn't think it to be too difficult really, as many times as we assembled or disassembled it, it became easier each time we did it. Eventually most of us was able to tear it down and put it back together in a matter of a couple of minutes. I really came to appreciate the ease of the Glock construction, it really doesnt get much simpler than the Glock.

We installed a New York Trigger Assembly learning why it works like it does. After installing the trigger and actually trying it, I was ready to hang every single politician or Police Chief that insisted they needed to have that. That thing was horrendous and a step back from a trigger that actually wasn't that bad to one that was pitiful, confirming to me again why I don't live up in the Great North East, where such foolishness is not only encouraged, but required.

We got an excellent manual on all things Glock along with a few other widgets that aided in the assembly/disassembly of it. We did a written exam that required 80% pass. To my surprise, a few people actually flunked. They were given the option of retaking the test or taking the class over.

All in all, I'd say it was a worthy endeavor. I recommend it to those that want to get more familiar with their Glocks and I really enjoyed it. I made some friends, learned some stuff and it was an absolutely beautiful day to do it. If you get the chance to go...do it. You wont regret it.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Congratulations. I always wanted to take the Glock course. I took the Colt Armorer course years ago and loved it. Only downside is I started building ARs!

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Thanks for the excellent report, H.G. :35:

A lot more people should do this.

·
Premium Member
36,786 Posts
I took the course several years ago from instructor Lynn Freshly. I was the only non-LEO in the class. I, too marveled at the inane NY triggers. He said that about two people out of one hundred who try it actually prefer it.

·
Registered
10,310 Posts
That sounds like fun.

I'm curious, was it an NY1 or NY2 trigger?

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Hey thanks for the detailed report. I should look into taking a course like that. Sounds to me well worth the $$$.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Congrats! It is indeed a very thorough class! I took the class back in 1992 when they didn't have so many different models. I wish they would do a refresher for us dinosaurs that don't do it daily!

Reactions: Old Man

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
You mean there is actually an easier way to reassemble them than what we're used to?
That's almost worth the price of admission.

Reactions: OD*

·
Super Moderator
22,275 Posts
Congratulations, Bob! :35:

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Some folks TALK about doing it. Some folks THINK about doing it. And some (wise) folks...Walk the Walk!

Well Done HotGuns! :congrats:

·
Registered
831 Posts
I had taken it a few years ago, my cert has since expired. Since I had shot a glock match (cost $35) the cost of the course was $99. For $100 learning to totally strip and re-assemble without the risk of damaging my own gun was worth every cent.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts