Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently received two Glock factory steel front white sights for my G17- one from Glockmeister and one from Glock directly- that look "chopped off," not a complete circle. Glockmeister checked their warehouse and all the steel front sights look similar to the ones I just received. I called Glock directly and they are perplexed by this and looking into it. The rep I spoke with said he's personally experienced this same issue and is starting a customer inquiry.

Has anyone else noticed this? It doesn't adversely affect the sight picture or acquisition, but as I like to keep all my Glocks consistent regardless of size or caliber, I'd like to get to the bottom of the issue. I don't know (and apparently neither does Glock US) if it's a new production process or just a bad run.

image1.JPG

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Hummm? Isn't that kinda' the spot where...the bullet's supposed to hit?

:sorry2: (just kidding!:biggrin2:)

·
Banned
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hummm? Isn't that kinda' the spot where...the bullet's supposed to hit?

:sorry2: (just kidding!:biggrin2:)

I hope at least somewhere in that vicinity!

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
The paint has to maintain a minimum distance from the edge of the sight and some whackjob set the dot machine too high. That or someone determined the pistols were too accurate and is trying to make them less lethal.

·
Banned
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The paint has to maintain a minimum distance from the edge of the sight and some whackjob set the dot machine too high. That or someone determined the pistols were too accurate and is trying to make them less lethal.
Makes me wonder if Glock (or anyone else) ever thought to have a square white front sight to fit "in the rear sight bucket."

·
Administrator
144,133 Posts
Actually, I think it might be intentional.....because if they used an end mill or a drill to recess a spot on the front sight for the white coloration.

It wouldn't be flat on the top. It would be a full circle that would have over-shot the top edge of the front sight.

Of course....I could be wrong.as I have been once or twice in the past. :hand5:

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I just did a Google image search for "Glock front sight" and many of the results for the OEM glock sights show the same "cut off" on the top of the dot. I think it may just be the way it is.

My Gen 2 G19 is a little over 20 years old. I'll check it when I get home.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Well, checking my G19 Gen 3 is completely unnecessary. I already know it's NOT like the OP's photo. I would have noticed...by now. :biggrin2:

·
Banned
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just did a Google image search for "Glock front sight" and many of the results for the OEM glock sights show the same "cut off" on the top of the dot. I think it may just be the way it is.

My Gen 2 G19 is a little over 20 years old. I'll check it when I get home.
It may be true that this is just the way Glock is manufacturing their steel sights now. I know none of my polymer Glock factory sights have this "chopped top" nor do any of my other factory Glock steel sights. The rep at Glockmeister emailed me to say that he spoke with Glock and that representative indicated that's how the steel sights now look. I don't know if that means it's intentional, as in that's how Glock Austria is manufacturing them. Either way, the steel sights on the Glock website still show a circle.

Ultimately I don't mind either way- I just want to get to the bottom of the matter because as mentioned, I want to keep all my Glocks as consistent as possible. I actually don't mind the way the sight lines up now, as the flat topped circle lines up straight across with the top of the "bucket" rear sight.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
It's so you can see the white of your cardboard targets eyes...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts