Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
EVANSVILLE - Out with the old, in with the new.

Nearly 300 Glock pistols have been replaced at the Evansville Police Department after some guns started having mechanical problems.

There haven't been any accidents with the faulty guns, but the recall isn't to be taken lightly. The assistant police chief says he can't remember the last time equipment malfunctioned.

It's not too often that an officer needs to use his or her gun, but if caught in an emergency, the Glock can't fail.

EPD's 292 pistols have been recalled by Glock after the springs failed in the back of some of the guns.

"For whatever reason, we had 11 guns on our department where this part had broken off," says Chuck Knoll, the officer in charge of firearm training. He shows NEWS 25 where the gun broke.

The 10-year-old guns still functioned fine, but EPD wasn't taking chances.

"It wasn't a safety hazard, it was more of a mechanical situation--every one that broke, we still took back out on the range and fired and they still worked," Knoll says.

EPD Returns Broken Guns - NEWS 25 - WEHT: Evansville, Henderson, Owensboro-
This was a known problem in some of the ~1999 .40 Glocks.

Looks like Evansville had a handful of pistols with issues (all of which still worked) and Glock replaced the entire lot.

Matt

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
A broken spring, but it still fires...:yup:

·
Administrator
144,033 Posts
I guess that's why somebody must have very recently changed the accepted and long-standing definition of the word "PERFECTION." :rofl:

Guess that's why they're called "PERFECTION".....!:smile:
Like Timex watches of ages ago: "It takes a licking...and keeps on ticking..."
(Credit to John Cameron Swazey)

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I'm glad to hear that they train 5 or 6 times a year. I wish that my dept would do that. We only do firearms twice a year and simunitions once. But the village has to save money some how, right?:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
I'm glad to hear that they train 5 or 6 times a year. I wish that my dept would do that. We only do firearms twice a year and simunitions once. But the village has to save money some how, right?:rolleyes:
Yep, they need to pay for all the social services so that the street people can be warm, rested and well fed to be able to commit their crimes.

·
Registered
40,166 Posts

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
If broken, and or, needing recall equals perfection I will stick to a different kind of perfection.

Any manmade item can and will fail at some point, even man himself. That being the case, I'm not a Glock "fan" but I don't totally dislike them either.

Biker

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Im not a glock fan, but after seeing tests where parts are flying off after firing several thousand rounds nonstop and it keeps firing well that speaks for itself.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
10 year old guns too... I don't think I'd let this bother me if I wanted a Glock. :wink:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ten Glocks in the same department suddenly fail...all with the identical spring problem? OOOOOKAAAAY! Anyhow, I'm still gonna keep my 19 and 23. They are not exactly pretty, but they've always worked for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nice to hear that some PO's actually train more than once or twice a year. From where I sit that would give me more faith in the fact they might possible be able to hit their target(s) with less than 40 rds. They may all have the best in guns and calibers, but if they are unfamiliar with the idiosyncrasies of their personal weapon, they are a menace to themselves and the community they serve & protect. My range is owned by the PBC of a local Incorporated Village, and they rent the range to other LE agencies to hold qualifications---and believe I have seen the best and the dregs as well. :drillsergeant: "Doc"

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
So springs died on 10 year old guns?

The guns continued to function, and when the springs were replaced they were 100%?

This is news?

Feh. :twak:

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Those pistols could have been made on a Friday.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
I had a 8 year old S&W 22a I had a firing pin break on,granted it had around 20,000+ rounds,but parts can fail thats why we replace recoil springs in 1911 handguns either they wear out or you need a lighter spring for target loads

·
Registered
20 Posts
If there really was an issue with this particular lot of pistols, I wonder if the non-LEOs were given any indication there could be a problem....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts