Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Administrator
143,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just for the forum searchable record & in case anybody has not heard of one of these yet.
It's a perfectly molded piece of plastic that slips in behind the GLOCK triggers making it impossible to pull the trigger. Of Course you'll need to remember to "pop it out" with your index finger before you shoot your weapon.
No moving parts. They work.
I personally never saw the need for one but, those forum members that are not "Comfy Cozy" with the Glock due to its lack of any external safety might want to buy one or two or three. They are inexpensive.

CLICK HERE TO ND WITH YOUR CLOCK - Click HERE to Go To Saf-T-Blok

Then you can ALSO buy the LOCKING Saf-T-Blok

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Good for ''in house'' security maybe but - sure wouldn't want to have that on a carry piece!! :wink:

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
I like the idea. Especially in black instead of red. Easy to push out and if someone else were to get your gun it might slow em down.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
My personal view is if you want a gun with a manual safety, don’t buy a Glock. Kind of like people who carry a 1911 with a round in the chamber and the hammer down. If you're not comfortable with the way it is designed to be carried, there are plenty of other options out there.

But that’s just my opinion.

·
Administrator
143,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jt

I honestly don't see any safety issues at all with GLOCK firearms.
I really don't understand why some shooters are "iffy" about Glocks since they are really no different than carrying a DA Revolver with all cylinder holes full.
I don't really want to begrudge anybody adding a safety device if they think one might help them feel better about their carry firearm.
I think that keeping the Ol' finger out of the trigger guard & off the trigger makes the Glock exactly as safe as any other firearm.

The only real positive advantage I can see (for myself) to a SaftyBlock might be in a possible Gun Grab situation.
I am not likely to ever lose control of my carry weapon though.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
I see exactly one use for this possibly two.

#1. The "under the car seat" scenario.

#2. Would this little thing count as a trigger lock for those poor people in PRK? It looks like it'd be way faster to remove than those regular old abominable locks. Looks like all you have to do is push it out.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
QKShooter said:
I honestly don't see any safety issues at all with GLOCK firearms.
I really don't understand why some shooters are "iffy" about Glocks since they are really no different than carrying a DA Revolver with all cylinder holes full..
agreed
QKShooter said:
I don't really want to begrudge anybody adding a safety device if they think one might help them feel better about their carry firearm.
I don't either, I just don't see the need for it, and think that if someone wants a manual safety, they would probably be happier with a gun that has one built in, rather than adding a piece of plastic behind the trigger on a Glock.

I would think that it would be a pain to train with, popping that thing out on the floor. I wonder how many “pops” it is good or.
QKShooter said:
I think that keeping the Ol' finger out of the trigger guard & off the trigger makes the Glock exactly as safe as any other firearm.
agreed

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I would NEVER use or recommend something like this for a carry gun although I guess it'd be okay for people who have to keep their gun locked up.
Others have made good points: 1) if you want an active safety, don't buy a Glock. 2) Glocks aren't much different in the practical sense than DA revolvers and we don't hear lots of people gripping about those. and, 3) Keep your D$#* finger off the trigger if you're not going to shoot something :biggrin:

The third point is where I have issues with this device when talking about using it on a carry gun. If I'm in a situation where I've had to draw my weapon, I'm not putting my finger on the trigger until/unless I have to shoot. I definately don't want to be trying to "pop" this thing out from behind the trigger, thereby putting my finger on/near the trigger in a high-stress situation. To me that just leaves too much room for Mr. Murphy to make an appearance.

just my $0.02.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Good point. It's makes for bad placement of the saftey.

·
Super Moderator
13,056 Posts
It seems that there is enough evidence to indicate that there are some safety issues with Glocks. The issue seems to lie in the rather sensitive trigger. Glocks have a relatively short, light trigger pull; IIRC the trigger stroke is about 3/8" with about 5# of force. By comparison, a revolver trigger has probably at least a 3/4" stroke, and 8 or more pounds of force. I can't say what the implications of this are but I'm reading more and more that Glock owners treat their Glock differently than other guns.

For example in a thread, a guy asked if he would be ok carrying a loaded Glock in his pocket. Most, if not all, advised against it, as I suspect most of use would agree. But, we often carry snubbies in our pockets without giving it a second thought.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I do not carry a snub nose revolver in my pocket with out a holster.

I might, if I heard some noise outside, slip it in my coat pocket with my hand around it, but I would do the same with a Glock.

I never actually carry a handgun without a holster around it. So, no I do not treat my Glocks differently.

·
Registered
104 Posts
kenpotex said:
The third point is where I have issues with this device when talking about using it on a carry gun. If I'm in a situation where I've had to draw my weapon, I'm not putting my finger on the trigger until/unless I have to shoot. I definately don't want to be trying to "pop" this thing out from behind the trigger, thereby putting my finger on/near the trigger in a high-stress situation. To me that just leaves too much room for Mr. Murphy to make an appearance.

just my $0.02.
My thoughts exactly- not a good idea. Know the gun you are using. Don't make things too complicated.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The best solution would be to...

...go out and buy one and then sign up for Gabe Suarez Interactive Gunfighting class and use it in class with one of his airsoft Glock clones. Then decide if you want it.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Personally, I don’t need to. I have shot many handguns with manual safeties, so I don’t need to try out an aftermarket plug in one to figure out that I don’t need or want it.

And as for Suarez’s training class, I wouldn’t mind taking one to improve my skills, but my live fire practice is more than adequate at putting equipment to the test.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
I'll repeat myself.

Imagine you live in the People's Republik of Kalifornia where all citizens who own those awful guns are required to keep a safety device on the trigger.

Compare popping this little thing out to struggling with a key or a combination lock and then trying to unfeed a cable or take off two halves of a conventional trigger lock...

THAT is what this is good for.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
I thought I'd never comment on the safety of Glock pistols. My grandfather told me to keep quiet unless I had something positive to say. The fact that a piece of plastic NEEDS to block the DANGEROUS trigger design on an internally cocked striker behind a live round speaks for itself unless one is in denial of the NG's thus far on record.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts