Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not trying to start a debate thread here, but Im seriously contemplating an upgrade to the "big two" that are in my opinion the XD, and the glock. I'm dead set on the 45acp compact (not sub-compact), yet I have little time this holiday season, between sleeping and time at the office to test a 45. So, for those of you who own an XD45, tell me what you like and what you dont. What has me sold on the XD is the mag capacity and the 1911 grip angle plus the very reasonable price. Im also concerned about barrel position as its rumored that it conduces more muzzle flip. Let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have fired and carried an XD 45, here is my opinon-
maintenance is a SNAP nice and easy. Accurate, manageable recoil, comfortable to carry and very reasonable price. Grip safety + Trigger safety is a plus as well. Ambi mag release is nice to have. As for "Muzzle flip" or rise, I have not noticed anything different in the XD that I would not expect from any .45 of a lighter weight than solid steel (though the .40 like most .40s is snappy). I have yet to find a complaint with the XD. I cannot comment on the glock as Ive not used one enough or carried one to be of any use on that subject, but I will say the glock is a VERY WELL MADE HANDGUN and it is a great SD tool, which ever you chose you will NOT be disappointed. Hope this helped,
~Steve

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I have an XD45..Great shooting gun, with very little muzzle flip...grip angle is more like a 1911 than a Glock, but I don't see it as a big deal... I have a couple of Glocks, the XD and a Kimber Ultra Carry and switch between them all the time...Grip angle is no difference to me...Don't have a Glock .45, but the G30 will probably be my next purchase....

Either one would be a great carry gun...

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a XD45c and love it. Neighbor has a g21 with some trigger work done and asked after shooting my xd . . . " want to sell it?". Point each (without sighting)at a "spot/target", then sight down your arm and see witch has a more natural feeeling grip angle. Good luck, Stay Safe.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
All of your questions are answered here.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
My duty gun is a Glock 23, my game gun is a Glock 34. I also have a XD 45 service model. I use that one to shoot bowling pins off tables. My Glocks and Springfield XD are both excellant 100% functioning pistols. I depend on all of them for concealed carry and home defense weapons.

Randy

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
All kidding aside, I have an XD 45 Compact and it's sweet. Two things I just can't handle about the Glock: the aiming angle and the trigger. Both work for me on the XD. Also, I prefer some form of a manual safety and the XD has a grip safety.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I have an XD .45 Compact and love it!

I like shooting my Glock 27 and 22 RTF2, both .40 snappy, but I like the softer "push" of the .45.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
At long last! A Glock vs. XD thread! Yes!!!!

:smile:
LOL! Okay.........you asked for it. I say to each his own, but.....................if anyone thinks Glock ever aspired to be ugly, then the XD has it beat by a long shot. Then again.....looks aint everything right?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Out of the XDs, I like the XD 45c the best. I'm not trading my 30 SF for one though. :tongue:

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have to say that as a general rule of thumb, Glocks are superior to XDs. If you don't mind dropping some money after the sale, the XD can be made just as good as the Glock.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have owned both and my personal preference is the Glock over the XD.

I did some horse trading and ended up with an XD .45 Service. First off, it was a BIG gun and kinda heavy to me as well. It felt top heavy to me also. That gun accompanied me to the range one time and after shooting it I decided it was going to find a new family.

I traded the XD for a Glock 23. First (B)lock I have ever owned. I love it. In fact all of my other stuff except for 2 Sig's are put away in the safe. I have said it before it is not the "perfect gun" but it is the one that I have that does most of the things I want in a carry piece.

I know the XD isn't made by SA but if Springfield made junk they wouldn't be the oldest armory in America.

I don't think one is "better" than the other, it's more like Dodge vs. Ford. Like said before go and shoot them both and then get the one that you like.

Be Safe,

NosaM

·
Registered
42 Posts
I sold a Glock to get my XD45. The Glock was the most unreliable firearm I have ever owned. The XD has a much better trigger, better accuracy, and has never failed to function. My XD is now my EDC.

·
Registered
366 Posts
XD9sc...... was my pick .. for me i like the grip safety.

but i have a friend that has a glock and he likes it.
it's what feels good in your hand and works FOR you.

like buying a ford or chevrolet... you can get a good car in both.. but you also can get a bad one...

just my 2 cents

·
Premium Member
5,379 Posts
Im not trying to start a debate thread here, but Im seriously contemplating an upgrade to the "big two" that are in my opinion the XD, and the glock. I'm dead set on the 45acp compact (not sub-compact), yet I have little time this holiday season, between sleeping and time at the office to test a 45. So, for those of you who own an XD45, tell me what you like and what you dont. What has me sold on the XD is the mag capacity and the 1911 grip angle plus the very reasonable price. Im also concerned about barrel position as its rumored that it conduces more muzzle flip. Let me know what you guys think.
If your considering a Glock or an XD. I would say just wait a few More months before you do anything.

The new Glocks are supposed to be out at SHOT, supposidly will have many of the same features you are finding on modern semi's(removable backstraps and possible some other very nice goodies)

Heres an article about the GEN 4 Glocks http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2009/10/29/gen-4-glock-a-look-at-the-new-features/

These are the GENERATION 4's not the RTF Frames. Also, I have a collegue that got his hands on one, and from what he said, the article matches much of his discreption.

The thing I'm pissed is that the magazine issue. I have about $700 invested in Glock magazines.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I put my hands on a Glock 21 SF and that will be my next glock. Shot it and absolutely loved it. Fit my hand like a glove. Just my $.02

1 - 20 of 43 Posts