Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do Glocks have a higher incidence of negligent discharge then other makes of handguns..there was a article on the internet not too long ago stating Glock has been sued more often for "accidental discharge" then all other gun makers combined..any truth to this?

·
Registered
517 Posts
I've personally never heard of that, they are just as safe if not safer than a lot of others.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I utilize DAO guns all the time, I can't beleive it is any higher and have not seen anything to indicate it is. They may be the most widely known and perhaps most sold, if I make and sell 3 guns and 1 has an issue with this and Glock sells a million and only 1000 rports are in, my issues are higher.

I do know some law enforcement agancies specify trigger pull weights to 7-8 lbs (NY triggers).

While an accidental discharge can occur, the only time my guns go off in when I pull the trigger.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
While an accidental discharge can occur, the only time my guns go off in when I pull the trigger.
Can't agree more. None of the Glocks that I've owned ever went off without me pulling the trigger.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
More often than not, an unintentional discharge is usually referred to as negligent because more often than not it is due to the trigger being pulled.

Glocks are no more potentially dangerous than any other modern day handgun.

·
Super Moderator
13,123 Posts
Don't read into this, I carry a Glock and am just about ready to buy another Glock. But, number of occurrances of ADs indicated by claims cannot be explained because there are more Glocks sold than other guns. The AD claim strongly indicates a large disproportion between the number of Glocks in service and ADs.

So what remains is there either has to be some reality to to the claims, or the claims are inaccurate, etc. It is interesting to note that a Glock has a fairly short, and light trigger for a DAO type action (I know it's a safe action, etc., etc.). It's interesting in discussions regarding trigger pull weights, connectors, etc., many, if not most, feel that the lighter the trigger, the more likely an unintentional discharge. For example, a buddy had some competition trigger work done on his Glock and wound up with a 2 lb trigger. Most would gasp and say that's too light for carry, but why? Well the trigger pull is too light. But what does that have to do with anything? If we don't put our finger on the trigger, how can it fire?

The point is that as we move to a lighter and lighter trigger, common sense would dictate that the chances of a 'touch' discharge goes up.

It is interesting that departments that go to heavier, longer DAO triggers don't seem to talk about unintentional discharges.

But I do believe Glocks are as safe as they need to be. I also believe we need to be aware that if we snag the trigger on anything, esp. in the process of holstering, the Glock's lighter, shorter trigger pull with no mechanical safety backup, such as the XD's grip safety, will discharge with less pressure on it than a DA with a longer, heavier trigger pull.

And to address the 'they won't go off unless we pull the trigger' - that simply isn't true. There have been any number of cases of guns discharging without a finger being on the trigger. The latest I remember was the pilot that shoved the handgun into a holster with a lock in the holster and shot a hole in the airplane.

I have read of several incidents where in the reholstering process, an obstacle came in contact with the trigger and discharged the weapon. Massod Ayood wrote of an incident with a Sig where an LEO was placing the gun in a locker and I forget the details, but the gun discharged and the LEO's finger was not on the trigger.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Can't agree more. None of the Glocks that I've owned ever went off without me pulling the trigger.

+1 I have owned Glocks for more than 20 years......even in the dark inside my safe when there are no witnesses....they are safe.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Glocks are no more potentially dangerous than any other modern day handgun.
But I do believe Glocks are as safe as they need to be. I also believe we need to be aware that if we snag the trigger on anything, esp. in the process of holstering, the Glock's lighter, shorter trigger pull with no mechanical safety backup, such as the XD's grip safety, will discharge with less pressure on it than a DA with a longer, heavier trigger pull.
Couldn't agree more. Unless the trigger safety is depressed the trigger remains out of alignment (barring any mechanical failure).

Always careful when holstering, I keep my finger along side of the trigger housing until the holster takes over.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
A Glock is as safe as any other pistol out there...

However, there are some Glock operators that are unsafe, and are more likely to have a ND than others.

I use ND, because the way I see it, AD's are very rare animals.

Safety is between your ears, not a mechanical device.

·
Registered
529 Posts
When I first joined the forum, somebody had the signature line:

"Keep your Bugger Hook off the Bang Button, and you'll be just fine."

That about sums it up.

·
Super Moderator
50,584 Posts
As with all firearms, it's a "finger" thing. I trust my Kimbers, and my Glocks equally...I do have to keep training my finger.:image035:

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I saw a vid of two guys trying to make a Glock AD. After several attempts to try to make it AD. They finally had to place a cleaning rod trough the trigger guard and pull it with both hands to make it fire.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
What you are dealing with is negligent discharges not accidental discharges
Mike

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I had to quit pickin' my nose to type how funny I thought this was:rofl:
Yea, boogers are a pain to get off a keyboard once they have dried!

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
When I first joined the forum, somebody had the signature line:

"Keep your Bugger Hook off the Bang Button, and you'll be just fine."

That about sums it up.
That should be boo-ger, not bug-ger. :image035:

·
Administrator
143,599 Posts
The most common ND with Glocks happen during re-holstering with shooters that get flustered when attempting to shoot above their skill, speed, and training level.

They forget to remove their from the trigger guard when they quickly re-holster.

It certainly is not the fault of the firearm.

BUT, people don't like to sue themselves when they goof...so I guess that is why they sue Glock instead.

·
Registered
7,974 Posts
What you are dealing with is negligent discharges not accidental discharges
Mike

+1....I have to agree with Mike...I'm not sure anyone can give a legitimate example of an "accidental" discharge. If your weapon (Glock) goes off and your finger isn't on the trigger, then in my eyes it is a "NEGLIGENT" discharge. You have done something that caused the dischcarge, whether intentional or unintentional..JMHO.

·
Banned
13,685 Posts
Do Glocks have a higher incidence of negligent discharge then other makes of handguns..there was a article on the internet not too long ago stating Glock has been sued more often for "accidental discharge" then all other gun makers combined..any truth to this?
Part A) "Do Glocks have a higher incidence of negligent discharge then other makes of handguns.."
I doubt it, and I don't see why they would. Higher statistically maybe....but you'll need to take into account the number of Glocks in hands of consumers as compared to all other makes of pistols. Don't forget that we seem to hear a lot more about LEO's having ND's than citizens or so it would seem. These days everybody is ready to file a lawsuit for their own irresponsibility. I would venture to say that Glock is like Wal Mart.....who would you sue if you were to sue? The guy on top or the one with the most money and the biggest reputation right? Yeah.
Okay...on to the next part of your statement/question.
"there was a article on the internet not too long ago stating Glock has been sued more often for "accidental discharge" then all other gun makers combined.."
The internet is the internet, but the article may very well be true. I wouldn't be surprised for the reasons given in the first part of my opinion.
Last but not least, let's delve into your actual question pertaining to the whole thing........."any truth to this?"
You would think there would be an easy way to find out if it's the truth or not wouldn't you? There should be, but I'm not sure how to find out.
Let's just assume it is true...then what to make of it all? A Glock pistol is just like any other firearm....it's not a toy! No substitute for the basics of safety. Those basics go for any firearm or pistol made...no excuses. Glock on!

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
There are times reliance on an external safeties has resulted in a ND / AD. I'm guessing there are times ND / AD have occured due to the lack of one on a Glock.

As someone pointed out, lighter trigger pull vs ND / AD is the only factor that has enough information gathered to be supported.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts