Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently had a cold snap so I wore a pair of gloves when I went to the range. I was quite surprised at how much simple light weight gloves hampered drawing and shooting.

Likely members of this forum are experienced enough to know this. However if you have not shot with your typical winter wear, I suggest trying it. Adjustments and changes in garment choices may be necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
166 Posts
I continue to shoot & ice fish through the winter & need my dexterity for both. I usually layer up with a hoodie on top with a couple of Hot Hand warmers in the front pouch that will keep me going for several hours of fun in the cold.

·
Premium Member
7,909 Posts
We recently had a cold snap so I wore a pair of gloves when I went to the range. I was quite surprised at how much simple light weight gloves hampered drawing and shooting.

Likely members of this forum are experienced enough to know this. However if you have not shot with your typical winter wear, I suggest trying it. Adjustments and changes in garment choices may be necessary.

There are quite a few brands of gloves made for shooting which will not impede your draw, mess up your grip, or make your trigger finger "too fat." Some of them also keep your hands pretty warm. You can always take a pair of mittens to wear over those shooting gloves for when you are not shooting. My shooting gloves (PIG brand) do not look like cold weather gloves, but they work well for shooting and for some warmth. For driving I have other gloves that do not work for shooting because the material is too thick.

There are also heavy glove/mittens with end flaps that cover your fingers but flip back when you need them for shooting. I have a pair of those and do not like them. We kid about holster drawers, but you could wind up with a drawer full of gloves in searching for just the right pair for yourself. 😏

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
That's why you should train and practice with the guns and gear, including clothing, that you're going to carry/use/wear. If you buy something new or change things with the seasons some simple dry fire practice can often bring issues to your attention so you're not finding out there's a problem at a critical moment.

Reactions: ctr and Bad Bob

·
Registered
256 Posts
for my location and type of winter......i do without gloves for cc. I pocket carry anyways, so the fingers are usually partially tucked in the pockets when out in public anyways......that is my hand warmers and a way to keep the wind off the fingers. Its also a cheat as faster access to the gun.

it it gets really cold.....then a heavier coat and the gun is in the coat pocket.....with my hand......dao shroud type.....no problems.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
18,151 Posts
My gloves are very thin leather baseball gloves. I also wear them when I shoot lots of .454 Casull or .44 magnum rounds at the gun club. I have no problem with any of my guns while wearing them.

Reactions: Rabbit212

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Gloves down here are so uncommon I always forget where I left them the last time I used them I end up buying new ones and of course that's when I find the ones.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Mexchian gloves ... The shooting ones still work for cold

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
Its brutally cold here today, 48 degrees. 🥶 ... :ROFLMAO: Still no gloves. 😎

Reactions: Rabbit212

·
Premium Member
5,545 Posts
Find a pear that you can work with. Some smaller firearms have such small trigger guards thst no glove will work. That is a gun problem.

From experience I don't recommend going without gloves. Did that for a lot of decades. Paying for it in my latter years.

Reactions: Chaplain Scott

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Gloves ? We don’t need no stinking gloves ;)

Reactions: Pete63

·
Registered
454 Posts
Here in Florida, the only time I wear gloves is at the range. I can't think of a single time during my adult life I've ever worn gloves except during cold days the range. (Excluding shop/gardening/nitrile gloves at home)
Having said that, I've been loving the 'cold' winter we've been having so far. I've gotten a chance to shoot from under jackets more these past couple months than the last several years combined.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I live outside of Chicago. It gets cold here. I don’t wear gloves. Heck, I don’t usually where a jacket.

·
Registered
5 Posts
In Wisconsin it can get really cold with windchills down to -35. Did some experimenting the other day and with inside the waistband holster with t shirt tucked in and I can draw and shoot at .88-.95 sec. With t shirt over the inside waist band gun my draw is 1.10-1.15. Add a flannel shirt to the layers and I go up to 1.20-1.25 then with Carhartt jacket over flannel shirt I go to 1.28-1.35.
Then I put on heavy gloves and worked on ripping right hand glove off before drawing and went to 1.50-1.57.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
That question was asked on a podcast recently, a couple recommendations were to look for good ski gloves (not the big puffy kind) or Isotoner winter gloves. Mechanix also is said to have some winter gloves.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Having done a fair amount of winter Mountaineering plus 9 winters in Alaska, my hands have gotten frost-nipped a few times too many. To add insult to injury, one of the anti-cancer meds I've been on has also caused permanent damage to my hands. So, I ALWAYS shoot with gloves. Like shooter Granny, I usually wear the PIG gloves, as they do provide a level of protection, plus are designed for shooting and give great sensitivity.

All Brands - PIG - Patrol Incident Gear - Gloves - SKD Tactical

Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Premium Member
7,909 Posts
Having done a fair amount of winter Mountaineering plus 9 winters in Alaska, my hands have gotten frost-nipped a few times too many. To add insult to injury, one of the anti-cancer meds I've been on has also caused permanent damage to my hands. So, I ALWAYS shoot with gloves. Like shooter Granny, I usually wear the PIG gloves, as they do provide a level of protection, plus are designed for shooting and give great sensitivity.

All Brands - PIG - Patrol Incident Gear - Gloves - SKD Tactical
I've had two or three other brands of "shooting gloves" and there simply is no comparison with the PIG tactical gloves. The best thing is that their "Charlie" style is specially designed for women's hands. Perhaps that is why they actually FIT, as compared to the other brands which never did fit quite right! $45 sounds at first like a lot of money, but when you find exactly the right thing it is a bargain. I bought my first pair two years ago and recently bought another pair to have in reserve because I know that eventually that first pair is going to wear out and I do not want to have to try to find something else in case that style ever gets discontinued.

·
Premium Member
5,545 Posts
I live outside of Chicago. It gets cold here. I don’t wear gloves. Heck, I don’t usually where a jacket.

I was that guy. All I'll say is arthritis sucks.

·
Registered
Rifles and Handguns - Various Types
11 Posts
I have several pair or specialty shooting gloves to protect my old, tender hand skin at the range. However, my favorite are various pair of work gloves I picked up from Lowes. They have a rack with dozens of types of gloves. You can get almost any thickness, and when sized tight enough, they work great.

You can also buy leather golf gloves. Made to fit white tight, golf gloves offer almost unnoticeable comfort and protection.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
466 Posts
I was that guy. All I'll say is arthritis sucks.
I work outside so I vie not to wear a jacket till December so I cancer used to it. It works. I generally don’t wear a jacket. Don’t get me wrong. Winter sucks and I hate the cold!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts