Defensive Carry banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,351 Posts
Gloves, boots, socks, all depend on how much exposure you have to what conditions.

If you can get away with a simple covering to keep the chill off, sure, mechanix gloves work. That is what I use for chilly fall days bird hunting. It keeps the cold of the gun off of my skin. But the pistol you spent so much time admiring how well it "feels in the hand" doesn't fit with winter gloves. As much as I tease Glock, they sorta fit almost all of the time.

When it is actually cold, I use Thinsulate lined leather "chopper" mitts. I work outside in the winter. I can easily slide these on and off as I need. They are warm. I need my hands warm more than I need to shoot. If I need to grab a sidearm, it is a fast and easy extra step to whip a mitt off of one or both hands to fight.(hockey glove style)

·
Premium Member
35,148 Posts
We recently had a cold snap so I wore a pair of gloves when I went to the range. I was quite surprised at how much simple light weight gloves hampered drawing and shooting.

Likely members of this forum are experienced enough to know this. However if you have not shot with your typical winter wear, I suggest trying it. Adjustments and changes in garment choices may be necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gloves and winter garments definitely slow down the draw stroke. Practice, practice, practice...

·
Registered
38,981 Posts
If it gets cold enough for gloves here, I'm swimming to Belize.

Reactions: kmckinnon

·
Registered
168 Posts
I like these High-Dexterity gloves. Nice and thin, but warm enough to help keep you from freezing. If I am going to be out for a long time. I slip a small hot hands pack into the gloves on the back side of my hands. This works great. Pave Low

21 - 24 of 24 Posts