Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone! I am glad to be a new member to this community!

Not sure if there is a thread for this or not, but here goes!

What is you go to Defensive ammunition?
I have fired multiple calibers such as 9mm, 45, 38 special, and 357. What I look for are the following:
Expansion, penetration and bullet weight.
Before I tell you my favorite ammunition I would like to say that my favorite caliber is 9mm or .357

For 9mm my go to is Federal HST 147 grain JHP. With tested 13.6 inches of penetration and expansion of up to .63" it packs a punch

For .357 my go to is Fiocchi .357 158 Grain JHP with a muzzle velocity of 1220 fps and energy of 522 flbs with will stop anything

I would love to see your go to's and get a great discussion going!

·
Registered
36,117 Posts
I spend very little time analyzing SD ammo. Much too much is made of it.

·
Premium Member
4,859 Posts
Welcome to the DC forum.
I am assuming we are just talking about handgun ammo and not rifle.
I usually try to use the same ammo that our local LEO's use. That way if involved in a shooting some over zealous DA can't try to get me on using Killer ammo. LOL
But some of my favorites in .45ACP which is what I carry are Hornady XTP 200gr., Remington Golden Sabre 185 gr. and Speer Gold Dot 185gr.
Although now with the major ammo shortage i will pick up whatever i can find. May get down to using FMJ if it continues

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I prefer the 124 +P in the 9mm as it has more muzzle energy than the 147 grain. Thank you, velocity squared!My EDC does best with the Golden Sabre. It produces the best grouping.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the DC forum.
I am assuming we are just talking about handgun ammo and not rifle.
I usually try to use the same ammo that our local LEO's use. That way if involved in a shooting some over zealous DA can't try to get me on using Killer ammo. LOL
But some of my favorites in .45ACP which is what I carry are Hornady XTP 200gr., Remington Golden Sabre 185 gr. and Speer Gold Dot 185gr.
Although now with the major ammo shortage i will pick up whatever i can find. May get down to using FMJ if it continues
Believe it or not I have never fired a rifle:-( I would love to have that experience! And yes I know the ammo shortage is a pain but some of your local mom and pop shops like in my area should be picking up what ever is available. Local gun shows as well. I have a kimber solo carry and it calls for high quality ammunition which is hard to find but I found the Hornaday 147 grain JHP in my local shop and it was like Xmas even tho I was limited to what I could purchase.

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
Most importantly I want ammo that functions in the gun. Next, it has to be very accurate and shoot to poa. I prefer less expansion and deeper penetration, bonded core.

·
Premium Member
4,859 Posts
Believe it or not I have never fired a rifle:-( I would love to have that experience! And yes I know the ammo shortage is a pain but some of your local mom and pop shops like in my area should be picking up what ever is available. Local gun shows as well. I have a kimber solo carry and it calls for high quality ammunition which is hard to find but I found the Hornaday 147 grain JHP in my local shop and it was like Xmas even tho I was limited to what I could purchase.
Everyone needs to have a rifle. It is usually the first firearm most of us got, usually as a kid.
Go shoot one, you will be saving up for your own right after the smoke clears

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
First, those who read and believe the various advertising and test reports are likely to be disappointed with actual performance. Not every round will expand every time, not every round will penetrate the same every time, not every adversary will appear at just the right distance and wearing exactly the right combination of clothing to make sure the results match the testing.

Second, over the past decade or so we have experienced at least 3 major interruptions of supply for ammunition and reloading components. There have been several extended periods in which those in need of ammunition have been forced to take what they can get.

Finally, for defensive ammunition the gold standard is 100% reliability in the intended firearm, using the magazines to be carried, and the silver standard is ammunition that provides a point of impact at the point of aim at usual handgun ranges (25-50 yards). Anything else is simply unacceptable, regardless of all the magazine articles, blog entries, or jello tests touting extreme terminal performance.

Personally, I have been reloading ammunition for 48 years and casting my own bullets for 47 years. My home-rolled ammo is carefully developed to perform perfectly in the intended firearms and shoot to point of aim. My home-cast bullets are primarily semi-wadcutter or truncated cone with flat points, with or without hollow-point. Having lived through several ammo shortages I seldom allow my supplies to drop below what I use during a typical year of weekly range practice, and I maintain another year of supplies (primer, powder, bullets) to replace that supply.

Currently that amounts to about 1500 rounds .45ACP, 1200 rounds 9X19, 800 rounds .40S&W, 1500 rounds .38 Spl, 1200 rounds .357 magnum, 700 rounds .44 Special, plus several obsolete or antique calibers I continue to produce for my vintage firearms. I purchase primers in cases of 5000 in each size required, my powder supply is seldom below 20 lbs (about a 25,000 typical handgun charges), and in addition to 5000-plus bullets on hand I keep 300-plus pounds of lead alloy for producing more when needed.

I have purchased very little factory ammunition over the past 25 years or so. During my law enforcement career I always kept a supply for duty ammo, but that requirement no longer exists.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
16,374 Posts
Self defense handgun: Underwood 180 grain 10mm
Woods handgun: Hornady 200 grain .44 magnum
Home defense rifle: Alexander Arms 400 grain .50 Beowulf
Big game rifle: Hornady Superformance 225 grain .338 Winchester Magnum
Home defense shotgun: Federal 3" #1 buckshot

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Most importantly I want ammo that functions in the gun. Next, it has to be very accurate and shoot to poa. I prefer less expansion and deeper penetration, bonded core.
Big YEP!! If your ammo doesn’t hit where you aim, everything else is moot. For example: In one of my 9’s, I was using 124g rounds and hitting what I aimed at. After having new sights installed (night sights), my accuracy suffered greatly. Played around with different ammo and found that 115g rounds hit to POA. Got to hit it to hurt it.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Welcome to DC.

You need to test various loads in your gun to see which one works reliably and is accurate to point of aim. We can point you to what we like, but we can't begin to tell you what will work in your gun with you at the wheel.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
9mm - 124/147 +P HST
357 Sig - 125 HST/Gold Dot
40 - 180 HST/Gold Dot, 165 Ranger Bonded
45 - 230 HST/RangerT
10mm - 155 XTP or 180 Gold Dot handload

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
If it functions in the gun and shoots to the sights, I'll take it. When I can get what I want, I like HSTs.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
.45 ACP 230 gr HST +P
.40 S&W 165 gr HST
9mm 124 gr HST +P
.38 Special 158 gr SWCHP +P (Federal right now, but not particular)
.357 Magnum 158 gr XTP (over 14.5 gr 2400)

·
Registered
734 Posts
At this current time anything you can find.

But I've stocked up enough that it isn't an issue for me.

38 SPL- Federal HST 130 gr +P for snubbies
38 SPL- Remington Golden Saber 125 +P for snubbie reloads and 4" bbl revolvers
9mm- Barnes TAC-XPD 115 gr +P
380- Fiocchi 95 gr XTP
44 SPL- Underwood 200gr Gold Dot
44 Mag- Speer 200gr Gold Dot short barrel

·
Registered
36,117 Posts
I've never had an occasion to blame a miss on the ammo. Guns and ammo are always more accurate than I am.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I'm not too fussy about ammo if my gun isn't. (if the gun is fussy, it is usually not around long) A brand name hollowpoint works for me, often Winchester white box.

Reactions: seeker_two

·
Registered
72 Posts
Speer GD 9mm 124gr +P is very accurate in M&P Shield , .38 spl 125gr +P is accurate in my 686 snub. I've only fired 7rds of Hornady .357 Mag XTP bought last year , I at least hit paper to hit paper and good spark off the target clamp

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
greetings...

over the years i have wittled down my ammo to 1000 round case purchases of speer lawman 124g for the range and speer gold dot 124g for defense...

also speer lawman 230g and speer gold dot 230g respectively...

i find this speer ammo to be 100% pro...

azj

1 - 20 of 21 Posts