Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering going to all revolvers. Mainly for two reasons. 1. I shoot revolvers a lot better than I do semi autos. 2. I just feel more comfortable with them.

I shoot semi autos fine, and trust them to be able to perform when needed. So this is not a bashing of semi autos. I also understand all the pro and cons of each platform. It's just that I prefer the revolver.

My reason for this post is to see if anyone else out there has made the switch to just revolvers and why.

·
Registered
20,049 Posts
I like revolvers too, but I think it's bad judgement to give up
amything that has some higher capacity to it; particularly in this political environment.

I say go for it, but ya might want to keep a few auto's with hicaps stashed somewhere for those "rainy days".

·
Premium Member
8,338 Posts
Agree with Gman on all points. Why limit your options?

And often people go through phases of what they like and don't like. Couple of years from now you may be wishing for those semi's that you are thinking of getting rid of right now.

·
Registered
20,049 Posts
Agree with Gman on all points. Why limit your options?

And often people go through phases of what they like and don't like. Couple of years from now you may be wishing for those semi's that you are thinking of getting rid of right now.
Oh yeah, and then there's that.
Wish I had a $10 bill for every time I changed my mind on a carry gun over the years.

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
I have whittled down my collection to be primarily revolvers. But I always want a few semi autos for variety and at least one high capacity pistol.

·
Registered
194 Posts
In my younger days I did quite a bit of target shooting with semi autos. Browning Medalist and several versions of the Hi Standard Supermatic, plus a .45 Gold Cup for center fire competition. However, for the 50 years I've been carrying, I've always gone with revolvers. For me, semi-autos are great, as long as I have time to aim, but I find it much easier to consistently hit what I'm pointing at with a revolver. That said, there's nothing "wrong" with carrying a semi, a lot of folks go that route, but there's nothing wrong with packing a wheel gun if it works better for you or your just more comfortable with it.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
I am considering going to all revolvers. Mainly for two reasons. 1. I shoot revolvers a lot better than I do semi autos. 2. I just feel more comfortable with them.

I shoot semi autos fine, and trust them to be able to perform when needed. So this is not a bashing of semi autos. I also understand all the pro and cons of each platform. It's just that I prefer the revolver.

My reason for this post is to see if anyone else out there has made the switch to just revolvers and why.
I was all revolvers for years and years for the same reasons you have. I recently picked up a little LCP as that deep concealment and backup to my main gun which will always be a revolver because its just faster to put bullets on target from concealment which I think is often overlooked as a primary need for a defensive civilian situation.. If you think you need more firepower you can do what a lot of people do and carry two..fastest reload there is. I do like having one semi back in the lineup just to keep my practice up on that platform if nothing else. Above all else carry what you feel most confident and comfortable with. I also shoot DA revolvers better, especially point shooting but, I am working on my semi auto skills.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts

I carry and shoot revolvers exclusively. Having a semi-auto fail in a gunfight my life was saved by having a BUG (revolver). Every semi auto I have ever shot, be it handgun, rifle, or shotgun; has jammed or malfunctioned at some point. I can NEVER bring myself to trust a semi-auto. I carry a 7 shot snub nose 357 Magnum as my primary and a J frame 5 shot 38 Special as a BUG. YMMVH.

·
Registered
6,368 Posts
I agree with G-man you should have both! You should also start looking for a D frame 6 shot Colt one of the best CCW revolvers ever made! They are a joy to carry and have that additional shot which makes them almost as competitive as most of the single stack autos that are currently popular!

Reactions: Eric357 and C/O

·
Registered
368 Posts
Think long and hard before you make your move. It will be very expensive to get back to where you are now. Prices will only go up.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
My first handgun was a S&W 686+, and my last purchase was a S&W 638. In between I got a bunch of semi-autos, all for CC. There's something about the fact that a revolver in good condition will not fail. If there's a bump in the night, something going on outside I need to investigate, I'll most likely grab the Ruger SR9c with the 17-round mag. Why not? But for CC out and about, the Smith feels better.

Part of this concerns the environment. At home, there's no place to retreat to, you're already in the castle. But outdoors, your mission is to get away from trouble and back home in one piece. If 5 rounds of Corbon DPX .38 isn't enough to solve the problem, I'm not sure 10 or more rounds of 9mm would be, either. Statistically speaking, the presentation of a firearm ends the vast majority of self-defense scenarios. If the bad guy(s) just wants your money or car, they aren't looking to engage in a firefight for it. And you don't want to be in the aftermath of a self-defensive shooting situation because that's a $20,000 problem (usually) even if it's a good shoot.

No, brandishing isn't why you carry. But if brandishing solves the problem, you're well ahead of the game.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
IMG_0661.jpg I tried to like Semi Autos. I still have a Glock 26 with a ton of mags and a 1911. I never shoot the Semis anymore. I always liked Revolvers best. My favorite for carry is the J-Frame but I have a few other Snubs that I carry at times. I have one 4" for camping and fun shooting. I guess I'm kind of strange because I like shooting J-Frames. I switch grips around for extended shooting times on some. On others I just leave the stock grips. I normally carry Two of these Snubs Daily.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
I went the other direction in part. For years I owned revolvers exclusively. I still own them and like them but after finally giving polymer a chance I find an array of great pistols ideal for carry and home defense at great prices. We are long past the times when you could rightly call semi autos unreliable too.

I'll never be without my revolvers but for carry guns to depend on these days you'll most likely find a Glock or an XD on my belt. That being said, If revolvers do it for you I wouldn't consider you inadequately armed.

·
Registered
20,049 Posts
Haywood, not strange at all!
Besides being one of the very best practical choices for CC, they are great fun to shoot.
If you can master the DA stroke on a short tubed, lightweight blaster and do well with it out to 25 yards, you can shoot anything.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts

I really like revolvers and have quite a few.

But if I was to go all revolvers, that would involve getting rid of my 1911s.

Ain't gonna happen.

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
My weekend carry for the last few months has been a snub revolver (SP 101, DAO, .357) backed up by a LCP. I find the shape of the revolver to be easier to conceal, and much more comfortable to carry. The back of a semi auto's slide always seems to either poke me in the ribs, or poke out the front of my shirt.

I'm well aware of the pros and cons of each platform. We can imagine scenarios to justify anything. I stopped listening to the "full size fighting pistol" (sic) crowd and the "comforting not comfortable" crowd (who should therefore be wearing body armor everywhere if they actually believed that) long ago.

Do what works for you. Revolvers work.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Yes, I started with a revolver and after I buy a LCR in 9mm, will probably die with a revolver somewhere
on my person.

Right now I'm in love with this:

Easy on recoil and I don't burn up ammo like I was with a hi-cap 9mm.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts