Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My criteria for a carry weapon are reliability, hand fit, accuracy, and ease of concealment and carry in that order. A j frame revolver is hard to beat in this role.

I had moved away from the small revolvers due to age and hand pain. Sold off my 637 a while ago. The recent weight loss eliminated the hand pain so I am once again with a j frame. Not a lot of fun to shoot an airweight but I like the revolvers.

Picked up a S&W 442 and will be carrying that daily. Not that I’m out and about much these days.

·
Registered
8,115 Posts
Yep. A good snubbie is the handiest and most practical SD device ever invented IMHO. Not the most effective, but effective enough. Not the most concealable, but concealable enough. Not 100% reliable, but 99.9% reliable. It exists in a "sweet spot."

·
Premium Member
33,788 Posts
Go with what works for you.

I'm down to a single-stack .45 most of the time now. There was a time I wouldn't have considered the possibility, and would have looked down my nose at anyone who would suggest anything smaller than a 10-round double-stacker.

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
I have avoided small single stack 9mms until today when I go a a G43. I thought the round count was too small then I realized a lot of people carry revolvers that are only 6 or 7 rounds. It was also what I carried back in y LEO days; a S&W 66-2 and a Charter Arms 5 shot revolver in an ankle holster as my BUG.

So I am now back to 6+1 until I can get a +1 or +2 extension mag.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have been carrying my S&W 649 more often than not lately. The stainless steel is easier to maintain with summer time perspiration. A little heavier than the 442 but still comfortable to carry IWB with the Galco Royal Guard.

·
Premium Member
4,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good choice with the 442. I like mine a lot, in fact it is my favorite pocket gun. I carry it in this Blackhawk #3 holster.
Nice grips. Altamont?

I‘m using a Safariland Model 25 pocket holster. Glaxo just came out with a new pocket holster that I’m considering.

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Registered
571 Posts
Good choice with the 442. I like mine a lot, in fact it is my favorite pocket gun. I carry it in this Blackhawk #3 holster.
That size 3 Blackhawk is a handy little holster to have. It fits my P365 AND my Defender. (Although I have YET to pocket carry something the size and weight of the Defender.;) )

As for the OP, good that you're back to being able to carry what you like and what works for you!

·
Premium Member
4,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That size 3 Blackhawk is a handy little holster to have. It fits my P365 AND my Defender. (Although I have YET to pocket carry something the size and weight of the Defender.;) )

As for the OP, good that you're back to being able to carry what you like and what works for you!
The Defender is a wee bit heavy for pocket carry. Mine wasn’t reliable so traded it.

A S&W Shield is about as large and heavy as I can get away with in the pocket. Still much prefer the j frame.

·
Registered
963 Posts
My criteria for a carry weapon are reliability, hand fit, accuracy, and ease of concealment and carry in that order. A j frame revolver is hard to beat in this role.

I had moved away from the small revolvers due to age and hand pain. Sold off my 637 a while ago. The recent weight loss eliminated the hand pain so I am once again with a j frame. Not a lot of fun to shoot an airweight but I like the revolvers.

Picked up a S&W 442 and will be carrying that daily. Not that I’m out and about much these days.

View attachment 332250
It’s a nice weight.

Don’t feed too much 38 +P. My buddy wore his 442 out.

I have carried a S&W 640 357 Magnum 5 Shot.

Times like these, I switched back to my Glock 19.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Instagram
Muzzleblast_MD

·
Premium Member
4,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It’s a nice weight.

Don’t feed too much 38 +P. My buddy wore his 442 out.

I have carried a S&W 640 357 Magnum 5 Shot.

Times like these, I switched back to my Glock 19.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Instagram
Muzzleblast_MD
I don’t use +P anymore. Doesn’t offer enough benefit for me.

Days like these, I’ve gone from no reloads to having several handy. Actually loading up the mags for the MPX today. Getting ready for the coming storm.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Hard to argue with against a J Frame for EDC !

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
A 642 has been my most carried piece for a dozen years now. It's just about perfect for my needs. Anytime I leave the house, it goes in the right front pocket of whatever trousers/shorts I'm wearing. I carry it in a Mika pocket holster.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I retired my Model 638 because practicing with it was not enjoyable. The recoil was substantial and about 20 rounds were all I cared to send down range during one session. My new EDC is a Ruger semi-auto compact in 9 mm. Less recoil, very concealable, more rounds, and a bit more power.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Me too. I think for immediate and reliable response for SD, a snubbie revolver is tough to beat.

·
Super Moderator
23,235 Posts
Even though I haven’t carried my m36 in a good while, she still is a good option! My shield is my main squeeze!!! Maybe if I got a good IWB for my snub I’ve I’ll carry her more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@ctr - I understand completely! I now carry my LCR exclusively!

Nice gun!

Look at Phlstr Holsters. I carried OWB in leather for over a decade, and when I needed to downsize my EDC due to back pain, folks here pointed me to IWB for my LCR. @JD pointed me to Phlstr. It fits perfectly, rides perfect, and I’ll probably never change.

Phlstr: Phlstr

1 - 20 of 29 Posts