Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up everybody...it's been a while since I've been on here...life has been busy lately...new baby, new job, etc. Etc. But anyways...my wife and I are going on a cruise soon to get away and relax which of course got me to thinking...what am I to do about the cruise lines no weapons policy?

I'm thinking a nice fountain pen to carry in my pocket?

What have others that have cruised before done?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,368 Posts
Cross pen, Ernest Hemingway hardback novel, and a simple hickory cane for your bum knee and you should be GTG. BTW, all of those items are TSA friendly. (Avoid "tactical anything") Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

Reactions: CaptnSmith

·
Registered
191 Posts
You will have to pass through a metal detector. So everyone should be unarmed. Could take a couple forks or steak knives from the cafeteria.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Went on an Alaskan cruise and didn't think about it. Think everyone on the ship was in bed by 830...

Have fun and enjoy, people on cruise ships are mostly interested in the gluttony. Some islands in the Caribbean can be kind of ify just stay aware.

Reactions: mr.stuart

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not worried about the population on the ship. I'm thinking about when I get off the ship in the Caribbean...

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
FOF...that is about it.

Reactions: bus_driver68

·
Registered
863 Posts
When you get off the ship in any of the Caribbean stops it will be loaded with Americans!! you will feel right at home but on a serious note just go with the tourist flow and stay with your group. Have a good time!!:smile:

I'm not worried about the population on the ship. I'm thinking about when I get off the ship in the Caribbean...

·
Registered
417 Posts
Areas around the ports are generally owned by the cruise lines so it'll be shops and stuff like that. Not much of a cultural experience but not really anything to worry about either if you don't go too far off the beaten path.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts

·
Registered
6,368 Posts
The last cruise I went on in the Caribbean (prior to 911) we took snorkeling gear which included a standard dive knife w/BC etc and there was no problem. Might be worth looking into.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
We went in 2012. Nothing really worried me until,,Mexico! Cops everywhere with what appeared to be auto. rifles. Then there were about 100 hookers hanging out by the police station. Guess it depends on where you go.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
-
I packed a 'tactical pen' and a small canister of pepper spray in my luggage for the flight. The pepper spray could be spirited on and off at port stops if you conceal it in a camera bag or something. They didn't even look twice at the x-ray screen when the canister went through, nor the pen that I pulled from my pocket for the x-ray tray.

Do find out what the laws are in the port stops, though. Some lands are downright medieval with their laws. Oh, and get yourself a sea sickness patch from your doctor before you go...the pills (and sea sickness) suck!

Reactions: Bigmoney1200

·
Banned
894 Posts
The native cops will be heavily armed and really want your trip to be uneventful. Stopped at a port in Mexico and watched a pickup drive by. Cop in the back had a machine gun resting on the roof. Cops walked in pairs wearing armor and carrying ARs. Even the private guard at a gas station was armed for battle. Probably has no problems with drive offs.

Reactions: writerchick

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Took a cruise last year and I was doubled in the unarmed category. Had to drive up to New Jersey and board the ship across from NYC. New Jersey is not exactly gun friendly and of course, I couldn't carry on board. Felt a bit naked.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Check with the cruise line. Most will allow you to take a small pocket knife. I have one I carry on every cruise.

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
wilderness tactical instructor belt.... steel buckle and heavy as sin. And a nice solid cane

·
Banned
12 Posts
take some hand lotion, good rich stuff, because you and your new best friends, all 5000 of them are going to washing your hands at least ten times a day, minimum.....they will tell you where your life boat station is then advise you how often they want you washing your hands. Your "threat" is micro-biotic...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts