Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to change from a Glock 19 to a Glock 23 for EDC. I know 9mm is a respectable round, but I've been watching a lot of videos about .40 cal and it's obvious it has more stopping power. I'm a pretty decent shot at 15 yards or less, but that's at the range. My logic is, if I'm ever in a self defense situation and shooting under duress, .40 cal would at least give me the advantage of better stopping power if I'm not as accurate. Am I right or wrong?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I like both but prefer .40.

I find that a quality, well-fitting pistol in the .40 caliber is as accurate as the 9mm, for me that is.

(If you are reading this and believe that a 9 mm is superior... then good on ya, that's absolutely fine w me.)

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
I went the opposite way about two years ago. I say shoot with whatever you can hit the target with the best.

Reactions: Morbidrealities

·
Registered
480 Posts
I agree with most of the shoot what is comfortable. I started with a .40 and have switched to a 9mm. I will shoot more effectively under duress with what I am comfortable with. I still carry my .40 depending on the day but in most cases I carry the 9. I have never had to pull either to this point and God willing I never will have to but I do have them if the situation arises.

·
Registered
368 Posts
A Ruger SR40c is in my rotation and it works fine. If it works for you shoot it. It's a personal thing.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Have you shot the Glock 23? Can you shoot it as well as you Glock 19? The 40 cal has a heavier recoil.

I like my 9MM.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
I like 40, 45, 357 Sig, 10mm, 9mm - my carry pistol is not determined solely by caliber.
Shoot the pistols to compare how quickly you can place an accurate shot (2nd shot).
An expanded 9mm might be .65 whereas an expanded 40 may be .75
I wouldn't sacrifice 1'' of accuracy for 1/10'' greater diameter.

·
Premium Member
5,481 Posts
I shoot .40 because that's what I started with and am heavily invested with reloading supplies in that caliber. That said, one can shoot a 180 gr bullet from a .40 and .147 gr from a 9mm. Shoot what you want, I'm not a total believer in gel tests. I am a believer in mass.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I carry 9mm, .45, and .40 in my rotation. I prefer the snappier recoil of the .40 over the 9mm as well as the added round count over the .45.

All are more than capable self defense calibers with the right ammo. Shoot what's best for your needs.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have you shot the Glock 23? Can you shoot it as well as you Glock 19? The 40 cal has a heavier recoil.

I like my 9MM.
I went to the range a few weeks ago and rented a G23. I shot it well and was surprised at how manageable the recoil was. I happened to be carrying my G19 that day and after I had shot about 25-30 rounds I shot 6 or 8 rounds of HST 147gr out of my G19 and in comparison it felt like I was shooting a .22.

I can appreciate the merits of both calibers. I think I might be trying to justify buying a new gun. I have the itch really bad. Lol

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think I might be trying to justify buying a new gun. I have the itch really bad.
Ahhhh...the never ending search for the perfect carry gun. At last count, I'm up to number 12, or is it 13? Whatever my count is, I have gone from mostly 9mm to either 40 S&W or 45 ACP. Give the capacity advantage to the 9's and stopping power to the 4's but it's only a slight advantage for either.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've read a lot about t his subject and it seems the goal in a defensive shooting is to put as many holes in your target as possible. Bullet velocity and size aren't as important as long as you can penetrate clothing so for me (and many others) that means a smaller round which is not only easier to shoot accurately, but it's cheaper to practice with, thus increasing accuracy a little more.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I started with the 40 and then went to 9 now EDC 45. In the end they all have advantages and disadvantages. Just pick one and practice a lot. I reload all my practice ammunition so price per round is not that important to me but if I were on a budget then 9mm wins. Stopping power is pretty low priority in the equation compared to accuracy.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I've read a lot about t his subject and it seems the goal in a defensive shooting is to put as many holes in your target as possible. Bullet velocity and size aren't as important as long as you can penetrate clothing so for me (and many others) that means a smaller round which is not only easier to shoot accurately, but it's cheaper to practice with, thus increasing accuracy a little more.
the problem I see with "the goal in a defensive shooting is to put as many holes in your target as possible" usually the target (bad Guy) doesn't stay put, you might have only one chance, make it count.

edit to add: my EDC guns are .40 or .45 ACP.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I will stick with my 9mm's and .45 ACP's. Pretty well covers it.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts