Defensive Carry banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been thinking about this for a while. I've wanted a Plate Carrier vest set up for some time and I've decided to go a head and get one. It will most likely hang in the closet and be worn little unless the SHTF of course. I've been looking at several different makes and models. But having never owned one, just worn what was issued to me in the sandbox back in the day, and I'm sure they've changed a great deal since then. So if you have one or you have knowledge to pass on please do so.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Have you seen this thread?

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
How much do you want to spend? Do you want a cheaper model? Do you want quality?

When I became a Reserve Deputy, I began a search for a quality plate carrier. A company that has risen to the top is Called First Spear. I bought one of their plate carriers because it looked like it had really good shoulder padding that would stay in place. I still have it, and I wear it, along with my level IV plates when I walk for exercise, (or prepared for "other" things). Their "Tubes" system is solid and has stood the test of time. They also have a Military/LE discount.

Strandhögg™ SAPI Cut Plate Carrier

If you are looking to go cheaper, try here:
X-LITE GEN II PLATE CARRIER

or cheaper yet........

Reactions: airslot

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Too many things to buy, so little money.......

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
We have several threads already running that might interest you, here.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Steel armor is cheap but HEAVY. If I had to go back, Id either buy lighter weight, more expensive armor, or Id just buy a chest right from the start and forgo armor. The steel armor is so heavy that realistically, it isnt a great option for me. Im a 32 year old, who admittedly isnt in great shape, but Im a big, relatively strong guy at 6'5 240lbs, and a carrier with steel plates, rifle mags, pistol mags, medical equipment, other misc items, rifle, pistol, etc is more than Id realistically carry. If stuff went bad an I had to go, I would throw my plate carrier in the car and wear my lightweight chest rig.

Id much rather be able to move quickly and efficiently over time if I had to get on foot and hoof it across land. If rifle rounds start flying my way, things are likely already a loss.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts