Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never used my FL permit outside of Florida. I understand there is reciprocity between GA and FL. What should I be aware of while in Georgia? Is there a duty to inform LEOs? Do signs carry the force of law? (This is NO and NO in FL). Anything else important I should know? How about stand your ground? Does the castle doctrine apply in a hotel room and car like in FL? Thanks.

·
Registered
430 Posts
A couple of differences-
-in FL, establishments that serve alcohol are off limits (in the portion that is primarily devoted to that purpose), where as in GA, bars & other establishments that serve alcohol are not off limits.
-In GA, legally, there is no distinction between carrying concealed or openly. Wherever it is legal to carry concealed, it's legal to openly carry also.
- Signs do not carry weight of law. If asked to leave, you must leave. But that is a trespass issue, not a firearm issue.
- No duty to inform LEO that you are carrying.
- LEO cannot stop & detain you solely to inquire whether you have a permit to carry or not
- Car carry is ok, even without permit. You may carry anywhere in vehicle, openly or concealed, in any condition

Another website to take a look at, besides handgunlaw.us, is georgiapacking.org- Georgia Gun Laws in Plain English on GeorgiaPacking.org

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice, better than FL it seems. That's great, Thanks.

Now just need to decide which one to take...G19 most likely.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Savannah is a great city. Another thing to keep in mind is that GA does not currently allow Campus Carry on college properties (we're working on it). Savannah College of Art & Design (SCAD) owns a lot of property around town & it isn't always marked as a campus property.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
I'm surprised there's anything worthwhile left in Georgia after Brady's march.

Sorry. :embarassed:

NOT! :wave:

Heck, I was rooting for the Falcons!

·
Registered
480 Posts
What potsticker said. Don't rely on internet chat forums to have people make legal decisions about carrying a concealed weapon for you or you may find yourself behind bars.

Handgunlaw.us

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Long time ago, visiting Savanna, with a girl friend. The drinks we asked for, came super size! The barmaid said "Do you want it in a to go glass?" So into a plastic glass, lid on top, and off we went! Driving, drinking.

That night we were walking, Patrol Car... "Sir why are you walking?" It soon became obvious, not a good idea. They gave us a lift back to the Motel. I felt like a dummy. I think he said under his breath... Canadians. True. Years after, now a Citizen, living in Florida, CCW Glock 19. Felt much more relaxed then.

My Wife loves Savanna.

Still a beautiful City.

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I was in Savannah last September for a few days. Stayed on Tybee Island. Georgia doesn't share reciprocity with Virginia. We recognize their permits but they don't recognize ours. Had to make some special dispensations for my M&P 9 Shield. I wasn't very fond of not being able to carry. Several calls to their attorney general's office answered most of my questions but still left me unarmed for my visit.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
</script>tabindex="1">Are you going to Savannah for St. Patty's day?

If so have a great time, but be careful it can get pretty wild.:approve:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone. I did read the NRA ILA and Georgia State sites related to gun laws, however I appreciate certain details like the one from awanatech mentioning about properties around the city owned by a college. This is not something that you would find under the state law pages.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind: No church carry at this time, and no carry in govt buildings. We are working on both of these. The "no carry in govt buildings" ruling specifically excepts rest stops.

Another source of information: Georgia Carry : An information clearinghouse for Georgia Firearms License issues and news
There is "church carry" here in GA IF the church has a policy allowing it. The quote below is from Georgia Carry : An information clearinghouse for Georgia Firearms License issues and news » Frequently Asked Questions
The church we attend encourages concealed carry. There are several churches in my county that permit concealed carry.

" Q: Can I carry to or at church?
A: No, unless the church has a policy of allowing carry in their individual church. HB60 modified church carry so if you are caught carrying a weapon in a church that does not allow carry, you will be ticketed and fined up to $100. You will also be subject to losing your GWL for up to 5 years. You may have a weapon in your car in the parking lot with a valid Georgia Weapons License which has been legal since SB308 was signed into law on June 4, 2010. "

·
Banned
854 Posts
Nice, better than FL it seems. That's great, Thanks.

Now just need to decide which one to take...G19 most likely.
The devil went down to Georgia and all he brought was his fiddle.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I was in Savannah last September for a few days. Stayed on Tybee Island. Georgia doesn't share reciprocity with Virginia. We recognize their permits but they don't recognize ours. Had to make some special dispensations for my M&P 9 Shield. I wasn't very fond of not being able to carry. Several calls to their attorney general's office answered most of my questions but still left me unarmed for my visit.
Love Tybee Island! Stayed with our travel trailer at the campground on the island. Only thing I didn't care for were all the feral cats running around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
There is "church carry" here in GA IF the church has a policy allowing it. The quote below is from Georgia Carry : An information clearinghouse for Georgia Firearms License issues and news » Frequently Asked Questions
The church we attend encourages concealed carry. There are several churches in my county that permit concealed carry.

" Q: Can I carry to or at church?
A: No, unless the church has a policy of allowing carry in their individual church. HB60 modified church carry so if you are caught carrying a weapon in a church that does not allow carry, you will be ticketed and fined up to $100. You will also be subject to losing your GWL for up to 5 years. You may have a weapon in your car in the parking lot with a valid Georgia Weapons License which has been legal since SB308 was signed into law on June 4, 2010. "
Thank you for that correction, I missed that change. I should point out, however, an out-of-state visitor is unlikely to be able to identify those churches which allow church carry.

In my area, I know of no churches allowing church carry.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Love Tybee Island! Stayed with our travel trailer at the campground on the island. Only thing I didn't care for were all the feral cats running around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Something that Tybee could use is a few better motels. But I liked the place as soon as we arrived. It has a certain charm to it that is kinda unique.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts