Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I and my lovely wife will be vacationing in Pigeon forge/ Gatlinburg TN for a few days this summer.

I have a few questions regarding CCW in TN. I looked up the law, but couldn't translate a few of the finer points from legalese, to english.

#1 Is a posted business off limits, by law?

#2 Is the resturant off limits if it serves wine? (I don't drink, btw,)

#3 State parks?

#4 Any especially nice firing ranges/gun shops down that way?

#5 this is a bit off topic, but if you have been to Pigeon Forge, or Gatlinburg, is there anything there that is a must see/do?

Thanks!

Bryan

·
Super Moderator
24,264 Posts
Well, isn't Piegon Forge where "Dolly World" is? Does she really use those for CC? That's WHAT I've heard! &^%$##$%(*&^ Wow.....:redface:

You might try this too: http://www.handgunlaw.us/ It was "down" when I just tried it, but it has some nice summaries.

Have fun!

·
Registered
651 Posts
#5, Ripley's Museum is fun. Also check out Smokey Mountain Knife Works. Tons of new knives and what not for sale, but the real attractions for me are the collections and displays of old knives and cutlery. Do a google search for SMKW to get hours, directions, etc.

Have fun, John

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jarhead79 said:
Thanks, but that is where I was having trouble with the legalese.

Rock and Glock said:
Well, isn't Piegon Forge where "Dolly World" is? Does she really use those for CC? That's WHAT I've heard! &^%$##$%(*&^ Wow.....:redface:

You might try this too: http://www.handgunlaw.us/ It was "down" when I just tried it, but it has some nice summaries.

Have fun!
Um, yes, I don't know, and I am NOT about to ask.
Handgunlaw was down when I tried looking this up, which is another reason I posted here. LOL!

Actually it is back up now, but I am not much clearer on a couple of points.

#1 Can I carry and eat in a resturant that serves wine or beer?

#2 If a building has a "no guns" sign is it off limits legally?

jhh3rd said:
#5, Ripley's Museum is fun. Also check out Smokey Mountain Knife Works. Tons of new knives and what not for sale, but the real attractions for me are the collections and displays of old knives and cutlery. Do a google search for SMKW to get hours, directions, etc.

Have fun, John
Actually Ripleys was already high on my list, but SMKW... OOooooh! Now there is some place I am going to have to spend some quality time. :)

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Ripleys Aquarium....
Can't carry in an establishment that sells alchohol for on premises consumption... (Applebee's, etc.)
If a business has "no carry" postings, then you may not carry....(rare)
State parks are "no carry"....

·
Registered
29 Posts
I second dim mak & jhh3rd.When you're at SMKW be sure & check out the 'discount shack'-usually good deals on seconds & overstocks.
SMKW carrys some good fudge too*G*.

·
Premium Member
6,539 Posts
A posted business is off-limits for CCW.

A restaurant that serves alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises is off-limits for CCW.

State parks are off-limits for CCW, as are national parks and forests (by state law) for CCW.

With questions four and five, others must help you.

On a more cheerful note, enjoy your stay!!

·
Super Moderator
19,009 Posts
no legal info, but lots of beautiful state and national park system trails to explore. have fun. We stayed a week and it was great.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, everyone!

I am kinda bummed out over not being able to carry in some of the resturants, and state parks.

Looks like I need to garb a can of OC spray. LOL!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Indoor Range

I have visited Pigeon Forge several times, really love it there the people are what makes it.

There is a great indoor range just a few miles away, again it is run by great folk.
Here it is.

http://www.sevierindoorrange.com/

PS as others have said Do not miss Smoky Mountain Knife Works. It alone is worth the trip

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
#1 Is a posted business off limits, by law?
If it's posted with the proper 30.06 signage. The "gun picture in ban sign" isn't "formal" but I think all they can do is boot you off the premises and maybe cause some inconvenience with the cops.

#2 Is the resturant off limits if it serves wine? (I don't drink, btw,)
Yes. Any establishment that serves alcohol for on-site consumption is off-limits.

#3 State parks?
Yes, state parks are off limits. Don't forget about the bear that killed the 6 year-old girl here in TN recently. :mad:

#4 Any especially nice firing ranges/gun shops down that way?
I don't remember any, but I'll bet there are.

#5 this is a bit off topic, but if you have been to Pigeon Forge, or Gatlinburg, is there anything there that is a must see/do?

I've been several times. Traffic is extremely slow going through the area, so plan to make time if you've got a dinner reservation, etc! Visit the Veteran's War Memorial Museum. I did not see Dollywood; my husband says it's smaller than you think it should be. And as others have said, go to Smoky Mountain Knife Works, Ripley's museum & aquarium. Go to town early and find a parking spot, and there's shops everywhere. Wear your walking shoes! :yup:

·
Registered
602 Posts
I used to vist the Pigeon forge/ Gatlinburg area many decades ago. I couldn't believe the development when I went back about 3 years ago. EVERYTHING has changed. Far too commercial for me now. But I know that is not what you asked. Have a great trip and be safe. :smile:

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, looks like I will be spending some quality time in sevierville, between SMKW, the range and the applebarn. Yum! Even if I do have to eat while feelin naked. LOL!

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
GoodSamaritan said:
Thanks, looks like I will be spending some quality time in sevierville, between SMKW, the range and the applebarn. Yum! Even if I do have to eat while feelin naked. LOL!

Glad you asked this stuff. Heading down there in August to look at potential wedding sites. :)

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Also check out Ober Gatlinburg, there's a big sky tram that'll take you up to the resort - really nice ride. Up inside the park, take a drive through Cades Cove, the original settlement - lots of woodland critters: Wild turkey, whitetail, etc. (stay in the car, they DO have blackbear) The Grizz mill sells their own flour, cornmeal etc. sorta neat to see the old place. Last time I was there Pidgeon Forge had one of those indoor skydiving rooms too. I never got around to trying it but I've heard they have a nice setup. Highly recommend walking the main drag in Gatlinburg, lots of interesting little shops - Acorns carries knifemaking supplies and the Fudge/candy shop is good).
Jack

·
Registered
68 Posts
Is Ripley's Aquarium posted? The last time I was there they had a sign at the ticket booth that said no firearms (or something like that). However, I saw no signs at the entrance doors. (Which should mean that there is no legal prohibition there.)

They did search bags (including my camera bag) but did not ask about nor notice the handgun in my pocket.

·
Registered
146 Posts
GoodSamaritan said:
Be sure to pick up some Applebutter at the Applebarn. Also if you like great ribs Calhouns it the place.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts