Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to Ringling brothers circus this sunday. I plan on carrying there just in case one of those 500lb bengal tigers gets loose and comes near me or my family. Does anyone know anything about if this is legal and if they will do any kind of search whatsoever. Please let me know I need to know before this sunday cause I would really like carry. I'm a big believer in murphy's law.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Bengal tiger?

It's the clowns I'd be concerned about. You just can't trust someone who paints their face.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I plan on carrying there just in case one of those 500lb bengal tigers gets loose and comes near me or my family.
This is a joke right?

I'm with West Virginia on this one... clowns are a far greater concern for me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've worked with the circus before, (they were a client of mine) the issue is not so much with the animals but the clowns...

Fear the clown

·
Registered
891 Posts
I believe the circus is at the St Pete Times forum this week. I've been there for concerts and there was no problem. However, for sporting events it's prohibited by statute. I wouldn't think the circus to be a professional sporting event but you may want to make sure.

from Section 12 of FS 790.06

or professional athletic event not related to firearms

·
Registered
38,008 Posts
Make sure you follow the advice given in Alaska when someone asks about what size handgun to protect thenselves from bears with.

Doesn't matter; just file the front sight down so tyou don't chip your front teeth when you use the last shot on yourself.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Be careful if you have to shoot a clown. They squeek when hit, and they die a little funny.
If you bag one don't ask to take it home, I hear they taste funny too.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
It is venue dependent.

My wife worked for Feld Entertainment at the headquarters building in Fairfax for several years in their marketing dept.
I've met Kenneth Feld and been to two of their employee picnics in the past and are still friendly with people there.
We've been to numerous RB circus events as well as Disney on Ice shows (all are owned by Feld Entertainment) up to this past year when we took our kids for the first time. I carry and carried.

The circus (Feld) does not provide event security, that is left up to the venue operator.
Bottom line as usual with anything else carry related reference your state laws first followed by county and local (city/town) ordinances. Also contact the venue operator and ask if they have a _licensed_ and lawful carry protocol.
Do not ask "Is this allowed", because knee jerk response will be a a pat and 'safe' no answer.

In my own case I do the above and then secondarily I will go to the venues website before hand to check for any clues as against. Also I have in the past and will go to the venue in person as days/weeks prior during some other event to see how site security is managed. Do you see any magnetrons installed or hand held? Is security private or local police?

Bottom line this is no different than attending a concert or some other event where a thousand or more people will be congregating at a semi-public place as for a private scheduled event.

Do your recon and then enjoy the show.

- Janq

·
Registered
484 Posts
I carry at the circus every year in Jacksonville, FL. I've never been searched whatsoever. It doesn't fall under any of FL's no carry rules. I've also carried at Disney on Ice a couple of times.

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
I know a lot about the Circus, I work at one...errrr, sort of...:rolleyes:

I have heard things about the clowns, I knew a canibal once who ate one, he said it tasted 'funny'.:rofl:

To the OP...
Good luck with that pistola and a 500lb tiger...be sure to be wearing brown pants.:yup:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
alright haha-funny-ha. jokes galore... now I think I've only gotten a few answers worth noting. Enough of the mocking please

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Sorry RogerThat but you did bring up the tiger thing. If it is not posted you will be ok as far as searches I have no idea....if it was me I would carry until I figured out if it was pasted or if they were doing searches if they were I would return to my car and lock my firearm in the com safe.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I love the circus. I used to buy front row seats so I could smell the elephants as they went by. I did worry a bit when animals that big were mere feet away, but nothing bad happened. The tigers won't be in the parade, but I used to go out back where the cages were and stick my finger in to touch the tiger's fur. I still have all my fingers.
As far as danger, I would think the elephants would be first, and a cc weapon won't do anything. The next danger is an trapeze artist falling on you. Enjoy. A little fear is part of the excitement.

Shooting in a crowded arena wouldn't be a good idea.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
The original question was, can you carry at the circus (obviously only FL law is applicable, presuming the circus is in FL, since that is where you are).

You didn't mention where it was.
Unless it is in a courthouse, school, etc., why not?

I don't see anything that would lead to believe it was a professional sporting event.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Cirus, sporting event?

I don't think a circus would be considered a sporting event. No one keeps score. No one "Wins".

Unfortunatley in Michigan we cannot carry into an entertainment venue that seats 2000 or 2500 people.
I guess I will need a big rubber hammer to protect me from the clowns!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts