Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow my Mom was planning on taking my youngest son who is 17 years old to see the new Joker movie coming out. My son has Cerebral Palsy and uses arm crutches to get around and moves slowly due to his handicap. I usually dont go to movies however I am going to be attending this one as my son is a huge fan and he deserves a good night out being a kid, so I am going this time to help out my mom who is in her 70's and keep an eye open for any possible issues that could arise even how small that percentage could be im not taking any chances. I heard someplace that security is up all over the country as this movie could bring out the crazies. I will be bringing my full size Smith & Wesson M&P .40 with 2 extra mags for a total of 45 rounds and have my weapon mounted flashlight in my cargo pocket as well to quickly attach and illuminate the area if need be. I will also have a small surefire flashlight in my pocket for the not so emergency emergency. It is a shame I have to be concerned like this but it is how things are these days and you are better off having things on your person and not needing them than needing them and not having them.
Anyone else going to go see it soon? Any one else do what im doing if so? Any advice or tips?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Go to a matinee showing. Typically less people, and more polite people overall. If you can, go on a weekday. Odds are good you won't have any trouble, but making better choices as to when to go helps out even more.

·
Registered
318 Posts
As far as I know, there has been only one mass shooting in a theater in the US... Ever. That puts your odds of dying on the way to the theater or in the parking lot about a thousand times higher.
Only tips I have are wear your seat belt, try not to cut anyone off, look both ways before your cross a street, and carry what you always carry.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Go to a matinee showing. Typically less people, and more polite people overall. If you can, go on a weekday. Odds are good you won't have any trouble, but making better choices as to when to go helps out even more.
And matinees are usually cheaper! ;)

Reactions: Sister

·
Registered
842 Posts
Most theaters around here have "no weapons" signs, so I don't carry -- unless going to the one with no sign,

I just carry my pocket j frame (or LCR) and an extra speed strip.

Frankly, I'd say there is no need to be armed to the teeth when just going to a movie.

But if it makes you comfortable, go for it. You know your area and I don't.

Have a great time. That movie is on my list for next week.

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
Isn't it sad that we even have to have this conversation? But, that's what our world has become.

·
Premium Member
4,021 Posts
Cinemark here in town has a no guns sign. But it is not a legal 30.06 mandated sign.
So i ignore it. Have carried in there for years, if they catch me they can ask me to leave and I will..
I always carry in theaters. The only way out is in front past the shooter, no exits behind me.

·
Registered
34,673 Posts
Reactions: Bad Bob

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
My local theater used to allow concealed carry. Then, the open carry law went into effect. The theater immediately put up 30.06 and 30.07 (Texas statutes prohibiting concealed carry and open carry, respectively.) My wife and I used to go see a movie once or twice a month. We don't see many movies at the theater any more. It's not that I really expect anything would happen, but I hate being in gun free zones.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think in Florida, all those signs have no legal standing, other than they can ask you to leave. That would include movie theaters.

·
Registered
681 Posts
My advice is to wait until it comes out on TV. At least stay away from opening night.

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
Probably a good idea to give your mom a light as well, they may need to move out away from you. It would help them quite a bit.

Reactions: Pete63

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Hate to say it and know the odds (low) but I’m a nervous wreck in a movie theater, feel like a sitting duck the whole time as to where I really can’t enjoy the movie. No way would I sit there without my gun so prolly leaves a lot of the theaters out.

I’ll wait till we can see it at home, not worth the price esp if your nervous. If your not then enjoy it. BTW, looks like a great movie ~ do want to see it will wait until it’s out on DVD.

Reactions: Pete63 and OldChap

·
Registered
34,673 Posts
Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep...

If I had to get this concerned about doing anything, I would do nothing. Go see the movie and try to enjoy it--if you can stop looking over your shoulder long enough.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I would up arm slightly and skip the opening weekend showings- too crowded anyway.

Reactions: luckydog
1 - 20 of 29 Posts