Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past several years I've always carried IWB concealed. Only times that I open carry is when I'm teaching a class or at the range, even then I'm still wearing my IWB rig. Was at the range yesterday with a friend who was OWBing a 9mm 1911. Couldn't ever tell he was... Anyway I found out he was using a Vedder OWB paddle and really had a nice slim profile... So... $59.00 plus shipping and tax later, I have one on the way....

·
Administrator
144,949 Posts
It features a 15° adjustable cant (or rake) & (for sure) I would take full advantage of that.
Move that gun butt up for better OWB concealment and just get used to it.

I OWB carry a 1911 with an even more extreme "forward rake" but, my holsters are all custom.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reactions: PD1097 and NavCop

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread and posting the link, Mike. (y) The main reason I have not been carrying concealed OWB is the lack of a good belt clip. I take my gun on and off too much to have the holster threaded thru my belt all day. The Vedder looks good -- I have Vedder IWBs for all my pistols. Hadn't seen this new model!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for starting this thread and posting the link, Mike. (y) The main reason I have not been carrying concealed OWB is the lack of a good belt clip. I take my gun on and off too much to have the holster threaded thru my belt all day. The Vedder looks good -- I have Vedder IWBs for all my pistols. Hadn't seen this new model!
Welcome,
I'm with you on that. I work from home and just run out to the corner store, or wherever. Sometimes only a few times per week or 2 or 3 times per day so it becomes a pain sometimes to unbuckle insert holster, buckle back up and go. Doing a regular belt holster is just to much.. I'm not as squeamish as I used to be about printing anymore either, but still don't want to open carry.

As my metabolism has slowed down over the years, the wonderful spare tire I have grown is also making it more difficult to IWB. My pants stick out and makes it harder to keep them from sagging... and NO before anyone asks, appendix is 100% out of the question....

I paid for faster shipping so should be here in a few days... I'll post before and after photos of me carrying my old rig VS my new Vedder....

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
Welcome,
I'm with you on that. I work from home and just run out to the corner store, or wherever. Sometimes only a few times per week or 2 or 3 times per day so it becomes a pain sometimes to unbuckle insert holster, buckle back up and go. Doing a regular belt holster is just to much.. I'm not as squeamish as I used to be about printing anymore either, but still don't want to open carry.

As my metabolism has slowed down over the years, the wonderful spare tire I have grown is also making it more difficult to IWB. My pants stick out and makes it harder to keep them from sagging... and NO before anyone asks, appendix is 100% out of the question....

I paid for faster shipping so should be here in a few days... I'll post before and after photos of me carrying my old rig VS my new Vedder....
Agree 100% with the on/off 2-3 times a day. Also the appendix carry thing -- tried it with the several holsters including the best AIWB holster on the market. Nope.
Coat Organ Human Comfort Wood

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've had good results with my Fobus Paddle Holsters for my 38 and Taurus 911 Pro. Just have to be sure shirt covers even if you raise your arm. (I am a hefty guy and found them quite comfortable)

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
It features a 15° adjustable cant (or rake) & (for sure) I would take full advantage of that.
Move that gun butt up for better OWB concealment and just get used to it.

I OWB carry a 1911 with an even more extreme "forward rake" but, my holsters are all custom.
I also use a more aggressive cant at 30 degrees for my 1911, also a custom holster. I believe it does provide better concealment, but my main reason is that a standard 15 degree cant has the barrel pressing on my hip and it HURTS after a while.

When I'm dressed, I'm carrying, so I use a pancake holster. For those brief Post Office trips, I don't bother removing the entire gun and holster combo, the gun comes out and either gets put on the nightstand or on the table beside my wife (she works from home). Holster remains covered by my untucked shirt.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fedex says Monday delivery, I have a class that day so I probably won't be able to take my pictures, etc and post.. But should on Tuesday.

Kind of a side note. I'm also rethinking my daily wear. 95% of the time during warm weather ( May to October here in Dallas), I'm in a T-shirt. I'm thinking about going with a thin muscle shirt (Black or Blue) with a regular button up shirt left unbuttoned over that. yea, maybe a little warmer than a regular t-shirt but it's not like I'm out in the sun all day. As I mentioned in the OP, went to the range with another instructor last week which prompted this whole change. While doing drills, I'm just noticing more trouble getting my t-shirt up and away to unholster. Granted I believe most of my problems stem around my spare tire and my shirts fitting a bit tighter than they should. Problem is if I moved up a size then the entire shirt becomes to large and I look like a slob.

As far as the possibility of anyone seeing my EDC with a unbuttoned shirt, I'm just not worried about it. There is no penalty here if a concealed weapon becomes visible accidentally.

Anywho... I'll update next week....

Reactions: PD1097 and NavCop

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Holster arrived today and I've been playing with it around the house. So far I like it. I've got some errands to run today so I'm going out for a test spin. Already I can feel a difference in how my pants fit... I.E not having to hike them up every few minutes... I'm sporting a back t-shirt tucked in and a light poly short sleeve mens shirt over it. I tend to go large so the shirt is doing a great job of hiding my gun. I'll get some pictures taken later on and post on my experience.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I did a quick drive to the car wash and then corner store. Got back home and did a bit of drawing from my holster.

I've carried both IWB and OWB with a jacket for quite a few years now, so no surprises for me. The only difference was going with a OWB paddle and not have the gun stick out from my side 3 inches... The Vedder paddle is compact but very sturdy and does not move when I holster or unholster. Also just like OWB before, my pants stay put. With IWB my jeans are pulled away from my body which allows them to droop...

Anyway, as promised, pictures below... So far I'm a satisfied customer. The last few will show my old IWB rig and how the pants are pulled away from the body...

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
My favorite paddle holster is one of the Safariland models. Nice secure paddle and comfortably contoured. It also has one of the retention features of there duty holsters.

·
Premium Member
6,231 Posts
Thanks, Mike, I appreciate your post and pictures. I especially like the non-drooping aspect of this. I've mitigated that for IWB by having the proper tension in my belt, but sometimes I don't get it right and things tend to go south.

·
Premium Member
6,231 Posts
Got my Vedder paddle today, and I am pleased with the comfort. It works well for me, but it does print considerably with just a T shirt. I've carried IWB for so long that it will take a while to get comfortable with it. Not a legal issue in Arizona, but I still don't like to advertise. I think it will be great once I get used to it. Thanks, Mike.

Reactions: PD1097

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got my Vedder paddle today, and I am pleased with the comfort. It works well for me, but it does print considerably with just a T shirt. I've carried IWB for so long that it will take a while to get comfortable with it. Not a legal issue in Arizona, but I still don't like to advertise. I think it will be great once I get used to it. Thanks, Mike.
Sorry for the late reply, I was out of town camping. Glad you like yours to. I’ve had a week to get used to mine an I really like it as well. Like you said, it does print more than my IWB setup but it’s no comparison in ease of putting on and taking off. I went out and got 3 more button up shirts to wear over my black t shirts. A lot quicker access and draw now. I just don’t care if anyone notices but I doubt seriously anyone has or would, it’s just not on anyones radar.

Reactions: NavCop

·
Premium Member
6,231 Posts
Wore it around the house yesterday with a t shirt; worked fine, very comfortable. Tried it with a heavier button collar shirt for church this morning; nope, stuck out badly. I think I can get things worked out to use it most of the time, anyway. I do like the comfort very much.

Reactions: demanic

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have decided to switch to OWB conceal carry. I despise IWB and just can’t get used to appendix. I prefer baggy clothes so will rely on my garment to help conceal my pistol at the 3 o clock position.
I picked up an inexpensive OWB holster for my 9mm and it has been working great. I ordered the Cloak Belt holster from Alien Gear so I have high hopes it will work even better.
I have come to the conclusion that, with the right clothing and handgun, it’s not much harder to conceal OWB than IWB, and it is a hell of a lot more comfortable.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts