Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I used a 130 gr core-lokt bullet for my 270 for deer and elk. With the deer it was dead before it hit the ground. The elk had a lot more fight left in him, but still took him down quick. I was going to use the 35 Whelen this year, but I haven't been shooting it consistently. I will take the blame for that with the bum shoulder and am probably flinching. So I have done some load development and have been shooting Hornady SST 130 grain bullets pretty damn consistently. They are going about 2950, so not close to the max by any means, but accurate.

Some say the SST's like to blow up on impact. Anyone ever use them for hunting?

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
My uncle used to hunt elk every year in Wyoming. He got one every year with a .270 and this was before long before high tech bullets. Use what you shoot best which sounds like the .270!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Nothing wrong with that. I have several friends that live in Colorado and they use 30-06, .270, or good old .308 ....thats it nothing fancy no uber long range calibers or anything super powerful needed.

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
270 is a GREAT caliber. Very flat shooter. Sorry I can't give you any analysis of that particular cartridge (the SST)' I wouldn't not want to use a cartridge that didn't get sufficient penetration on big game so I suggest you look at some data on it.

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: 270 Win :: 270 Win 130 gr SST® Superformance®

Bullets - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc

Internal Ballistics - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc

External Ballistics - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/ballistics/2016-Metric-Ballistics.pdf

And one Youtube sequence where a guy takes an Onyx with that round. As you can see a hit works - a miss, not so much lol.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
270 is a GREAT caliber. Very flat shooter. Sorry I can't give you any analysis of that particular cartridge (the SST)' I wouldn't not want to use a cartridge that didn't get sufficient penetration on big game so I suggest you look at some data on it.
Thank you for all of the links.

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
After a few shoulder surgeries, I have retired my big kicking rifles. 30-30, 7mm Mauser, 6.5x55 mauser, and 30-06 are what I hunt with now. Within range any of these will stop an Elk. Good Luck DR

·
Registered
326 Posts
My DAD bought a 721 Remington .270 Win . in Climax , CO in 1955 . He's 89 now . Any time he loans it to a close family member it leaves his house with his admonishment to 'not teach it any bad habits' ..... It's been a 1 shot , 1 kill rifle since 1955 on whatever it was pointed at .

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got the camper in the back of the truck, and will be leaving about 4 am Saturday morning. Im bringing some 130 grain core-lokts with just in case. Also Im bringing the 35 Whelen as a back up, those loads are 225 gr Sierra SP, going about 2500 fps. You never know what can happen, there has been a grizzly sighting in the area recently. For a sidearm, Im bringing one of the 10mms, and one of the 44 mags. Funny thing is I am actually going to be hunting on land owned by the Montana State Prison. They have about 30,000-35,000 acres open (depending on who you ask), and lots more National Forest that borders the land. Google Maps doesn't do a good job of showing public land in the area like National Forest or BLM. Its a big playground to say the least.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Used the 270 for years great hunting arm. I found that the 150 grain Nosler partition worked best on the bigger mule deer and elk, at least in my rifle. Might check it out.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I use a BAR in 270 to hunt deer. Use Hornady 140 SST. The only problem if they are to close when you shoot them, they don't relize they are hit for a couple of minutes. Any deer I have shot at a 100 yards or further fall dead in their tracks. If I shoot them at 75 and under if the bullet passes through they run about 50 yards.

·
Registered
20,115 Posts
The 270 Win is my favorite big game caliber.
For Elk or moose, I would go with a 140-150 weight bullet like a Nosler Partition as already suggested, or a Hornady Interlock design.
A Barnes bullet would be a secondary option, but they tend to run a little long to make weight and take up case capacity....although as I understand it, due to their all copper construction, you can go lighter weight.

Reactions: OldVet

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just finished day 4 of the hunting trip. Days 1 and 2 I hiked about 14 miles a day. Day 3 about 8-9, Day 4 about 12. I have shed a lot of extra weight, like the bipod, sidearm: Glock 20 (sorry glockman10mm), extra water, extra batteries, extra socks, extra shirt, as I am a walking zombie. On Wednesday my friend fired at an elk in thick timber, and must of missed cause there was no blood or elk on the ground. Seen a lot of deer and elk on private land in the valley, they seem to go low in the evening. Still got 3 days left.

My friend is carrying a Remington 7400 chambered in 270, he said hes too old for magnum cartridges, as he used a 300 RUM for the last 10 years. The 270 has never disappointed me; I am already thinking about what gun I want to take next year. I was thinking a Henry Longranger in 308 if they do another production run, or if I feel very rich get a Christensen in 270.

·
Registered
20,115 Posts
I just finished day 4 of the hunting trip. Days 1 and 2 I hiked about 14 miles a day. Day 3 about 8-9, Day 4 about 12. I have shed a lot of extra weight, like the bipod, sidearm: Glock 20 (sorry glockman10mm), extra water, extra batteries, extra socks, extra shirt, as I am a walking zombie. On Wednesday my friend fired at an elk in thick timber, and must of missed cause there was no blood or elk on the ground. Seen a lot of deer and elk on private land in the valley, they seem to go low in the evening. Still got 3 days left.

My friend is carrying a Remington 7400 chambered in 270, he said hes too old for magnum cartridges, as he used a 300 RUM for the last 10 years. The 270 has never disappointed me; I am already thinking about what gun I want to take next year. I was thinking a Henry Longranger in 308 if they do another production run, or if I feel very rich get a Christensen in 270.
Hey man, I feel your pain.
But you got it backwards; ditch the rifle and hunt with the pistol, then you will be light on your feet:)

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Funny you say that. I was thinking if I fill my elk tag, I will probably take the 460 Rowland (don't worry its on a Glock 21 platform) with me for deer, and help others with their elk.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts