Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in NJ, so the only time I've ever carried a gun was on the range. I've done LFI 1,2 and 3 as well as Gabe Suarez' Interactive Gunfighting course.I have an nonresident VA CCW and start a new job down there on Tuesday (1/2/06). I will be renting a room in a private home temporarily and at the moment, have no idea of what kind of neighborhood it is or how secure the house/room will be. (The lady tells me it is a safe neighborhood, but she is trying to rent out the room)

The only carry gun I have is a full size 1911 with an IWB holster.

The job is with a company that rents office space, so it doesn't control the parking lot. I don't have a gun safe in the car, and I don't want to show up on the first day carrying.

Does anyone have any suggestions or things I should know about relative to carrying in VA? (I intend to take a VA CCW course ASAP after I'm down there)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have. What I'm looking for is more in the line of thoughts, impressions, and things to keep in mind from real people.

·
Super Moderator
25,562 Posts
Have you checked about just converting your non-res?

I also think they are one of the states that take a DD 214 for training if you've ever been in the military.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The DD-214 is what I used to get the non-res. My reason for taking the course is just to have an interaction with someone who is certified to teach CCW "stuff" as it applies in Virginia. I won't be converting until my wife gets her security clearance and moves down so we can get permanent home. Until then, it's only a temporary move.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I don't want to show up on the first day carrying.
Grn - <nudge> - concealed is concealed'' ?!!

Safest place for it is on the person - and unless they have legit ban notices and metal detectors - well - <clears throat> - hmmm? :wink:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Packing In VA

grnzbra said:
I have. What I'm looking for is more in the line of thoughts, impressions, and things to keep in mind from real people.

I assume you are going to be located in NOVA? We are very diffrent people in the Shenandoah Valley region and the same can be said about those along the coast and south western parts of the state. The local ATF field agent recently advised that we (valley folks) have the highest per captia ownership of class 3 weapons in the US which means that we really like our guns. I am LEO myself and can also say with complete confidence that LEO's in my area are for private ownership and concealed carry of weapons by a vast majority. If you don't draw attention to yourself no one really gives a dam! One of the interesting side notes is that VA allows open carry in most areas and you will see that on occassion too. So, having said that tell us where you are going to be located and we can give you more specific advise. As to vehicle/weapons security I personaly use a cable and lock to secure my weapon to the mounting point of my pickup seat when I leave my piece behind (which is very rare) and feel comfortable with that aproach.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Nova

grnzbra said:
Falls Church - Annandale

Ok, NOVA is diffrent but you will find many active shooting sports people in your area. I suggest you check with VCDL as they are good folk and stay ative in CCW topic. When you are ready to travel and explore give me a shout and we will bust some caps in the valley.

Take care,
Adrian

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
grnzbra,

Welcome to the free United States. NOVA or NoVA or NoVa is area shorthand for Northern Virginia. (Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William Counties and the Cities of Alexandria and Falls Church) Some will also include Clarke, Frederick, and Faquier Counties in NoVa because of the sprawl factor. You are living in Fairfax County (NoVa), at least for now. Where you chose to live on a more permanent basis will vary the attitude towards concealed carry.

I will send you a PM on your other topic. I taught concealed carry courses in VA for many years and I can probably help you out with some info.

-Scott-

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. We're looking at Alexandria because my wife is going to work at Bolling whenever her security clearance comes through.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Welcome. :)

Get a membership at the NRA Range. It's the nicest indoor range around.

Regarding your wife and her clearances, there are a lot of companies around here that'll love to speak with her if she has a clearance and tech skills. Those two in combination (tech and clearance) is almost a free meal ticket.

Chris

·
Registered
749 Posts
As a VA resident I would say:

Depends, VA is such a large state that it really matters where you are moving to. However VCDL has been extremely vigilant in ensuring all localities follow the very liberal state laws. Most restaurants in my area are perfectly fine with the required open carry. Without a CCW you may open carry anywhere that you can CCW except a school parking lot (there you must be concealed and in your car). I have open carried on the occasions that it was entierly too humid to CCW and have had no issues here.

As I believe was said earlier (and since I grew up in NJ)...

WELCOME TO A FREE STATE

·
Super Moderator
25,562 Posts
grnzbra said:
Thanks. We're looking at Alexandria because my wife is going to work at Bolling whenever her security clearance comes through.
That could be an ugly commute, but is sure better than living in DC or Maryland. Years ago the Air Force at Bolling ran a boat for senior officers between Bolling and the Pentagon, just to save time.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you everyone for your comments, they are much appreciated.

Happy New Year.

Grab life by the throat and take a bite!

Lind

·
Registered
23 Posts
Welcome to Virginia! It's a great state to live and carry in. :biggrin2:

Beware of restaurants that serve alcohol! You must open carry if alcohol is served on the premises, even if you're not drinking. Some restaurants ban firearms, including lawfully carried handguns, so be prepared to speak with a manager if you visit one. VCDL has a list of some anti-gun businesses to stay away from. We've been trying to overturn the restaurant ban for several years now, but it's been slow going.

Also, keep out of bars altogether whether concealed or open carrying, that is unless you work there.

As far as NOVA goes, it's a little more cosmopolitan around here than the more rural parts of Virginia. There are some people in the area who are completely dumbfounded when they see someone carrying a pistol. Be discreet and carry concealed whenever and wherever you can. It's your best bet against someone calling the police to report "a man with a gun". We have our fair share of liberal kooks and frightened grannies, so beware.

I second the suggestion to join VCDL--there are only a few thousand members, but together we've completely changed the CCW/self-defense landscape in Virginia in a matter of several years.

All in all, it's good place to live. We have it a lot better than Maryland, and not just with CCW. Welcome to the area, and enjoy!

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Scott said:
grnzbra,

Welcome to the free United States. NOVA or NoVA or NoVa is area shorthand for Northern Virginia. (Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William Counties and the Cities of Alexandria and Falls Church) Some will also include Clarke, Frederick, and Faquier Counties in NoVa because of the sprawl factor. You are living in Fairfax County (NoVa), at least for now. Where you chose to live on a more permanent basis will vary the attitude towards concealed carry.

I will send you a PM on your other topic. I taught concealed carry courses in VA for many years and I can probably help you out with some info.

-Scott-
My late mom's family is from Faquier County (Bealeton). It's where mom is now buried. I have the very last two cemetary lots in the whole cemetary (Cedar Grove), for my wife and myself in the family plot. Family has been farming the same land since1650 or thereabouts.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Welcome to the "Old Dominion" state. I lived in Manassas from 88 - 2000. It was a great community, but now swallowed up in the NOVA sprawl.
I am aware of a shooting club on Quantico Marine Base. I can't remember if it is open to the public or not, I was offered to join back in 97 for (oh geeze I hope I remember correct) $10 I think. Now It might have been because I was a contractor for the FBI at that time. I'd say it will be worth looking into. (Now that I think more about it, it might bepart of the FBI training facility.) Hope this helps.
VA is a great state, I kinda miss it a little. Developed a nasty allergy to all those tree pollens though. I'm allergy free now that I'm on the "treeless" prairie.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts