Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have in-laws in Chicago. I have to go, family obligation.

I'm still considered taking a glock in pieces and locking each piece in a seperate container or lock. Risk still feels high if I run into a traffic stop. I could be headed toward more trouble than I want.

It is not the state of IL, as IL state law makes some workable allowances for a traveling as an out of state resident. Would not be able to cc, but at least would not limit my ability to cc / have a firearm once I get out of the jurisdiction. Because of the destination has various ownership laws contrary to 2a (Chicago and burbs) I will not be able to be armed for the rest of the drive.

·
Premium Member
8,588 Posts
If it were me, I'd just leave the gun at home.

I've driven across the US in moves four times, and I go to Chicago every spring for a work event. Chances are you will be fine.*

* If you end up in a situation where you need a gun and you listened to me and left your gun at home, I apologize in advance.

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
If it were me, I'd just leave the gun at home.

I've driven across the US in moves four times, and I go to Chicago every spring for a work event. Chances are you will be fine.*

* If you end up in a situation where you need a gun and you listened to me and left your gun at home, I apologize in advance.
If that happens, an apology in advance is the only kind likely to be heard. :smile:

Since Chicago itself is by far the most likely place you'd need the gun, it seems like more trouble than it's worth. I'd suggest using whatever means of self-defense are legal and most effective. Pepper spray, taser, whatever they won't arrest you for (not sure if those are legal or not).

Reactions: Phaedrus

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I go to Chicago all the time...Cubs' games, Blackhawks' parades, Shedd Aquarium, all the museums, pizza, etc...it's a dangerous city, but one I feel completely safe in even though I never take my CC there. IMHO it's the greatest city in America with dumbest gun laws on the books. As mentioned above, I take all the other stuff, EDC knife, tactical pen, etc. Now there is also a difference if you are going to downtown Chicago, south side of Chicago or the suburbs of Chicago. I'm usually with groups of people, my wife and kids included, and still never feel un-safe. Have fun, be aware, care for your family, and be aware...did I mention be aware of your surroundings?

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Hope I never have to go to Chicago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
37,021 Posts
Sometimes, you are on your own. This would be one of those times.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I plan to never enter Illinois again. Definitely nothing I need in Chicago. I wish you luck. My wife and kids took a trip there about a month ago. The wife HATED it!!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Chicago is a cool city. I go unarmed. Maintain your situational awareness and mitigate risk the best you can. Otherwise, enjoy one of the world's great cities.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
When I trucked I went to Chicago all the time. Ive slept in the truck in some of the worst parts of that city. Chicago is strange in that you could be parked at 3 am trying catch a few winks in the bunk and hear gunfire a block down the street but the block I would be on would peaceful.

Had some weird approaches to the truck in that city and the Rotty that rode with me ripped one guys arm to shreds when he tried to get in the truck but other than that not much. That said Id never go back again unless I was armed. Of course I dont go anywhere that I cannot be armed and havent for years.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Chicago nice place not to go. but you have to do what you have to do!! now let your eyes/ears/ and nose help, be aware of your surroundings, gut feelings and you should be fine. Good Luck

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
When I trucked I went to Chicago all the time. Ive slept in the truck in some of the worst parts of that city. Chicago is strange in that you could be parked at 3 am trying catch a few winks in the bunk and hear gunfire a block down the street but the block I would be on would peaceful.

Had some weird approaches to the truck in that city and the Rotty that rode with me ripped one guys arm to shreds when he tried to get in the truck but other than that not much. That said Id never go back again unless I was armed. Of course I dont go anywhere that I cannot be armed and havent for years.
A good dog can be an excellent substitute for a gun in a pinch.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
I have in-laws in Chicago. I have to go, family obligation.

I'm still considered taking a glock in pieces and locking each piece in a seperate container or lock.
Hard to say whether the tradeoffs feel right, for you and your situation.

Myself, if nearby in a neighboring state and just driving across the border to Chicago, I'd leave the gun at the border (ie, for a cleaning at a shop) or at home. But I'd absolutely, positively go armed in another manner. I'd look into knives, sprays, canes, kubotan and the like ... any or all of these, or other tools.

·
Banned
2,030 Posts
Contrary to popular opinion Chicago, at least most of it, is not a shoot 'em up kind of place. My wife and I visit downtown Chicago on a fairly regular basis. The most disgusting thing about the city is the traffic. Keep in mind, most violence is crime on crime, bad guys hitting on other bad guys. You know the area you'll be staying in, be honest with yourself...how safe is it? When I travel through Illinois, I always keep my gun locked in a steel case with the ammo lock in another, but I never take it to Chicago. good luck

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I would look into an alternate weapon that you could take maybe pepper spray or a stun gun maybe a baton. And if atall possible stay away from the stupids

·
Registered
809 Posts
How about a kevlar vest? That would probably serve you better in Chicago anyway. As another poster said, most of the shootings are BG on BG. You're probably more likely to catch a stray bullet from a driveby than getting held up for your wallet.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I feel your pain. I have to drive through IL on my way to visit family, and I usually just lock it up when I'm filling up the gas tank on the border then don't stop until I get across the state. Sucks, but it is what it is. Like others have mentioned, you are probably going to be 'okay' without the carry piece. I'm assuming you won't be trolling the rough areas. Last time I physically went to Chicago, I stayed downtown and in other nice areas and was fine. OC spray, situational awareness, etc. and I made it out just fine. Only time I felt uncomfortable was dealing with panhandlers. Just relax and enjoy!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts