Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the subject of SD ammo is much discussed and it makes it difficult to decide. So, after all the reading of opinions and Dr. Roberts reports I have decided not to go crazy any longer. My choice for now will be the Speer Gold Dot .40S&W JHP.

My question is this, is there a big difference between using the 155gr or the 165gr in a 3.5" barrel (M&P40C)? I mean a real life difference.

I know there is a 180gr and some go for bigger is better. I feel that what many say about velocity vs expansion make 180gr prohibitive from a 3.5" barrel makes sense.

155 or 165gr and why please.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I don't know for sure, but, I figure shorter barrel you need a little help gaining velocity; therefore, lighter bullets. I carry 155 gr. bullets in my 40.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I shoot 155, 165 and 180g in my PT-140 and can detect little difference between any of them in felt recoil or getting back on target.

Assuming the same bullet placement, I doubt there will be any significant difference in the performance - certainly not anything that the target would be aware of if hit with a double-tap. :image035:

·
Registered
398 Posts
When I called Speer and spoke with the LE rep my understanding is that the composition or metallurgy of the bullet is more responsible for the expansion than velocity. The Speer short barrel ammo also uses a different powder that is faster burning. I always liked the 180gr in either Speer Gold Dot or Federal HST. Both have about the same penetration but the HST seems to expand larger.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
I use the 180 grain in mine and they do fine shot them in to armor and gelatin. They expand great. However out of your barrel I wuold try to build velocity too... the 155 grain would be my suggestion.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Speer claims the 180 GDSB has a greater cavity volume than other GB for expansion at short barrel velocities. I would go with whatever feeds reliable.

·
Registered
203 Posts
My question is this, is there a big difference between using the 155gr or the 165gr in a 3.5" barrel (M&P40C)? I mean a real life difference.

There is not going to be a big difference in 10gr, The BG surely won't care. Either one will put him on the medical examiners table providing good shot placement.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Speer claims the 180 GDSB has a greater cavity volume than other GB for expansion at short barrel velocities. I would go with whatever feeds reliable.
Ditto...I concentrate more on expansion characteristics first. Then make sure my choices feed reliably and go from there.

But i guess the best way to find out what you want is to aquire some of each and see how it shoots for yourself.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
They should expand in a near identical manner (same bullet design, caliber, manufacturer), and I would expect the heavier bullets to penetrate deeper (higher sectional density, more momentum). How well they shoot in your gun, by you, can only be determined by shooting them.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Sgt. Z., thanks for the link. That is some fantastic info to have. I am glad to see that my EDC SD ammo is on the list of recommended ammo. .40 Winchester Bonded 180gr JHP which is sold retail as the PDX1 for like $25/20 box. I bought a case (500 rds) at ammoman.com for $249 shipped. I'd buy a couple more if I had the cash to spare at the moment. They shoot fantastically in my Glock 27 and are super accurate and consistent.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts