Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw this about your driver's license having a gold star on it in accordance with a new federal requirement.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/federalRealIdAct.htm

Beginning October 1, 2020, only state-issued driver licenses and identification cards that are fully compliant with the REAL ID Act will be accepted for official federal government purposes, such as entering secure federal buildings or boarding domestic flights. Texas began issuing REAL ID compliant cards on October 10, 2016, and these cards are marked with a gold circle with an inset star located in the upper right-hand corner, as seen in the examples below.
I just checked mine and Mrs OldChap's and lo and behold, we both have gold stars. I wonder if we'll be able to thumb our noses at TSA in 2020? :danceban:

NOTE TO SELF: Neither one of us fly....but ohhhh the delicious thought!!!

·
Premium Member
2,278 Posts
I just saw this about your driver's license having a gold star on it in accordance with a new federal requirement.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/federalRealIdAct.htm

I just checked mine and Mrs OldChap's and lo and behold, we both have gold stars. I wonder if we'll be able to thumb our noses at TSA in 2020? :danceban:

NOTE TO SELF: Neither one of us fly....but ohhhh the delicious thought!!!
I do not believe the driver license alone will get you into the TSA PreCheck lane..... And...without the star, it will not be sufficient ID to fly, period. Absent that, you’d need your passport to fly.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Some idiot bureaucrats decided, with no sense of history at all, to use gold stars to designate differences on government forms. Brilliant! :icon_neutral:

·
Super Moderator
16,079 Posts
I’ve had mine here in North Carolina for about 2 years and as far as getting into federal installations my retired military ID works quite well. When it comes to flying, I don’t care if the commercial airlines go belly up, until the TSA stops the sexual assault (can’t go through their hallowed metal detectors) and the airlines install seats designed for adults rather than 10 year olds I will never fly again.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
I’ve had mine here in North Carolina for about 2 years and as far as getting into federal installations my retired military ID works quite well. When it comes to flying, I don’t care if the commercial airlines go belly up, until the TSA stops the sexual assault (can’t go through their hallowed metal detectors) and the airlines install seats designed for adults rather than 10 year olds I will never fly again.
Yeah, it used to be I preferred commercial to a C-130. Now I’d rather fly in the webbed seats!

·
Super Moderator
16,079 Posts
Some idiot bureaucrats decided, with no sense of history at all, to use gold stars to designate differences on government forms. Brilliant! :icon_neutral:
Welcome to kindergarten.

·
Banned
0 Posts
+1

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do not believe the driver license alone will get you into the TSA PreCheck lane..... And...without the star, it will not be sufficient ID to fly, period. Absent that, you’d need your passport to fly.
That is correct. If I flew any, I would spend the $100 for the Trusted Traveler ID, but I don't. And yes, you will need an approved federal identification after the effective date.

If only one needed some kind of real ID to vote. In most places one needn't even be alive to vote for candidates of a certain party.

·
Premium Member
2,278 Posts
that is correct. If i flew any, i would spend the $100 for the trusted traveler id, but i don't. And yes, you will need an approved federal identification after the effective date.

if only one needed some kind of real id to vote. In most places one needn't even be alive to vote for candidates of a certain party.

^^^ this ^^^

·
Premium Member
2,278 Posts
Reactions: Sister and OldChap

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Based on the OP's post about the gold star, I had to check my newly issued license that's tsa approved. Sure enough, gold star upper right hand corner of the new license.

Thanks for the heads up. I also at the time of renewing to the approved license, had them put organ donor and veteran on the license as well.

Just yesterday I received my new passport book and card as well. Ordered both, when traveling overland to Canada or Mexico you can use the card instead of bringing the passport book. The card now sits in my wallet. I plan on going to Mexico this Nov on the bike for the Rocky Point rally, and back through Canada next summer heading back to Ak. on the bike. The card will suffice with the real ID license :hand10:

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
My Nebraska DL has that star. I guess that means I'm a good boy. I don't fly much but I usually use my passport for ID when I do fly - domestic or international.

Reactions: OldChap

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have a Real ID PA license with s star. I use my passport card when I fly. I don’t like taking my drivers license out of my wallet unnecessarily. Too easy to lose when you’re distracted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
168 Posts
I find it odd that our ids are real ID compliant. Or, rather were. But, now we have to get new ones with an icon and have to bring all the supporting docs and pay more fees. I mean, if it’s an ID, why does the issuer not accept it?

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
The Real ID Act was passed by Bush, its just now approaching the date that we will be required to have this in order to be able to use a DL to fly though. Without it, people would need passports for CONUS flights. I love our government. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
33,858 Posts
Yeah, it used to be I preferred commercial to a C-130. Now I’d rather fly in the webbed seats!
I never felt the red webbed seats were that bad. It was the freezing temps on a KC-135 that got me.

And my FL DL has the gold star, not that it's going to get me to fly.

·
Premium Member
2,278 Posts
I have a Real ID PA license with s star. I use my passport card when I fly. I don’t like taking my drivers license out of my wallet unnecessarily. Too easy to lose when you’re distracted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Along those lines, funny airport travel story (now, but not at the time) ....

Wife and I were headed to the Security area to get to our gate. I had my driver license and ticket in one hand, phone and bag in the other. We were running late and walking fast and I was swapping stuff between hands. Got in line and as we were moving through the line I could not find my license. I thought I must have dropped it so I backtracked our path with no luck.
I notified TSA and the lost and found. They eventually let me through because of my concealed carry permits, but it was touch and go. I kept checking with the airport during our trip but no one turned in the license. Big lesson learned!

When I got home I got a duplicate license and just prayed no one was using the lost license for nefarious purposes.

Six months later, as my wife was cleaning out her purse, she found my license. We had been walking close together, and the license must have slipped from my hand and fallen into her purse. We had it the entire time. I no longer carry stuff in my hands at the airport. Pockets only!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts