Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I felt a little like Goldylocks this morning.

I have been round and round adjusting my carry guns lately. Some have been upgrades and some have been due to one thing or another causing a certain pistol to not work as well for me as I would like. Having very large hands is a bit of a handicap when shopping for carry guns and loves. I have come to realize what works best for me is fullsize pistols and revolvers. Some variation is workable.

To wit;

Having owned several Charter Arms Bulldogs thru the years I have always liked them. I recently sold my Shield plus to a co-worker and saw this Boomer for sale and thought to myself " Bob, that would be the perfect get off me gun". So I bought it.

Finger Font Art Pattern Electric blue

I loaded up some 200 grain hardcast double ended wadcutters (DEWCs). My reloads will be 185 grain LSWCHP's. It of course uses the same speedloader as my 69 S&W. I have not shot this lil piggy yet, maybe tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
38,999 Posts
Needing an ample grip due to your hand size gives you an added consideration that most of us don't have when it comes to concealed carry. The longer/wider the grip, the more challenging the conceal.

Personally, my best solution to date has been with a single-stack, Glock-19 length grip.

Reactions: OD* and Bad Bob

·
Registered
15,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Needing an ample grip due to your hand size gives you an added consideration that most of us don't have when it comes to concealed carry. The longer/wider the grip, the more challenging the conceal.

Personally, my best solution to date has been with a single-stack, Glock-19 length grip.
Also being a big guy helps me conceal. I am 6' and 255. Only need to lose 15 more lbs to get where I was when I was running 8 miles a day. My knees will not let me run that much anymore.

I primarily carry a LW Commander 1911.

·
Premium Member
38,999 Posts
Also being a big guy helps me conceal. I am 6' and 255. Only need to lose 15 more lbs to get where I was when I was running 8 miles a day. My knees will not let me run that much anymore.

Heck, you are already there!

I'm 5"10. When I was 33 (32 years ago), I ran two full marathons one month apart at 194 pounds. My knees are still OK, but the hips won't take the hammering of a running game for very long. I still walk and ride bicycle daily without much issue.

·
Premium Member
5,721 Posts
That should do the job, Bad Bob. Looks like a good fit for a big guy with big hands. Congrats on the weight loss; it's almost like losing years in age!

Reactions: OD* and Bad Bob

·
Registered
15,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heck, you are already there!

I'm 5"10. When I was 33 (32 years ago), I ran two full marathons one month apart at 194 pounds. My knees are still OK, but the hips won't take the hammering of a running game for very long. I still walk and ride bicycle daily without much issue.
I was 43 running 8 miles a day. What stopped me was blowing out the plantar Facia on my right foot. Old knee injuries just caught up.

These days it is the bowflex and treadclimber.

·
Registered
15,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That should do the job, Bad Bob. Looks like a good fit for a big guy with big hands. Congrats on the weight loss; it's almost like losing years in age!
Thanks, had a wake up call in March @ 310.........

·
Registered
44,688 Posts

Running to keep some level of fitness is what trashed both my knees. Don't over do it.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
45 Colt is one of my favorite calibers! And the only reason I don't have a Boomer is it is not on CA's list.
I have rifles, carbines, and single actions pistols in 45 colt but no DA pistols.
Bob at least with big hands the full size guns fit you well. I was blessed with short stubby fingers and thick meaty palms. It makes getting your fingers around anything difficult, But once I get ahold of something it isn't getting away.!
With a double stack gun I have trouble getting my trigger finger out to the trigger! At least with a 1911 I can swap in a shorter trigger. Even with K frame guns I have to switch to thinner grips that have an open backstrap to get that trigger reach right.
Good Luck with the new one! DR

·
Premium Member
6,568 Posts
45 Colt is one of my favorite calibers! And the only reason I don't have a Boomer is it is not on CA's list.
I have rifles, carbines, and single actions pistols in 45 colt but no DA pistols.
Bob at least with big hands the full size guns fit you well. I was blessed with short stubby fingers and thick meaty palms. It makes getting your fingers around anything difficult, But once I get ahold of something it isn't getting away.!
With a double stack gun I have trouble getting my trigger finger out to the trigger! At least with a 1911 I can swap in a shorter trigger. Even with K frame guns I have to switch to thinner grips that have an open backstrap to get that trigger reach right.
Good Luck with the new one! DR
Points all well taken, @dangerranger , but I'm pretty sure @Bad Bob 's Boomer is a .44 Special.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
22,080 Posts
I have large hands, bad knees, and bad hips. A five-inch government model 1911 fits my hand perfectly. An "N" or "X" frame size revolver fits my hand great. The only handgun that felt slightly too large for my hand was my six-inch Desert Eagle 50AE.

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Running to keep some level of fitness is what trashed both my knees. Don't over do it.
I would think finding a track or dirt roads would help as well. I would think running on pavement could damage knees and other body parts quicker.

·
Registered
15,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would think finding a track or dirt roads would help as well. I would think running on pavement could damage knees and other body parts quicker.
I had enough of dirt running in the Border Patrol.... At 60 it is all about low impact cardio. The darn treadclimber can be set to make you go up and down hills.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Looking forward to a range report. I considered a Boomer but the lack of sights and porting turned me off. Later I handled a buddy's Bulldog and lost all interest due to build quality and size in comparison to my 44s.

·
Registered
15,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looking forward to a range report. I considered a Boomer but the lack of sights and porting turned me off. Later I handled a buddy's Bulldog and lost all interest due to build quality and size in comparison to my 44s.
I could do without the porting myself. This is the nicest Charter I have ever seen. The trigger is smooth vs the cheese grater grooves they usually put on and the trigger is a smooth 8-10 #.

My plan is close range point shooting. The grips while cheap are very nice for pointing.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I could do without the porting myself. This is the nicest Charter I have ever seen. The trigger is smooth vs the cheese grater grooves they usually put on and the trigger is a smooth 8-10 #.

My plan is close range point shooting. The grips while cheap are very nice for pointing.
Curious to see if you have issues with the ports shaving lead and if so how much plus what does it take to clean the lead deposits.

Congrats on the new roscoe!

Oh and fun fact in case you're not aware, the name boomer is partly from the blast but more so Boomer, somebody from Charter Arm's dog as seen in this photo being a very bad boy.
Couch Furniture Dog Comfort Carnivore

1 - 20 of 29 Posts