Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had alot of guys here that have been using revolvers as their carry guns and BUGS.
I have made the decision to only carry my revolvers for reasons I will state.
I carry my 357 as my primary and my 38 as my BUG.
Alot of my decision was based on ammo and training.
While I reload 38's and 357's I can use the same bullets,powder and primers for each.
I have a stockpile of brass for both calibers.
And for training both have the same type of trigger pull with no safeties.Both use the same size holster.
Now when I practice I know just what guns I am going to bring because they are my carry guns.
Both of them are J Frame Smiths. My primary is a 640-1 in 357 and my BUG is a 36 in 38 special.
So have any of you guys gone off the deep end and only carry your revolvers?
So far this has worked out great for me.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Arctophobia!!! Thats why I carry a revolver. No punny 9
for me I need my 357.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I would consider doing so only if there weren't an ammo shortage. I have a modest stock of 9mm and .40 S&W. I have been wanting to buy a revolver, but I don't want to have to stock up on another caliber as difficult as it is now to find ammo.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have made the decision to only carry my revolvers for reasons I will state...
Autos are crap.

Let me take those vile critters off your hands. :)
saa.

Reactions: bigwill72

·
Registered
655 Posts
Arctophobia!!! Thats why I carry a revolver. No punny 9
for me I need my 357.
That's funny considering that the two calibers are almost the same size, and if you're shooting a snubby then you lose much of the velocity difference between a 9mm and .357 magnum, and have more muzzle blast and flash and slower follow up shots and reloading. Don't get me wrong, the .357 mag is definitely the better cartridge. But in a snubby the negatives of muzzle flash, slow follow up shots, and less shots before reload are a big price to pay for a few more fps in similar sized projectiles. I personally like revolvers, but I will never carry a snub nosed revolver again for those reasons. I personally wouldn't get a .357 mag in less than a 3" barrel.

·
Registered
88 Posts
To the OP. I hope you don't mind me asking but I'm curious as to your age. I think that age is a relevant factor in a person's choice to rely on a revolver for carry.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
I carry a revolver often. More often than my Colt 1911. Im 30 btw.

Reactions: Taurahe

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
To the OP. I hope you don't mind me asking but I'm curious as to your age. I think that age is a relevant factor in a person's choice to rely on a revolver for carry.
I disagree. I am 30, and I have not touched my SR40C since i got my LCR. I am dying to get my hands on an SP101 3" so I can slap some night sights on it, have the trigger honed and eventually send it to gemini to have it ported and made even more awesome. My favorite 22 pistol will always be a ruger single six SA revolver. yes my MK3 is awesome, but cocking the single six each time is just to much fun. While age may have a bearing for some, I think a lot of people just appreciate the smooth lines, nice balance, perfect fit, and grace of a well built revolver.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am in my early 50's. And I agree that age has alot to do with it. We get alot smarter as the years go by.

·
Registered
37,051 Posts
Nothing wrong in that decision. Both calibers have a history of ample SD capability.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
I disagree. I am 30, and I have not touched my SR40C since i got my LCR. I am dying to get my hands on an SP101 3" so I can slap some night sights on it, have the trigger honed and eventually send it to gemini to have it ported and made even more awesome. My favorite 22 pistol will always be a ruger single six SA revolver. yes my MK3 is awesome, but cocking the single six each time is just to much fun. While age may have a bearing for some, I think a lot of people just appreciate the smooth lines, nice balance, perfect fit, and grace of a well built revolver.
We are shopping for the same thing. A gemini custom Sp101!

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
We are shopping for the same thing. A gemini custom Sp101!
LOL..... it is unfortunately very far off for me, but one day I will have one. I have even contemplated seeing if they would do some work to my LCR lol, but im not sure how you port and 1 7/8 barrel lol. One day though...one day my gemini SP101 will come home

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
I have a revolver also, but a .44 Mag. Blackhawk does not conceal well. ;)
wear longer shirts :)..... and a reallllyyyyyy stiff belt lol.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I like both and own both I keep a G17 with glock lite on my nightstand but cc snubs every day. When at the range (once a week) I only reload from tuff strips. Gemini did my S&W Mod 60 an Teddy Jacobson did my SP. Marc at Gemini said he will finish my 642 tomorrow. I shoot really well with snubs cant beat em for comfort.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Why is that? I am a strong 60; have been actively carrying and shooting both semi-autos and revolvers for 40 years and have my own set of pros and cons of each one.

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
I made the move to only carrying revolvers in the last two years. Occasionally my LCP gets the carry nod but only when dress dictates that small pistol.

Revolvers are very reliable, easier to pickup brass, accurate once you get a snubbie down and I feel fine with only 5 shots.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I carry Two 357 Snubs all day every day. As for muzzle flash and recoil, you have to use the correct Ammo. You just don't use any 357 Ammo. I have practiced with a lot off different makes. Some 125g. JHP Ammo is absulutly brutal in my LCR and other Popular Self Defence 125g. Ammo is made with low flash powder, has controllable recoil, and follow up shots are easy. These rounds also are rated as top stoppers. If you train with what you carry should be able to handle it, or maybe I should say you should carry what you can handle. Back in the day when Parma, Ohio Police first stopped carrying Revolvers, I new a Officer that carried a 41 Mag cross draw as back up. He was amazing with that Gun.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I have both and carry a revolver fairly often. To date, my favorite revolver is my LCR. I still carry a semi more often than not, but I really like revolvers.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts