Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Banned
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In both 2in. & 4in. barrel .357 revolvers, I have found that the 125gr. JSP is my most accurate round. This JSP is considered a hunting round and I wouldn't load it for SD in my longer barrel carry gun because it most likely would over penetrate. However, I believe it would be an excellent SD round from a snubby, because, it will have much less velocity as not to over penetrate, but will penetrate deep. It will also mushroom on impact because it's a soft point, creating a bigger hole and nasty wound channel. Agree or disagree?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Jacketed soft points that are designed for hunting will usually act like a FMJ at lower velocities. I never got one to expand in water and if it doesn't expand in water, it won't expand in anything. You might get some deformation hitting heavy bone but there are much better choices for SD.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Agree with KPW, stick with some form of quality hollow point. I happen to like Speer Gold Dot 135 grain +p for .38, and 125 or 135 grain in .357

·
Registered
809 Posts
The Federal 125 grain SJHP did about 1425 fps from my 4" 681-3 and about 1295 fps from my 2 1/4" SP101. I would imagine that the 125 grain JSP is loaded to about the same velocities. You really don't loose that much velocity in a snubbie. If anything though, I would expect a JSP at about 1300 fps to penetrate slightly more than one at 1425 fps since there is more chance of the faster bullet expanding.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
If there is any correlation between expansion and penetration in water or tissue, it was more than twice the penetration and the soft nose of the JSP just smeared a little from a 3" Md. 66. Very un-scientific, I know.

·
Registered
859 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
158 grain LSWCHP in 38 will do just fine thanks....expands to about .55 in water test...yeah, it'll get 'er done.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
158 grain LSWCHP in 38 will do just fine thanks....expands to about .55 in water test...yeah, it'll get 'er done.
I agree. It is hard to beat 158g lead in a 38 spl. Makes folks leak really bad. High tech is fine, but what works, works.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
I use +P Short Barrel Gold Dots myself! :wink:

·
Registered
574 Posts
Heavy .38 Special +P Ammo - 158 gr. L.S.W.C.H.P. --G.C. (1,000fps/M.E. 351 ft.lbs.) - 20 Round Box

The new Buffalo Bore Heavy 38 SPL+p ammo will maximize the effectiveness of your 38 SPL revolver. The powders are flash suppressed so as to not hinder your vision should you be required to drop the hammer in low light.

·
Registered
342 Posts
+1 on GD, it never fails!

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
In both 2in. & 4in. barrel .357 revolvers, I have found that the 125gr. JSP is my most accurate round. This JSP is considered a hunting round and I wouldn't load it for SD in my longer barrel carry gun because it most likely would over penetrate. However, I believe it would be an excellent SD round from a snubby, because, it will have much less velocity as not to over penetrate, but will penetrate deep. It will also mushroom on impact because it's a soft point, creating a bigger hole and nasty wound channel. Agree or disagree?
Disagree, in most instances a JSP will perform like FMJ when fired from short barrels.

·
Banned
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jacketed soft points that are designed for hunting will usually act like a FMJ at lower velocities. I never got one to expand in water and if it doesn't expand in water, it won't expand in anything. You might get some deformation hitting heavy bone but there are much better choices for SD.
To me, shot placement is top priority. Aside from shot placement, what is most important to you in any self defense situation where your life depends on it, penetration or expansion? You can't have both, just one or the other.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
To me, shot placement is top priority. Aside from shot placement, what is most important to you in any self defense situation where your life depends on it, penetration or expansion? You can't have both, just one or the other.
Shot placement should be top priority for everyone. Wonder bullets only exist in the movies so if your comfortable and confidant carrying with a JSP, go for it. As long as you know the issues involved with carrying a round that would be a lot more prone to over-penetration and may be a bit less effective with a non-CNS hit. There are plenty of good reasons for carrying a deeper penetrating round and if those reasons are on your list, it may be the best choice for you.
To answer your question, penetration first and always first. The good thing is, these days you can have both within reason.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts

You can have both with the proper pick of a premium self defense HP.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Bart:

You are correct, shot placement is the most important factor in a gunfight. However, accuracy on paper at a shooting range is one thing, accuracy on the move while being shot at or slashed at with a knife is something else. Ideally, you would use an accurately placed shot into the cranio-ocular cavity to shut down the assailant's central nervous system (CNS). However, with the adrenaline dump from the fight-or-flight response, fine motor control is degraded, and shooting for a larger target such as center-of-mass (COM)becomes the accepted target. In that instance, an expanding JHP bullet will give a larger hole, allowing for faster exsanguination of your assailant, which will result in a faster stop. You could also be fortunate enough to sever the spinal cord.

Don't try to reinvent the wheel. There have been tons of studies done on wound ballistics, and the currently accepted consensus of the majority is to use an expanding JHP bullet. The majority of premium JHP defense rounds on the market have adequate penetration, with the possible exception of .380 ACP and perhaps smaller calibers. I carry my Kel-Tec P3AT loaded with the WWB FP-FMJ load, Q4206, for deeper penetration than a JHP. (See this link for the discussion on .380 ACP: .380 load (Calling Erich) )

My current snubby (S&W 442-2) load is the 135 gr. Speer .38 Spl. +P JHP SB (Short Barrel). I might also carry the DPX load if I couldn't get the Speer SB load. While the FBI/Chicago load (LSWCHP) is a proven round, it does plug sometimes and fail to expand. My understanding is that the Speer SB and DPX rounds do not plug as much, and expand a larger percentage of the time.

My suggestion is to try several of the premium JHP defense rounds in your revolver, and choose the one of those that shoots the most accurately from it. Good luck to you, and may you never have to use your guns in self-defense!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts