Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a hankering that I just can’t seem to shake. Seems like I have the urge to get a nice revolver.
I don’t know a bunch about them. Brother had a 642 and a LCR 38 and they were fun but I don’t see myself carrying one full time so foot print isn’t a big deal. A nice mid size revolver seems to have my interest. OWB carry around the home stead and Sunday drives on the ranger.

357 or 44mag
Thinking on a pistol caliber carbine as well. Something for the coyotes that come around in the winter time.

I guess what I’m asking if you could have one (to start with any way) revolver and carbine combo, what would it be and why?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
I do not carry revolvers outside the woods. I like revolvers for power. Currently have a 1965 Model 28 6" .357 and a Blackhawk 45 Colt 75" that is great with the Ruger Only loads for hogs. If you are not going to carry it anyway, single actions are a lot of fun.

edit to add: I want some more too. I would like a shorter barrel SA, Colt King Cobra, and maybe play with reloading .41 Magnum also.
revolvers.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
If I were to have a rifle/pistol combo, for me it would be a Ruger Blackhawk and Marlin lever action. .357, .44 mag, or .45 Colt. If I needed a double action revolver instead of the single action Blackhawk, I would maybe look for a Ruger Security Six or S&W M19 in 4" barrel.

·
Registered
Various
15,546 Posts
I have single-action center-fire revolvers in .44-40, .45 Colt, and .44 magnum. I have double-action center-fire revolvers in .38 special, .357 magnum, 10mm, .44 magnum, and .454 Casull. Barrels vary from 2" to 8". I like the .45 Colt in a single-action and the .44 magnum in a double-action with six inch barrels. They are all great and you can't go wrong with any of them.

I have Winchester '94 rifles in .45 Colt and .44 magnum. I have been drooling on a couple of lever-actions in .44-40 at the LGS.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I have had a hankering that I just can’t seem to shake. Seems like I have the urge to get a nice revolver.
I don’t know a bunch about them. Brother had a 642 and a LCR 38 and they were fun but I don’t see myself carrying one full time so foot print isn’t a big deal. A nice mid size revolver seems to have my interest. OWB carry around the home stead and Sunday drives on the ranger.

357 or 44mag
Thinking on a pistol caliber carbine as well. Something for the coyotes that come around in the winter time.

I guess what I’m asking if you could have one (to start with any way) revolver and carbine combo, what would it be and why?

Thanks.
The best beginner revolver is a mid size.

I recommend a S&W 686 or 686+ which has great triggers.

Ruger GP100 357 Magnum.

Taurus 357 Magnum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
The K frame S&W recommendation is a good one.
I have a Model 65 that I carry ... not often, not even frequently, but from time to time I slip the holster on and wear that one. I like it .... and I'm an excellent shot with it as well.

·
Registered
9,558 Posts
I would get a 686 pre lock .Classic good s&w wheel gun. And get a henry or like lever action ..That would be my go to ..Or sub a Ruger wheel gun (you call LCR 3 or speed six/sercity six whatever )

Reactions: Old Man

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
Ruger Six Series or GP-100 and S&W K-frames are excellent choices like the others said. If you don't have a tight budget you absolutely can't go wrong with a vintage Dan Wesson or Colt! Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
18,262 Posts
Oh well ... I'll provide some illustrative photos.

Same ol' guns as always.

Favorite of all time and was my first revolver at 18 years old, the Smith & Wesson Model 10 Heavy Barrel .38 Special

.22 Long Rifle K-Frame goodness, this K-22 Masterpiece 4-inch which later became the Smith & Wesson Model 18.

For something with more punch, the .357 Magnum is the right prescription for general purpose handgunning chores. The N-Frame Model 27 (or the Model 28 mentioned above) is my very favorite.

Here's a dirty nickel K-Frame 4-inch Model 19 .357 Magnum, my second favorite way to do .357 Magnum.

.357 Magnums, nice in all sorts of K, L, and N frame Smith & Wessons, classic Colts too. Top to bottom: Smith & Wesson Models: 27 6-inch, 586 4-inch, 19 4-inch, 66 2 1/2-inch, 13 3-inch and two Colts: a 3 5 7 6-inch and a Python 6-inch.

Not to leave Colt out. This Officers Model Match is one gratifying revolver to shoot. This was just a spontaneous effort at 25 yards with my "standard" .38 Special hand load using mixed brass. The revolver is way more capable than is my ability to shoot it well, but it makes for a grand time at the range any time it comes out to play.

Personal opinion ahead.

Stay completely away from any Smith & Wesson J-Frame snub or any other brand's similar revolver. Disregard any "lightweight," "airweight" or similar feature. Don't saddle yourself with a stunted, cramped, flea-weight revolver as a first revolver. Go with a good revolver weighing 30 oz or more. Despite what so many current generation of shooters think, a 30 to 35 ounce revolver is a medium weight handgun. Ergonomics and handling will be so much superior. The weight mitigates even the recoil of the .357 Magnum, making true enjoyment of the revolver more complete. Small snubs are specialty handguns, so convenient to hide, so light to carry. They're not so hot to master and shoot accurately, especially at any distance. It can be done, but it's a chore.

A personal favorite J-Frame snub, the Smith & Wesson Model 649 .38 Special.

·
Registered
7,867 Posts
I think it’s hard to beat a 686 or GP100.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I currently have Blackhawks in 357/9mm and 45 Colt/45acp, and a 6" S&W 27-2 357 that is a dream to shoot.
Lever action rifles chambered in pistol cartridges, I prefer 16" barrels. You get a good boost in velocity over a 4-6" revolver in an easy handling package. Winchester, Marlin, Henry, and Rossi all make good lever guns. My opinion Henry has a better fit and finish with Rossi more on the budget end. I have had all 4 at one time and all have served me well.

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
I like 45 colt! But the reason could apply to almost all calibers. with a semi auto My ammo has to be between a low and high velocity to keep the slide working all the way back[low end] and not batter the frame and slide at the high end. With a revolver I only have to keep the speed up enough that the bullet makes it all the way down the bore. and limit pressure to what the gun can handle. That leaves a lot of room between plinking ammo and high end stuff. the revolver is also not picky about what it can cycle. If it fits in the cylinder it ships! Flat point, SWC, round nose, HP, wad cutter, etc. The revolver doesn't care! Even snake shot! DR

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
A good 357 combo would be a 4 inch S&W 686 (pre-lock) and a Henry Big Boy series rifle. In 44 a good S&W or Ruger revolver and the same henry in 44 Magnum. I have a 44 Magnum Ruger Vaquero I have been planning on teaming it up with a Henry Big Boy in 44 Magnum but funds have been taken by more important projects (new roof).

1 - 20 of 40 Posts