Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good friend of mine (we are both 24, and we both live at our parent's houses for the time being) had an incident the other night. We live in a "nice" neighborhood/area that doesnt really have much crime. He told me that at around midnight, while the family was sleeping, they heard pounding at their front door. They walk up to the fawyer, and hear the voices of what sounded like 4-5 males. Then listened another few seconds, and heard patio furniture moving around, stuff being thrown around, and more yelling.

They called the police, and armed themselves (my friend recently also got into shooting, and has gotten quite a few nice weapons such as a Glock 19, Mossberg 500, M&P 15 AR), and waited for the people to either break in or leave. They finally left without trying to break in, and the police showed up a few minutes after.

Turns out that the group of people were just some kids being a nuisance in the neighborhood. Dont know their exact age or names, but the officer told them that they were all under 18 and just out causing trouble, but didnt have any sort of criminal intent, and he was just lucky that those kids didnt accidentally get blasted by a 12ga due to just acting like an idiot.

Goes to show, when you hear someone at the door, you never know whats on the other side. Could be a pack of girl scouts, a bunch of idiot kids, or an axe murderer.

I guess there was no point to this story, but definitely interesting to see how dumb people can be. If they would have busted down the door, or came in through a window and got blasted by an AR15, Im sure it would have been in the newspapers and on TV as some crazy gun owners gunning down innocent kids with an AR-15.

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
Your neighbor did the right thing in determining what the others were going to do, before he overreacted.
Calling the cops, staying inside and waiting for the other party to make the next aggressive move was wise.

The punks may not be so lucky next night.
Sad they can't wise up soon.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
They're pounding on his front door, yelling & tossing stuff around on his patio at midnight? How's the homeowner supposed to guess that they didn't have any "criminal intent"? Sounds like the ideal job for SGS ("Super German Shepherd"). Or maybe a good wetting-down with a garden hose? IMHO, unconfronted, unaccountable punks sometimes become... emboldened felons. It may be easier to change their minds while they're still teenagers. :scratchchin:

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Toss a cherry bomb out the door or through a window.

Of course you would likely have a mess or two to clean up in the morning.

Just kidding. Your neighbor did the right thing. I probably would have turned on an outside light to illuminate the scene and temporarily cause some night blindness if, in fact, there was a legitimate threat that needed a response.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
You friend and his family did the proper thing...armed, called police, and waited.

Reactions: Aceoky

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Toss a cherry bomb out the door or through a window.

Of course you would likely have a mess or two to clean up in the morning.

Just kidding. Your neighbor did the right thing. I probably would have turned on an outside light to illuminate the scene and temporarily cause some night blindness if, in fact, there was a legitimate threat that needed a response.
My two pits would have been let out for a midnight snack!

This happened to me about 20yrs ago. Four thugs in my yard around midnight and when I confronted them they threatened me and told me to stay inside. It was about 60sec after that that my dog had a mouthful of one of their butts. When the deputy arrived he laughed out loud when I told him and gave my dog a good pat on the head and a "That's good boy!" :smile:

-

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
I hope the "kids" learn a lesson from this. They should have been charged with trespassing at the very least. A court appearance and some community service time might help get the point across. If nothing was done it will happen again most likely. Next time could be a deadly encounter for them.

·
Premium Member
10,172 Posts
I guess the Tampa Police Department doesn't consider disturbing the peace, trespassing and vandalism to be bad enough criminal behavior in the youths of their city to warrant making an arrest.

The youth of this country really needs to be taught right from wrong and how to behave properly.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
I guess those kids were lucky your neighbor didn't take the advice of Joe Biden.
Based on some recent news stories, I'd say the neighbor was lucky he didn't take the advice of Joe Biden.

Reactions: Chuck808

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
My two pits would have been let out for a midnight snack!

This happened to me about 20yrs ago. Four thugs in my yard around midnight and when I confronted them they threatened me and told me to stay inside. It was about 60sec after that that my dog had a mouthful of one of their butts. When the deputy arrived he laughed out loud when I told him and gave my dog a good pat on the head and a "That's good boy!" :smile:

-
:rofl: I too had (one died months ago) two male pit bulls from the same litter. Respectively around 80 lbs and 100 lbs. If their spidey senses tingled, I'd turn on all the outdoor lights and let them out and wait to hear the screams. :wink:

I hope the "kids" learn a lesson from this. They should have been charged with trespassing at the very least. A court appearance and some community service time might help get the point across. If nothing was done it will happen again most likely. Next time could be a deadly encounter for them.
I agree 100% - The fact these kids weren't issued a citation for disorderly conduct, breech of peace, etc. is just beyond me. A court appearance and also having to either pay a fine (ideally, if not out of their summer job income, parents pay and they have to bust their ass to the point of damn near child labor violations around the house) and/or community service would show them their actions have consequences and they will be held accountable for them.

I also think it should be pointed out to them that their little games could of got them killed, just in case being held accountable by way of fine/community service doesn't quite do the trick.

Reactions: BlueHawk76

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
In Texas Mischief during the night can get your ass shot,I guess thats why we don't seem to have too much of it

Reactions: bigdogtx and Snub44

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
Are punji pits illegal? They might serve as an excellent educational tool for such misguided youths.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They finally tracked the kids down with a helicopter and took them in. Im not sure if any action was taken against them by ther police, but I dont believe so.

The cop, and everyone else involved were just glad that the night didnt end with 5 dead teenagers.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Your buddy did the right thing by staying inside and calling the police. The punks are lucky he did this as well.

The officer said there was no criminal intent. I thought going on peoples property and throwing things around and vandalizing was against the law.With no charges filed they will be up to it again in no time.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
They finally tracked the kids down with a helicopter and took them in. Im not sure if any action was taken against them by ther police, but I dont believe so.

The cop, and everyone else involved were just glad that the night didnt end with 5 dead teenagers.

Hopefully, the parents of the kids properly straightened-out the kids lack of respect for other's property.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
They finally tracked the kids down with a helicopter and took them in...
The city should hold the kids AND THEIR PARENTS financially responsible for the helo-time. And the kids should be ineligible for their Driver's Licenses until the bill is PAID IN FULL.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts