Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another thread where the mention of never carrying anything in the strong side/gun hand brought this to mind.
Over the years, I have developed the routine of placing my carry guns and flashlights in a pre positioned placement on a little wooden table next to my bed in a way, that in total darkness, I can see the glow of the front sight, and place the flashlight in a manner that I know exactly where it will be.

Since I set up my guns with Dawson Precision front sights, and leave the back sights stock, I know that the glow I see will be the front sight only, and that the light will be positioned under it next to the slide.

Also, the guns are angled in a way to get a proper firing grip with my weak hand.
I do this intentionally, because I choose to occupy the side closest to any potential intrusion and don't have to worry about flagging my wife with the muzzle.

I use the same set up in Motel rooms or wherever we stay, always closest to the nearest point of entry for that particular room.

Pictured here are my two main carry guns. It is usually the G26 with the smaller light, but last night, I was on the job, and carried the EDC light, the smaller Fenix, with me, leaving the g26 for the wife, thus, the larger light.
IMG_2596.jpg

I think it would be interesting to hear how others set up for the bump in the night, or any routines you have developed during your carry path.
And as always, comments are always welcome.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
I think it would be interesting to hear how others set up for the bump in the night, or any routines you have developed during your carry path.
And as always, comments are always welcome.
I'm using Dawson sights too, plain black rear sight and fiber optic front. I park a Glock 19 and a XDM on the nightstand to my left along with my Surefire light. Since I spend a lot of my sleeping time on my left side the guns are a natural reach for my right hand. Bumps in the night are pretty rare out here in Mayberry West but I try to stay prepared for the worst.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I have a G21 with a TLR-1HL on a floating shelf next to my bed. Meprolight night sights and have a green front with yellow rear to aid in finding the front. The green is slightly brighter as well. I make sure the pistol is oriented for me to grab it from my right hand and when I'm not home or get home from work I notice that my wife flips it to a left handed orientation. There is always a spare magazine next to it as well.

Then I have a Mossberg 500 mounted in the closet if time permits.
20160606_162012.jpg
20160917_100014.jpg
I try and do a lot of small things to plan ahead. Things like carry my child on my off side so I have have the ability to draw without switching him(arm strength permitting...), carrying my light in my left pocket and while driving I do my very best not to stop to close to the car in front as to give myself the ability to not be trapped if I need to drive up a curb or off the road. It's a lot of little things IMO thay can make a huge difference in a very unlikely situation.

My wife is a stay at home mom so if something happens the likelihood of me being there is not good. I have placed multiple firearms around the house as to give her the best chance of getting to one without going towards the intruder/s. One in the living room (J-frame), one in the kitchen(XD9sc 16+1) and one in the spare bedroom.(fns9 compact with the 17+1 magazine installed.) My main concern now is as my child gets older I'm going to have to invest heavily in quick access safes to keep him safe. So that's the next thing me and the wife will figure out.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
I am a heavy sleeper, So to make sure I am fully awake I keep my bump in the night gun at least three steps away in the master closet. When you open the closet the first thing to the right is a bathrobe, then shotgun, pistol and holster, spare mag, flashlight, and slippers! I always keep them in the same order and same place. DR

·
Super Moderator
24,665 Posts
I position my 1911 to pick up at first provocation. I have my cell phone to the side, so if our land-line phone is dead I can still call out. I have my OLight on the dresser, along with a spare mag.

Three dogs sleep lightly, as do I, and our bedroom is flooded with very soft, dim light from a motion detector hall light.

·
Registered
289 Posts
My mutt and I are very light sleepers. He sleeps at my feet and will let me know long before anyone can get inside..His name is Echo.. For a good reason.. But if they do get in, my EDC and Tac/strobe light are on my night stand.

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
Whatever is my EDC sits on my nightstand next to my bed along with my trusty Pelican M-6 light. When I travel I put my EDC and light inside my boot right next to bed. (That is an old habit I had when deployed and TDY to various third world garden spots across the world:rolleyes:.)

·
Registered
270 Posts
I keep my Glock 23 holstered with one in the pipe about 4 feet away from my bed on a nightstand. I sleep very heavily so for me to actually reach my gun I have to be hanging off the bed or out of the bed...I keep a flashlight next to my slide same as you do and also have a spare 15 round magazine there. On the other side of the wall that my nightstand is against is my closet where my AR-15 sits loaded and ready to do business if SHTF...

Just out of curiosity for you with the Glocks and NOT in a holster...do you have one in the pipe? Might seem like a silly question but I'm very curious. I have a cat that is ridiculously strong that likes to lay on/near my Glock so I keep the trigger covered because I know he is strong enough to pull the trigger if he were to start playing with my gun.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I keep my Glock 23 holstered with one in the pipe about 4 feet away from my bed on a nightstand. I sleep very heavily so for me to actually reach my gun I have to be hanging off the bed or out of the bed...I keep a flashlight next to my slide same as you do and also have a spare 15 round magazine there. On the other side of the wall that my nightstand is against is my closet where my AR-15 sits loaded and ready to do business if SHTF...

Just out of curiosity for you with the Glocks and NOT in a holster...do you have one in the pipe? Might seem like a silly question but I'm very curious. I have a cat that is ridiculously strong that likes to lay on/near my Glock so I keep the trigger covered because I know he is strong enough to pull the trigger if he were to start playing with my gun.
Yes they are ready to rock at all times. It comes out of the holster at the end of the day(or night), and on the table.

Reactions: BackcountryGuy

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Both Mrs Thin and I keep pistols bedside, in cheap holsters that hang from the box spring. We make sure to keep them oriented so when we roll over toward them, the free hand can get a clean grip. I also keep a Streamlight and my cell phone in exactly the same place on my nightstand.

I'm a big fan of keeping things where they belong so to speak. Picked that up as a mechanic, where having tools in the same place saves me an incredible amount of time. I hate rummaging around, looking for things. Having to do that in the middle of the night could cost us our lives.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts

Very good question and one I have thought of as well because Smokey, (my cat and best pal), has been known to hop on and off my nightstand. I keep the Glock in its Kydex holster for that very reason but my XD with the grip safety is not something Smokey is going to be able to set off so it stays out of the holster, ready to rock, and in first gun position for picking up should the goblins come prowling.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I don't sleep 1 or 2 hrs at a time. My edc in second draw of my dresser along with my k-bar. Flashlights, self opening knife, baton on top of my dresser along with my cell phone. At the foot of the bad (usually under the covers) sleeps my 140lb BullMastiff, Max. On the floor on the left side of the bed sleeps my 105lb BullMastiff, Kimmy. On the floor on the right side of the bed sleeps my 100lb German Sheppard, Duchess. My wife sleeps wereever she can. In the adjacent room sleeps my son with his EDC, his AR, and his sub 2000 along with his 60 lb Pitbull, Diesel. As they are his I do not know the exact placement of his weapons. We are very well protected and prepared. Furthermore I dare some scumbag to break into our house in the middle of the night. If I ever do have to call the police I will certainly request that they bring extra sponges and additional people on the cleanup crew.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
I don't sleep 1 or 2 hrs at a time. My edc in second draw of my dresser along with my k-bar. Flashlights, self opening knife, baton on top of my dresser along with my cell phone. At the foot of the bad (usually under the covers) sleeps my 140lb BullMastiff, Max. On the floor on the left side of the bed sleeps my 105lb BullMastiff, Kimmy. On the floor on the right side of the bed sleeps my 100lb German Sheppard, Duchess. My wife sleeps wereever she can. In the adjacent room sleeps my son with his EDC, his AR, and his sub 2000 along with his 60 lb Pitbull, Diesel. As they are his I do not know the exact placement of his weapons. We are very well protected and prepared. Furthermore I dare some scumbag to break into our house in the middle of the night. If I ever do have to call the police I will certainly request that they bring extra sponges and additional people on the cleanup crew.
I'm going to skip your house for trick-or-treats.

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
AR muzzle down propped against the wall and night stand. Flashlight on the nightstand and weapon light mounted on the AR.

Reactions: OD* and G-man*

·
Super Moderator
19,884 Posts
On the nightstand next to my bed is one of two guns with really good night sights, a Sig 220 or a Kimber CDP Pro - both single-stack .45s. The SureFire light is to the left of the weapon with a small clock radio in between. Both gun and light fall immediately to hand, but the night sights on the gun provide a comforting visual index as to the its location.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I'm a big believer (as Ianthin, Gman & others have mentioned) in having important tools in a consistent, known place, each and every time.

At home, my nightstand has 3 things on top, in a specific placement. 1) A 1,000 lumen LED light, 2) Rapid deployment knife. 3) Cell phone.
And nearby, hidden in plain sight, 9-13 rounds of .45ACP, ready to rock.

Same setup for a hotel room, except an XDS9 also goes on the nightstand, aligned for an easy firing grip.

·
Super Moderator
24,665 Posts

I slip my 1911 in a Remora that covers the trigger, and yes, it is ready.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Whatever is my EDC sits on my nightstand next to my bed along with my trusty Pelican M-6 light. When I travel I put my EDC and light inside my boot right next to bed. (That is an old habit I had when deployed and TDY to various third world garden spots across the world:rolleyes:.)
I do the very same thing when there is no nightstand.

Left boot is the gun, right boot is the light.

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
Reactions: G-man*
1 - 20 of 34 Posts