Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I ran across this in the news today, a phone tracker to provide security for women. Personally, I scoff at ideas like this, thinking they're dangerous due to a false sense of security they may provide.
What say you?

·
Registered
10,966 Posts
can’t read the article, but if it says the government is trying to track people for their safety then it’s probably not a good idea.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
can’t read the article, but if it says the government is trying to track people for their safety then it’s probably not a good idea.
What i read is that One government official is backing the idea of a phone company app. But since we can't read the article who knows and its England so.....

Reactions: Havok

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What i read is that One government official is backing the idea of a phone company app. But since we can't read the article who knows and its England so.....
Hopefully the new link will work for folks.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Look, anyone who really wants to know where we are can track any of us who carry a phone with GPS. So unless you’re rocking the same phone you had in 1999, you can be tracked. Though I wouldn’t be surprised if we have members where this is the case. :)
My wife uses this feature when she travels and takes an Uber. It’s part of Uber’s app and sends me her location along the trip. If it heads off course, I can call her then alert authorities. Who knows if it will work. But it’s a nice to have.

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
My understand was this was due to a british cop using his badge to abudct tortuter and murder a women and no one stop him as he was a cop .. So they are doing a app that suppose to keep a eye on you in case you go missing I assume ..Course the UK is now saying dont trust the cops if they are alone and not in uniform etc so that will end well I am sure if they are saying to question them...

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
The idea would not have helped the women who were victims mentioned in the article. Meanwhile, they won't allow pepper spray or stun guns, much less firearms. The UK has long thought the way to solve any problem is with less personal freedom and more technology. It doesn't work. It may help the police catch the killers later, but that doesn't help the victims.

·
Premium Member
39,179 Posts
Beyond stupid. It will protect/save nobody.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
BUT.......but....but....it will make the victims FEEL better, kinda like rescue is just right around the corner...until the final few seconds when they realize that nobody is coming in time.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts