Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this to be informative and a good refresher. some may not agree with some of it but , but it is still a good starting point.
Cops and Concealed Carry

Reactions: GhostMaker

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I found this to be informative and a good refresher. some may not agree with some of it but , but it is still a good starting point.
Cops and Concealed Carry
While going to the mountains with my wife for a weekend the Highway Patrol was conducting a road block checking for licenses, DUI's, etc. I handed my permit over to the trooper with my license, and the only thing he asked was where I had it....which of course was on me. All he said was "Good....thanks for letting me know up front. Have a good weekend." I then continued on down the road.....

·
Premium Member
36,952 Posts
Hey, we haven't had a good "should I inform?" roundy-round for a couple weeks now. Just to get things rolling, let me state that I don't inform unless required to by law. No point in starting some where there is none.

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, we haven't had a good "should I inform?" roundy-round for a couple weeks now. Just to get things rolling, let me state that I don't inform unless required to by law. No point in starting some where there is none.
I dont think there is anything wrong with that one bit. If they dont ask I dont tell, unless I see a need for it. But with all thungs, in order to bend rules, you have to know what rules you are bending. It is very important for new CC'ers to be aware of state and local laws, not just to stay out of trouble but also to protect your rights. we all no that not every official has a solid grasp of laws.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
19,923 Posts
Where I live, the dispatcher informs the LEO the registered owner(s) have concealed handgun licenses before they approach the vehicle. I have been stopped a couple of times and let of with a warning. The subject never came up.

·
Premium Member
4,740 Posts
In Texas, we are required to inform an officer if he asks for identification and we are carrying at the time. My practice has been to hand the officer both my driver's license and CHL and answer his question if I am carrying a gun. I've been stopped twice in 8 years and both times the officer has told me to just keep the gun concealed.

Reactions: Snub44

·
Registered
210 Posts
Where I live, the dispatcher informs the LEO the registered owner(s) have concealed handgun licenses before they approach the vehicle. I have been stopped a couple of times and let of with a warning. The subject never came up.
I've asked several LEOs about this and they said that in many states/counties, they find out about your permit when they run your driver's license. I once had a deputy in Colorado who was trying to get ahold of me. He found my phone number through my permit. Unless I'm required to show them, I don't intend to bring it up. My philosophy with dealing with the law: never volunteer information, even if you have done nothing wrong.

·
Banned
1,029 Posts
We have to inform in S.C..Since 2004,,i've had to inform two times,and not one problem.One time i was a passenger carrying,and we got pulled.I wasn't asked,for id,so i didn't tell.People react different ways to different things.If i'm carrying,and don't have to inform,would rather not mention a gun.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I try to be courteous in all aspects of my life and appreciate it when others do the same. I'll show my CWP if stopped by a LEO even if it isn't required.

Reactions: Snub44 and USM1976

·
Registered
209 Posts
Well, It may be another "should I inform?" roundy-round but, I was not on here for the earlier ones so, thank you for the post. That's how new guys get good info. With my poor memory, "Every day is a new day for me". BTW, I still listen to 60s music even though I've heard it before. :wave:

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here in indiana our carry permits are not connected to our drivers license so dispatch would never know if we had one or not. The only way to actually verify as far as i know is if a cc'er hand you their permit.l I choose to hand mine over with my license as a courtesy, just so they know.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Well, It may be another "should I inform?" roundy-round but, I was not on here for the earlier ones so, thank you for the post. That's how new guys get good info. With my poor memory, "Every day is a new day for me". BTW, I still listen to 60s music even though I've heard it before. :wave:
But do you get NEW 60's music or just listen to some form of recorded music? Cause that's what old threads are like.

Reactions: Taurahe

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
Good reminder, thanks for posting.

·
Registered
53 Posts
In MN, the law specifically prohibits this kind of access to carry permit information. We are not required to notify, but we are required to answer if asked. The law does provide for access to hunter safety class info, which led to several reported cases of an officer asking about carrying to an individual who was not a permit holder but who had taken a hunter safety course.

In my case, if the interaction had nothing to do with my permit or carrying status, I don't offer it up. If it does or I am asked, i will respond truthfully. If it is obvious that my carry status will be discovered, I will inform before we get there. Personally, I have never understood the comments that people make about it being the polite thing to notify even if it is not required to do so. For me, the polite thing to do is to not bring an unrelated topic into the conversation. If others feel better about doing so - fine by me. I just don't think it's necessary unless/until it becomes necessary. in all the time I've carried in MN, I have never been asked, but I've had only 1 interaction (speeding ticket - I paid the fine...)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Good info, never hurts to review things.
Just a note on Michigan CLP. When stopped by a LEO the Michigan State Police site indicates you must "immediately disclose" that you're carrying. Here is a cut and past from their site:

An individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol who is stopped by a police officer (traffic stop or otherwise) while in possession of a pistol shall immediately disclose to the police officer that he or she is carrying a concealed pistol either on their person or in their motor vehicle.

Failure to disclose this information to a police officer carries the following penalties:

First offense = State Civil Infraction - $500 fine and 6-month CPL license suspension.
Second offense = State Civil Infraction - $1000 fine and CPL license revocation.

·
Registered
436 Posts
The State I live it is not required to notify Law Enforcement you are carrying concealed but my instructor for the class advised you do so as it actually tends to lower the stress level on the officer a bit if you are pulled over for a traffic infraction. How he explained it was, if you have a valid CCW you have already been vetted and will not be wanted or a criminal.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
My view on this is that if you do not notify the officer and he or she subsequently frisks you or such and finds it, you will have a very angry cop on your hands. Informing up front, on the other hand, is usually taken as a courtesy and sets a good tone for the encounter.

There have been exceptions to this, but this is the way it usually seems to go.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good info! In Mo, were not required to inform but I always do anyway before he runs my license and then gets jumpy.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Let's put it this way, when I was a police officer, I appreciated CHL holders telling me they were carrying. Doesn't mean I place any more trust in them personally, I just acknowledge their possession and become even more cautious. Besides, the law requiring notification to an LEO, when the person is checked, the information is attached
to his driver's license information.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts