Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While crusing back from my favorite gun store, Got on the freeway and minding my own business, ( i thought) when i popped a hill and there he was, my buddy riding with me said i think your going to get stop. i said dont know why i was only doing 66. here he came. i pulled over.

Now before i go on any further, i know some of you will disagree, and thats ok, but i said from day one this is what i was going to do and i stuck to my decision.

anyway the LEO stopped behind my car, got out came up to my window which i had down, already had both my hands on the steering wheel, my buddy had his hands where the leo could see them so when he came up and said see your license and insurance card, i stated i am a ccw, how would you like to procede with this, (which our instructor said to do if we were stopped) he stated do you have a gun, i said yes its in my left front pocket, and my wallet is my left rear pocket. he said ok, my buddy said "sir i am also a ccw" the leo said are you carrying? he said yes i have one in my left front pocket and one in the middle of the back.
The LEO stated ok great, he then said ok go ahead and get your license out. which i did and pulled it out along with ccw. LEO took my license and glanced at the ccw and stated i dont need that, and the reason i stopped you is that you were going 66 in a 55 mph zone, i stated yeap, but i thought it was 65 the leo stated well alot of people think that coming in this area, the city has got some compaints so thats why i am down here running radar, he then said you were only going 11 over and i am not going to write you a ticket, but i will need to go back to the car and write you a warning, i said sure thats fine,
(i thought geez i'm not going to say i didnt want to wait especially since he was only going to write me a warning) he went back after a few minutes he came back handed me the warning ticket and said you guys be safe and have a great afternoon and just remember this is a 55 mph zone, we said yes sir and thankyou, and wished him a Merry Christmas, and he told us to have a Merry Christmas too, rolled up the window signaled and went on my merry way.

if had to do over again..... I wouldnt do anything different and if i ever get stopped again will do the same thing.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Sounds like a good textbook stop. Good job.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Good stop, good post. Sound like a reasonable officer, told you why he pulled you over, told you why he was running radar in the area, wasn't alarmed by the concealed weapons.

That's the way it should be.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Sounds like it was handled well by everyone involved.

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
if had to do over again..... I wouldnt do anything different and if i ever get stopped again will do the same thing.
Let's know if your mind changes when you're face down on the ground because you needlessy informed a cop that you were armed

·
Registered
236 Posts
That';s how it should always be. BTW, next time by there, look and see if the speed sign is "hidden" or hard to see.

I think most cops will see a CCW/CCH as a cousin to a LEO at least and give a break when they can, at least if you treat them with respect and let them knowwhat as well as who you are.

If you have a license, no need to be afraid of the cops or even secretive about CCW.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
That's exactly how I plan to handle it if the situation arises (which at some point, probably will). Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
862 Posts
it sounds like everything worked out great and this cop was very comfortable with the situation. Sounds like it went smoothly.

·
Registered
201 Posts
That is exactly how I would have done it, especially as my state (NC) is a must inform state. I understand Treo's point of view and he must live where you don't have to inform.

Two sides of the coin, some people have had bad experiences and some go just like this. I remember reading on a forum (not sure if it was this one or a different one) that a guy was asked to get out of the car and he informed at that time that he had a permit and was carrying and the sheriff basically dared him to draw and said that he bet he was faster than the permit holder and that if he twitched funny that the sheriff would drop him where he stood. Stuff like that is uncalled for and might get somebody killed.

I am glad that it turned out well for you and I hope it continues too.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Tell me something, for informational purposes, and I'm serious: why would a LEO not react like this? What would be the benefit for the LEO to react negatively and make it a big thing for all involved? Has anybody had, or has anybody heard of someone having, a negative declaration?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I guess the reaction in my previous post would be considered negative. We posted at about the same time. Usally it is where the LEO is an "Anti", either Anti-gun, Anti-civilian-with-a-CCP, or Anti-civilian-with-a-gun-period.

(Sorry, I got a little hyphen happy :smile: )

Anyway, that is usually the explanation and some LEO's have voiced that opinion to some Permit Holders.

Doesn't make much sense to me for a LEO to be anti-gun, but it happens. :twak:

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
I think most cops will see a CCW/CCH as a cousin to a LEO
But the permit holder isn’t the “cousin of the LEO” the permit imputes exactly zero police authority to the permit holder and most cops (IME) view permit holders as amateur wannabes.

My theory is that those that are in such a hurry to inform see themselves as the “cousin of the LEO” ( IOW they are amatuer wannabes) and can’t wait to use the secret “I carry a gun too” handshake.

IMO the concept of guarding your civil liberties is something you either get or you don't if you get it, you get it. If you don't nothing you read here is going to convince you. I will promise you though you are but one bad cop away from understanding it perfectly.

the sheriff basically dared him to draw and said that he bet he was faster than the permit holder and that if he twitched funny that the sheriff would drop him where he stood.
THR I remember that thread

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
A good stop for all the right reasons:hand10:...now slow down...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Sounds like you did exactly what you should do. Everything went smoothly too. And congrats on not getting a ticket! :35:

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I too do not understand the need to inform police unless it is required by law in your state. When he stopped you did you think it was for some gun related reason? Where you scarring other drivers by brandishing your gun or shooting out the window? I am sure the answer is no so why bring up he subject? Some would say it is for "Officer safety" to which I reply the officer couldn't be safer with me and my gun. I am trained, (actually I am a trainer in MN), I have passed the required background check and I know how to safely handle a gun and abide by the law. So with me he is safe unlike stopping some criminal who is not going to tell him even if asked.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
I think most cops will see a CCW/CCH as a cousin to a LEO at least and give a break when they can, at least if you treat them with respect and let them knowwhat as well as who you are.

Treating them with courtesy and respect might help but the CCW in and of itself should not be expected to serve as a "get out of jail free card". Do the crime do the time.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Let's know if your mind changes when you're face down on the ground because you needlessy informed a cop that you were armed
Do you honestly think this would happen? I mean LEO's only want one thing when they are dealing with someone and that is their total cooperation. You give them that and they will be cool.

It doesn't really apply to me anyway though, as another poster said in NC you are required to inform them anyway. However, I don't know why anyone wouldn't in the first place.

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
Do you honestly think this would happen?
It does happen, frequently. I've had a cop reach for his gun as soon as he found out I was armed.

Yes Virginia, there really are cops out there that can not handle the idea of one of the peasentry armed around them.

I also think it's worth mentioning that only 9 state legistaures feel that it's important enough that they mandate that you inform. They other 38 states that allow CC don't seem to have a pile of dead cops that were killed by CHP holders.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I think you can expect.....

Do you honestly think this would happen? I mean LEO's only want one thing when they are dealing with someone and that is their total cooperation. You give them that and they will be cool.

It doesn't really apply to me anyway though, as another poster said in NC you are required to inform them anyway. However, I don't know why anyone wouldn't in the first place.
Any reaction from a friendly conversation about guns to being placed face down and disarmed and given a lecture on how you have no business carrying a gun. I have read of all these things happening. As to why a person wouldn't unless required by law please read my post above. I think that explains it pretty well.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Tell me something, for informational purposes, and I'm serious: why would a LEO not react like this? What would be the benefit for the LEO to react negatively and make it a big thing for all involved? Has anybody had, or has anybody heard of someone having, a negative declaration?
Not that it justifies the reaction, but there are some real idiots out there with CHPs. They are the minority to be sure, but they exist, no matter what any of us would like to think to the contraty. I can think of three examples right off the top of my head:

1) VA CHP holder who was intoxicated and driving, carrying, and lead us on a pursuit the resulted in his crashing and being charged with multiple felonies.

2) TX CHP holder who was in my jurisdiction carrying, intoxicated and driving, and when we arrested him he had just left a family members home where he threatened the resident with his handgun.

3) NC CHP holder who was using the fact that he had a CHP (and therefore did not need purchase permits) to buy multiple handguns (as many as 5 a week of the elcheapo type, Hi-Points, Jemeniz, etc.) and selling them on the street to prohibited persons in a neighboring jurisdiction.

Having a CHP does not make someone an automatic good guy in my experience. It does increase the chance that one is, but its not a sure thing. I don't disarm CHP holders on stops under normal circumstances (a DWI investigation or something similar would be different), but I accept that I am taking a risk by not doing so.

Other officers I am sure have had bad experiences with CHP holders also, and they may choose (rightly or wrongly) to react differently during interactions with armed permit holders.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts