Defensive Carry banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been on the lookout for a good OTF auto for a while now. I've wanted one every since I was a kid and saw a family friend's. The ones that I find at gun/knife shows are always crap, and looking around online, I've only ever found them up in the $300+ range. Is there a nice middle-ground? Something that is decent quality but not going to break the bank?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
No such thing as a good OTF…! A decent one would be the Microtech. The Scabard (sp?) is pretty slick. Unfortunately, there's no cheap, quality options that I'm aware of. It's hard to make a sturdy OTF, so most are not that durable.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was looking at the Microtechs, and they seemed to be decent quality for the price. Unfortunately, the price was a bit high. I wish I could remember the brand from the one I saw when I was a kid. It seemed pretty sturdy. Not something I'd take out into the woods for survival, but for an EDC knife for defense and light utility use, it seemed more than adequate.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
They are ok for basic stuff, but they can have issues with their mechanisms and they are not very solid compared to a good folder. It seems like they could somehow reinforce the bottom of the blade and have a kind of channel that it snugs into to, making it suitable for prying. Then again, I'm in no way an engineer or designer, so I have no clue what I'm talking about.

What I do know is that I can take a Strider SnG or SMF, which is s30v with a great heat treat, and pry with it. When it finally gives, it's the blade that often breaks and not the pivot or lock. That's what I look for. Though it's unlikely I'll pry with a folder like I would a fixed blade, I really appreciate the robustness and durability.

Had I not gotten spoiled by that type of durability, I probably wouldn't mind the OTF's. My buddy has a benchmade Infidel, I think 3 of them, and he refers to them as letter openers. If you need something fast that you can easily open with one had in less than ideal positions, the Emersons with the Wave are always a good option. They can be had well under MSRP as well if you look around. They kind of fall in that price range between Microtechs and and cheap OTF's. Obviously though, they're not OTF's!

Sorry I can't be of more help here.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I have an HK Tumult by Benchmade... You can get them for $175 at BladeHQ.com. It's far from what I'd call a durable knife. I have it just to have it. I wouldn't feel good using it for any kind of real use other than opening packages and other various minor cutting situations. My folders that I really like and would rely on are my Benchmades, Emerson's and Spyderco's. OTF knives just aren't tough enough for serious use. I have a Ka-Bar ESEE Izula that I have if I really need to be hard on a knife.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.