Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking for a good home defense shot gun from what i am hearing mossberg or remington is my best bet for a reasonably priced pump action 12 gauge. i may trade my Kel Tec p3at for one. what is a good price for one of these shot guns? i appreciate any info everybody has.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I bought a used (less than 10 shells) Mossy 500 for $200. sprung the extra $80 for a shortened (18.5") barrel.

·
Banned
13,685 Posts
$300 or less possibly if you're willing to hunt a bit. Nothing wrong with used if in good condition. Brand new, a bit more than that probably.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
You can go from 200 to whatever your bank account will allow. But you do get what you pay for. Good news is, most people don't really require or expect much out of their HD shotgun, so the lower end options are just fine.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
You can go from 200 to whatever your bank account will allow. But you do get what you pay for. Good news is, most people don't really require or expect much out of their HD shotgun, so the lower end options are just fine.
What SIXTO said.

·
Registered
251 Posts
New Remington 870 with 18" bbl and magazine extension: under $280

But that is because South Carolina had a "tax free firearm sales" weekend the weekend after Thanksgiving 2008 AND Remington had a $30 rebate on the 870 at the same time.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Price is key. You can put so much stuff on a shortie, that you'll need a wagon to get it from room to room. shop around, there always a deal to be had.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Academy has the Mossberg Persuader combo for $289, if there's one near you... It's an excellent HD gun...

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Academy has the Mossberg Persuader combo for $289, if there's one near you... It's an excellent HD gun...
ACADEMY ALWAYS HAS GOOD PRICES ON GUNS, BUT THEY WONT SPECIAL ORDER ANYTHING FOR YOU.ITS STILL A GOOD PLACE TO BUY FROM.m

·
Registered
303 Posts
I bought a Maverick Security 88 for under $250.00. Same as Mossberg 500 series without the fluff. Can utilize 99% of Mossberg accessories.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought a Maverick Security 88 for under $250.00. Same as Mossberg 500 series without the fluff. Can utilize 99% of Mossberg accessories.
hey John that maverick 88 is that a 12 gauge and how long a barrel on that model? with out what fluff are you talking about i thought the 500 was pretty much a bare bones deal too.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
See Mossberg 500 and Maverick 88 below. Both are 12 gauge. Maverick is intended as a budget shotgun (price only, quality is excellent) with maybe a longer barrel for hunting. The Mossberg 500 is far from a bare bones as it the basic block of a whole system that can be accessorized (stocks, barrels and other parts) up to a deluxe shotgun. As you can see I have both for HD (plus 4 other Mossy 500s for hunting.) Other than safety placement, there is not really that much difference between them except for some fit and finish. If you are not going in for skeet, or deer hunting or such and are looking just for a working shotgun, the Maverick is your baby.

·
Registered
371 Posts
At NC gun shows they usually sell a Mossberg 500 with
pistol grip, heat shield and parkerized finish for right
around $300. I personally dont like the Mavericks
a friend of mine had one and it had a few problems
with the pump but most who buy them say they are
good and dont seem to have any probs with them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts