Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hand held metal detectors and walk through scanners are popping up in places it is not unlawful to carry; if lawfully armed you will be turned away none the less.

I do a lot of defensive/offensive blade training, recently my group did a couple of sessions working point driven SD tactics with G10 implements. While I have seen demos by great NPE tool designers, like Matt from Bravo Zulu, where their tools cut well, I prefer using G10 to stab rather than slash.

We had several different maker’s offerings present, but I chose Black Triangle out of Chesapeake, VA. I ordered a Serval, which is very close to a live blade, Kopis L-Via, that I typically carry and train with. I ordered a Serval blunt trainer to accompany the live tool, and also a mini-Donovan; a small dagger shaped tool. All came with zero metal Kydex sheaths.

Always be working to up your -not get murdered game.

Black Triangle’s shipping packages are really interesting old VHS rental boxes with their logo made to look like a worn out cassette. I was impressed by how sturdy and well made everything is. I know they got 7 orders from my crew over the weekend.

·
Registered
11,578 Posts
Did you have to show me that? I have the knife thing going almost as bad as I had the firearm thing going....

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Super COOL! I have several "early design, NPE knives", But stopped carrying one, because I felt, "the technology of the material" was "dated". Thanks for posting this, PLUSE the "product info"! (y) (y)

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Super COOL! I have several "early design, NPE knives", But stopped carrying one, because I felt, "the technology of the material" was "dated". Thanks for posting this, PLUSE the "product info"! (y) (y)
I’m sure we will be doing some penetration tests, we typically do a meat-man or some other type of live testing every 6 months. I’ll put up any results.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
I’m sure we will be doing some penetration tests, we typically do a meat-man or some other type of live testing every 6 months. I’ll put up any results.
Thanks Matt!! Will "positively want to know the results"! (y)

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Cool tool. Ive heard some stuff about plastic blades/handheld weapons that are carried concealed designed to pass through metal detectors being questionable in the legality realm. Not sure either way though.

·
Registered
11,317 Posts
Cool tool. Ive heard some stuff about plastic blades/handheld weapons that are carried concealed designed to pass through metal detectors being questionable in the legality realm. Not sure either way though.
If you have to pass through metal detectors, I would rather a metal non-tactical pen (like a Zebra), a heavy belt buckle, or a cane than something designed to escape detection. I have also flown many times with a body armor panel in my briefcase.

I think you'd be better off training with such improvised weapons than skirting the law with plastic knives.

Nope. Not for me.

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you have to show me that? I have the knife thing going almost as bad as I had the firearm thing going....
One of the bosses here needs to give you a demerit, you have neglected to keep us updated on new knife reviews. OV, does this rank losing a Christmas card?

·
Registered
43,703 Posts
One of the bosses here needs to give you a demerit, you have neglected to keep us updated on new knife reviews. OV, does this rank losing a Christmas card?
Certainly gets no bonus points.

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I think you'd be better off training with such improvised weapons than skirting the law with plastic knives.
I think you are missing the point, these are not to skirt locations where there are penalties and legalities if carrying a weapon.
These are for non permissive environment aka free kill zones where you would be ok legally to be armed, but some communist has set up “security circus”.

I train blade, heavily, why would I switch to a cane in an NPE, I can carry a tool I am most capable with made out of a durable non-metallic. You are not getting through an airline security checkpoint with a G10 tool. Well, not any more likely than someone with a real knife.

I train pen/pencil for no weapon zones.

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would rather a metal non-tactical pen (like a Zebra),
The zebra quality has gotten really bad, lots of plastic between metal sleeves. I snapped one writing a contract not too long ago, bent into a slight j as I was writing.

Tuff Writer has some innocent looking clicker pens that you could hammer through a 4x4, they aren’t cheap. The old school Crystal Bic pens always perform well in Ed’s Organic Medium Entry out of the super cheap disposable pens.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Regardless of where you intend to use these tools, the information and techniques involved seem well worth the (little) time and effort to acquire. You never know when you'll find yourself in need of an improvised weapon. As always, combat is a thinking man's game.

·
Registered
11,578 Posts
I'll have to drag out my collection and take a picture for you. I have been actually thinking about starting a thread titled something like, "Why are knives so addicting?" But then, I realized what a stupidly rhetorical question that is - especially among the group of addicts and enablers around here....

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Luckily I haven't had to go thru a metal detector in close to 20 years. I just cannot think of a place around my parts that would set up a metal detector or "wand" you as you go in. Cool product though.

·
Registered
11,578 Posts
Maybe I'll just stick to pens, too. It worked pretty well for Jason Bourne!

·
Registered
11,317 Posts
I think you are missing the point, these are not to skirt locations where there are penalties and legalities if carrying a weapon.
These are for non permissive environment aka free kill zones where you would be ok legally to be armed, but some communist has set up “security circus”.

I train blade, heavily, why would I switch to a cane in an NPE, I can carry a tool I am most capable with made out of a durable non-metallic. You are not getting through an airline security checkpoint with a G10 tool. Well, not any more likely than someone with a real knife.

I train pen/pencil for no weapon zones.
I was commenting on @Chuck808 post about how in some jurisdictions plastic knives may be of questionable legality. Knife laws are even more convoluted than gun laws and I have no desire to push the limits.

True story: My family visited a kids museum when I was still serving as an Auxiliary PO. They had a no gun policy and “security” with wands. Before I could show my ID and ask to lock my guns in the security office, he wands me and it goes beeping like mad. He assumed it was my phone, flashlight, keys and belt buckle, and waved me through. At that point I figured it was better to just go with the flow so I pushed my daughter’s wheelchair in.

They also never checked the diaper bag.

So, security theater can be less of an issue than you might think, depending on how serious they are.

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Luckily I haven't had to go thru a metal detector in close to 20 years. I just cannot think of a place around my parts that would set up a metal detector or "wand" you as you go in. Cool product though.
Our town fair does and needs to, gang shooting the first night. I don’t attend as it’s been frequented by the criminal element from surrounding areas for over a decade. The next town over, Roanoke, cancelled their fair years ago because it was nothing but fights and problems.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts