Defensive Carry banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I was commenting on @Chuck808 post about how in some jurisdictions plastic knives may be of questionable legality. Knife laws are even more convoluted than gun laws and I have no desire to push the limits.
Exactly my point. I cant find a solid answer. It seems they use common sense about plastic cutlery in the scenario that youre stopped, and in your EDC bag, pocket, or take-out food bag there is some sort of flimsy disposable plastic silverware set, but I also see other things that state that carrying something that is designed to be a weapon and is made out of a material designed to avoid detection by replacing use of metal to something else like plastic, ceramic, etc, that might be pushing the boundary.

That being said, a little 3" dagger isnt going to be an immediate fight stopper anyway. Id rather just carry my pepper spray. I dont keep it in a pocket, I keep it attached to my pants, behind my belt. I can wear a tucked in shirt, as I do for my job, get patted down, and it is in no way visible or anything you can feel. Id also imagine there isnt enough metal to trigger a metal detector. If a small belt buckle or cuff link wont trigger the detector, the at most small spring that holds the safety down in my POM spray definitely wont. On top of that, a shot to the face with pepper spray WILL immediately take someone out of the fight. Sure, it wont be lethal like a small dagger can be, but Im not trying to kill someone, I just want an attitude adjuster for the drunk guy at the bar that is determined to pick a fight.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I what to say NY state and some other states ban or are trying to ban non metal knifes and there is some question legality of them why a number are sold with metal key rings so they are "metal" knifes .

I do see this as handy in a last ditch situation ie at a place that has some worthless unarmed rent a cops but has searches etc and someone starts something if you are back into a wall or are blocked from runing you have something to strike with

Note these are not meant for slashing but thursting ... So very OSS in many ways

·
Registered
69 Posts
I wear a carbon fiber neck knife on the rare occasion I have to enter a NPE. Just for fun, I slipped a Benchmade Bugout between my belt buckle and jeans the last time I went to the auditorium in New Orleans to see a comedian. Security wanded me and assumed it was the buckle, I clipped it to my pocket as soon as we were inside. I guess I'll keep doing that until I get caught.

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I wear a carbon fiber neck knife on the rare occasion I have to enter a NPE. Just for fun, I slipped a Benchmade Bugout between my belt buckle and jeans the last time I went to the auditorium in New Orleans to see a comedian. Security wanded me and assumed it was the buckle, I clipped it to my pocket as soon as we were inside. I guess I'll keep doing that until I get caught.
Greg Ellifritz has told me he has carried a .380 to venues behind a big belt buckle.

Be careful with carbon fiber it can set off the more sensitive detectors, some CF tool makers claim.

·
Registered
12,760 Posts
Hand held metal detectors and walk through scanners are popping up in places it is not unlawful to carry; if lawfully armed you will be turned away none the less.

I do a lot of defensive/offensive blade training, recently my group did a couple of sessions working point driven SD tactics with G10 implements. While I have seen demos by great NPE tool designers, like Matt from Bravo Zulu, where their tools cut well, I prefer using G10 to stab rather than slash.

We had several different maker’s offerings present, but I chose Black Triangle out of Chesapeake, VA. I ordered a Serval, which is very close to a live blade, Kopis L-Via, that I typically carry and train with. I ordered a Serval blunt trainer to accompany the live tool, and also a mini-Donovan; a small dagger shaped tool. All came with zero metal Kydex sheaths.

Always be working to up your -not get murdered game.

Black Triangle’s shipping packages are really interesting old VHS rental boxes with their logo made to look like a worn out cassette. I was impressed by how sturdy and well made everything is. I know they got 7 orders from my crew over the weekend.

View attachment 359774
That will go great with my Glock 7!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts