Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a friend who is getting into shooting and is interested in getting a ccw permit.

He has shot my 1911 but wants to try some others. He mentioned that the sig 226 felt good in his hands. Simply based on the availability of .40 cal ammo at walmart I am thinking that a 40 cal gun would be a good first shooter.

Do you have anything you would recommend in 40 cal?

·
Registered
449 Posts
There are plenty of 40 Caliber guns out there. Smith & Wesson made a Chief's Special 40 (CS40), Springfield Armory EMP 40, Glock etc. The great thing about the 40 is that ammo is readily available and at an affordable price. Glock is reliable and great bang for the buck. The EMP is a bit pricey, close to $1,000. Smith & Wesson stopped production on the CS40 because of the lighter weight polymer guns. However, if you are lucky you can find a CS40 new-in-box for about $450-500. For the time being, I am in the 1911 style fashion craze!

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Glock 23 is my choice. Large enough to be very accurate and fun at the range. Small enough to conceal. It's a Glock, you know they're reliable. They're not too expensive, about ~$500 and there's tons of accessories you can pickup for them as well.

I do like HKs and SIGs as well, but I don't like HK triggers and I think SIGs are a bit heavy for carry but as a range or go to HD gun a SIG is great. You'll will get all kinds of answers. Everything from Glock, to an XD, to an M&P. I'd say have your friend find a local range that rents guns and try them out. See what works for him and what doesn't. Everything has a slightly different feel including recoil.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I love my XD40 service. Accurate, shoots whatever I feed it, easy to handle, goes bang everytime I pull the trigger, what more can one say?

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Glock 23 for a compact, concealable, high capacity, and reliable ccw. While I have no experience with it, a Glock 27 would be just the same if he's in need of something smaller.

I did love my XDM in .40 as well, but it was definitely not as easy to conceal as my Glock 23 is...

·
Registered
902 Posts
My recommendation would be the M&P 40 in a full size or compact, depending on the primary purpose.

If your friend holds one, nothing else will feel quite right.

Being made in the U.S. and having a lifetime warranty doesn't hurt either.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Find a Colt Defender in 40. I've got one and love it. Colt doesn't make them in 40 anymore, but they are out there.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I've shot the glock .40's, the P226, P229, the S&W, and a few others. I absolutely love my P229. If I was getting a .40 for non carry, I'd get the P226.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Just read on S&W news that the Washington State Police placed an order for the S&W M&P 40 over a "European Rival". The M&P is a nice looking piece!

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
SIG... any SIG!

My favorite is the P-229R and if I got a .40, that'd be it! :smile:

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Got a .40 cal that you like?
Yep....a couple of them. Both Glocks!

·
8,501 Posts
M&P. I love mine!

·
Registered
40 Posts
+1 for a Sig p229R. I love mine, feels more like an extension of my hand rather than a pistol. Eats whatever I put in it, never had a ftf.

·
Registered
11,497 Posts
I can recommend the XD .40 Service and sub compact models, the guns that my wife and I carry every day.

I can also recommend the Glock 23, my former EDC. Both are very good guns.

·
Super Moderator
18,175 Posts
I will second the suggestion to try several at the range, as far as a 40 the only one I own is a Kahr CW 40. It is a real pleasure to shoot and very accurate with the best DAO trigger of any I have tried.

·
Premium Member
3,019 Posts
My M&P 40 compact is a perfect carry gun and very little recoil for a 40.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts