Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Exactly six weeks to the day from when I submitted my application. Interview will be in two weeks at which point I'll be two months into the licensing process, leaving four (at most) months left.

I swear, I feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas.

This is a "target/hunting" license and not CCW. Looks like I'll be joining a club with "24/7" range access".

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I am glad for your progress, relative to your location but oh boy - do you have to jump thru some hoops or what!

Step over the state line into PA and - what a different world.

No way I can see to make you wait over such an extended time frame - it is blatently unconstitutional IMO. I wish you loads of luck in achieving a speedy resolution anyways.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Congratz...sounds like NY is even worse than Arkansas about taking its sweet time. AR state police have 120 days to deny your app if they're going to. That includes 30 days to give the Sheriff or Chief of Police the opportunity to object. Most Sheriffs and Chiefs just imply consent by not responding within the 30 days so unless you get lucky, you're looking at a minimum of 30 to get your CCW.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
This is a "target/hunting" license and not CCW. Looks like I'll be joining a club with "24/7" range access".
Take note - this is NOT for a CCW! :frown:

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Good luck!

I hope your interview goes well and the rest of the application get approved.

srfl <------- has his fingers crossed for you.

....however if you are in the City, you still have a decent chance of getting it approved as I knew a few "regular joes" that got their target permits....else where in the state...not sure; can't be any worse than getting anything firearms-related in NYC.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The wait is indeed crazy. I know it can't "physically" take that long to process the paper work. IMHO I think they use that time as a "probationary" period, hoping you mess up somehow so they can deny.

Take note - this is NOT for a CCW!
I don't follow....did I post this in the wrong forum?

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
No sweat - just pointing out to folks that this application process and interview and delay - was all for the hunting/range licence - not even for a CCW - making the point again that your hoops and hurdles are extreme!

I feel for you having such a long process.

Not sure if this forum is ideal as not strictly a CCW issue but we'll let it rest here awhile.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
P95Carry said:
No sweat - just pointing out to folks that this application process and interview and delay - was all for the hunting/range licence - not even for a CCW - making the point again that your hoops and hurdles are extreme!

I feel for you having such a long process.

Not sure if this forum is ideal as not strictly a CCW issue but we'll let it rest here awhile.

Gotcha....and thanks to all for the wishes of luck. Please feel free to move this where it fits best.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
On reflection I don't think any other sub forum is really any better suited so we'll stay put :smilez:

·
Registered
113 Posts
What County?

NYS licensing is all over the place as you probably know...you may be able to get the restrictions removed after awhile and get a full carry. Please consider joining the NYS Rifle and Pistol Association and NRA if you aren't already a member...we need to change things in NYS!

I'm in Albany Co and had to go through police training before I got my restrictions removed. Saratoga Co will not even let their police officers carry off-duty. We need all the help we can get in changing the laws in NYS. Please help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
In NYS it can be a crap shoot, but there are a number of counties that operate on a shall issue basis. I grew up in one such county,and I applied for my ccw recently. I dropped off my app to the sheriff on April 19. I received notice of approval from the judge last week, and notice from the clerk's office that they are awaiting the numbers on my first purchase for issue, today. About 10 weeks, if i can add correctly. This is very good news, because I wil soon be moving to Ithaca, which as I understand is worse than Capital Region counties.

A question for anyone knowledgable on NY procedures. The judge approves each handgun that is licensed to the owner. Has anyone heard of handgun's being rejected by an eligible licensee? If so, I may want to purchase my carry gun before moving, and being subjected to another judge's consideration. Any comment is much appreciated.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
**UPDATE**

Just got home from my interview and all seems to be going well...and FAST too.

Interview consisted of digital photo and digital fingerprint scan, along with a few questions and signatures. Very basic stuff and took about a half hour. Officer was very polite and friendly (small talk, joking around, etc).

The only downside is that I was given 2 MORE forms that need to be filled out and notorized by 2 of my 4 character references. Not a big deal but, I don't like to impose. I also don't like to let the forms get out of my hands (may get lost, forgotten about, put off for a later time, etc). I'll have bribe them over here with some cold ones and BBQ...el oh el.

Anywho....

The GOOD news is that it looks like I should have my permit sometime in August. That would make the wait 3 months instead of 6which is super cool with me. I was told that all the April applicants were just finished up and they are now on May apps (which is me).

MIND YOU, as P95Carry said earlier, this is NOT for a CCW. This is for a "Target/Sportsman" license.

I figure I'll post all updates in this thread for those that are interested and for anyone that may have questions about the Suffolk County pistol license process.

d9 - out

P.S. Still can't decide between USPC 9mm, Sig 229 or 92F....no idea.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Well - glad some useful progress - even if riddled with obstacles!!!
Still can't decide between USPC 9mm, Sig 229 or 92F....no idea
You will have to somehow try all three - then you will probably know!!! I'd go SIG - but I am a SIGo'phile :wink:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Glad I dont live in NY..all those hoops, and tricks to do something I could go do right now...buy a handgun.

Blatant disrespect for the 2nd Amendment in NY.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hsuCowboy98 said:
Glad I dont live in NY..all those hoops, and tricks to do something I could go do right now...buy a handgun.

Blatant disrespect for the 2nd Amendment in NY.
I hear ya...

The fact that I'm actually excited about a 3 month wait and progressing through all these obstacles, speaks volumes about how bad it actually is.

I can't even imagine what it would be like living in a pro 2A State....I really can't. Honest to God, I feel like I live in a different country, no American should have to feel this way.

Something seems REALLY wrong when an American citizen is forced to perform a "song and dance" for a right that he is legally entitled to.

IMHO it is illegal what anti 2A States are getting away with and I am shocked as to how nothing is done about it...not "eventually"....not "someday" but, IMMEDIATELY!

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
wow...imagine if newspaper reporters needed a permit/interview for each article they wrote!...

I feel sorry for you guys in NY...an interview to exercise your rights.

Mike in VA

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Good luck....
Here in TN, most times the range is someone's land and the only range permit you need is their "ok"....

·
Registered
22 Posts
New York......easy peasy, try next door in New Jersey!

Here to purchase a hand gun requires a number of "roll over, play dead, wait" actions.

First you have to be granted a Firearms Purchase Identification Card after which, assuming all goes well you can now purchase rifles and/or shotguns. Lots and lots of paper work, at least two references who have know you for at least 3-4 years, permission to root around in you medical history and it also gets sent to your place of work for them to sign off on it. HR was somewhat interested in that one !!!
Once you have this then you need a Permit to Purchase a handgun

To purchase a handheld you need to apply for a permit to purchase which is good for one pistol, you can apply for more than one at a time although I have it from a very reliable source that more than 2 in an initial request is looked on as possibly suspicious.

This whole process takes over 3 months and once approved, FBI check etc has taken place goes back to your local Chief of Police to sign off.......where it can wait some more.

As for Concealed Carry, more likely to get a find an honest politician than get one of those.....:cool:

This I might add is the state where the politicians in Jersey City just passed a local ordinance forbidding any resident of new Jersey from purchasing more than one handgun a month from the single licenced firearms dealer in Jersey City. This was after it was demonstrated and accepted that there has never been any record of a legally purchased firearm from this shop ever being used in an illegal act....

I particularily liked the comment from the City Council President saying "this is feel-good legislation that will probably not reduce crime, but we have to start somewhere, so I am voting yes"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dear friends

Thank very much for all. I like Got a call for pistol license interview today very much.

Very useful for me.

Rgs

1 - 20 of 38 Posts