Defensive Carry banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
wait just a minute!!!!!!

A pistol permit "INTERVIEW"?????????

are you KIDDING ME???? this is an interview just to be able to BUY a handgun????

what country are you in?? (oh wait, i just saw your location NEW YORK)

i never knew there were places you had to go interview to buy a handgun........

I mean what the hell do they ask you during your "interview"??? and you can only have it at the range???

and New Jersey you have to provide "REFERENCES".....OMG, i cant stand any more.......

thank God and Heaven I live in a Great Free State like Kentucky.....

what a joke, "interview".....pfffffffft.....

I truly feel for you guys in those communist, backwards-ass states....Please move down here to Kentucky where you walk into a gun shop, say "I want that one", fill out the 4470, two minute instant backround check and out the door you go with your new gun......and if you have a CCW permit they don't even do the instant backround check.......

·
Registered
50 Posts
...P.S. Still can't decide between USPC 9mm, Sig 229 or 92F....no idea.
I don't have a P229 (I have two other Sigs and they're both great weapons), but I have a USP Compact 9mm and a 92F - two VERY different weapons. Personally, the only reason I still have the 92F is because I don't like to get rid of any weapon :smile: It was my first handgun and I bought it way back in the early-80s before I had any intention of concealed carrying. It's a large weapon and has a large grip - unless you've got good sized hands, it may feel too big for you. The SA trigger pull is heavy compared to most modern handguns (at least it is on mine). But because of it's size, it's got a very mild recoil, and it's also got a longer sight radius than the USPC so it has the capability of being more accurate. The USP on the other hand is a polymer frame, which makes it much lighter. I carried it every day for over 5 years and really like the USP - it is a joy to shoot.

All of those are reliable weapons and would be good choices - it will just depend on what you want to do with it, and since it seems to be difficult to buy a handgun in NYS, put some thought into future use too. There are many other options that you might want to consider also - Glock 17/19 (since you seem to be leaning 9mm), S&W M&P, Springfield XD/XDM are just a few. As others have said, the best thing you can do is find a range where you can rent them and try as many as possible.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
The wait is indeed crazy. I know it can't "physically" take that long to process the paper work. IMHO I think they use that time as a "probationary" period, hoping you mess up somehow so they can deny.

I don't follow....did I post this in the wrong forum?
I wonder how long the bad guys wait to buy their guns in NY? Is there a waiting period for street thugs too? I swear, why anyone wants to live in places like NY, IL, or other anti-gun states is beyond me. OP, good luck!

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
I wonder why people are bringing up 5 year old threads.

·
Registered
3 Posts
OMG! I am so sorry for you. In AK no CC permit required, no permit to purchase, if you want a permit to CC Troopers "shall issue" within 30 days if you can legally own. The advantage to getting a permit is that it is accepted by 36 States. With all due respect you guys have a lot of work to do in the ballot box, good luck. By the way, we accept your CC permit, but then again we don't care if you have one or not. As long as you are legal to own a hand gun you can CC, (21 years old and no felonies).

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Too bad you have to go through all of that. In Virginia, you can open carry with no license or application and you can carry in your car glove box with no permit as well. For CC permit, just took a class and completed the application. No problem.

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
WOW,it takes me all of about 5 minutes to buy a gun in Texas,and you can carry concealed in your vehicle without a permit.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Took 2 days and $10 for my CCW.........usually it takes up to 30 days or more but I have a DOD "secret" clearance and just had my HAZMAT clearance done so it didn't long for me at all.........a pistol interview???? really???

·
Banned
228 Posts
Exactly six weeks to the day from when I submitted my application. Interview will be in two weeks at which point I'll be two months into the licensing process, leaving four (at most) months left.

I swear, I feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas.

This is a "target/hunting" license and not CCW. Looks like I'll be joining a club with "24/7" range access".
God I love AZ. Buy handgun and take home same day, carry on your person, in vehicle, etc (open OR concealed)...no permit needed... :danceban:

·
Banned
948 Posts
WOW, May I speak for all us Texans and tell you that your perfectly welcome to move down here to a much less nazi state.

·
Banned
228 Posts
New York......easy peasy, try next door in New Jersey!

Here to purchase a hand gun requires a number of "roll over, play dead, wait" actions.
Then pack it up and move from one of the most corrupt and overtaxed states in the union. Seriously, I'd pretty much commit suicide if I ever had to move back to the northeast. And, don't tell me it's "too hard" or it can't be done. We moved from behind enemy lines in libtard la la land (Connecticut) last year to Arizona...for good!

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
Exactly six weeks to the day from when I submitted my application. Interview will be in two weeks at which point I'll be two months into the licensing process, leaving four (at most) months left.

I swear, I feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas.

This is a "target/hunting" license and not CCW. Looks like I'll be joining a club with "24/7" range access".
You know, everything you just said is just plain scary to me that anyone in this country has to do any of that to go shoot a gun. I think it violates the 2A in so many ways. I could not and would not even live in a state with those kind of laws.

Sorry, but it really hit me about like getting an email from Mars.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I assume you are either from Nassau or Suffolk. Don't even try the 24/7 range bit, the Cops on the island aren't stupid. Plenty of guys have gotten their license taken away for that.

·
Banned
47 Posts
CCW

Just sent in my renewal for MY AZ CCW have have it since the first year we were able.. will not even visit a state that does not allow my permit. I am sure they dont miss me me and I am not missing anything there... good luck to you in NY

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
My sister, her husband, youngest daughter, and my youngest daughter all live in the Rochester NY area. When they applied for their concealed carry permits I told them to check only "self defense". That's what they did, and 6 months later they all had their concealed carry licenses in NY. They had an interview, no problem. Now they have to have each gun entered on their permit, which they do. My sister's family enter every handgun in the house on all three permits, that way nobody ends up with the "wrong" gun.

Now that they have their NY permits, they can drive down and apply for PA permits. I, on the other hand, being a PA resident can not apply for a NY permit so I'm always the "sheep" when I visit.

PA is so much better it almost defies description. Very few places one can't carry in PA.

Fitch

21 - 38 of 38 Posts