Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I picked up another J frame S&W but this one is a 357 Magnum.
It is a 640-1, It does have carry wear but the lock up is good.
I hope to get some nicer wood grips when I get the chance.
The rubber grips that are on it now seem to have a stripped screw.
So I may need to have my gunsmith drill it out so I can put some other grips on it.
I won't be able to shoot it until Saturday and then I will be able to use it for carry.
This is my 3rd J frame this month. I do have the sickness.

Attachments

·
Registered
407 Posts
I just bought the same gun today! Had it on layaway for a while, and it came home with me today. 640-3 for me, and I already have the crossbreed to carry it in. The dimensions are very similar as my 3" 1911, but it conceals much more easily with that rounded grip.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
You have a sickness and I am jealous. Congrats on another fine gun. Them smiths you are acquiring are quite nice. Enjoy, the j fram is IMO an extremely easy gun to carry.

·
Super Moderator
18,498 Posts
Two Guns, you're just "ate up with them Smith & Wessons."

I'm glad for I'm enjoying your posts. Want to hear your impressions of .357 Magnum J-Frame shooting.

·
Premium Member
7,798 Posts
I have three 640's in .357. These are excellent carry guns. I've taken to using boot grips and .38's in these. The boot grips aid in concealability and the .38's are very managable.

I have found the triggers may vary. Some have been quite stiff, other have been less so. I have five model 60's and 640's in .357, and all but one had a *smooth* trigger, and that was easily fixed with an Arkansas stone. Note "stiff" and "smooth" are two differnet beasts.

Enjoy your 640-1. It's an all business carry weapon and will not fail you.

By the way, I see you have been buying a lot of Smiths lately. I myself have bought five in the last seven weeks. Maybe you and I need to start a twelve-step program (but let's wait until we run out of money before we do that).

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The trigger is real sweet on the 640-1. I ran out of money years ago.

·
Registered
13,042 Posts
I had a 640-1 years ago, great gun. Then I got bit by the ScTi bug thinking it was the 2nd coming and traded for one. I am a guy that shoots my guns and after 2 trips back to S&W for new frames I sold it and bought a 640 Pro!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Congrats on the 640-1. I have one too. :smile:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Great gun! My 640-1 came with wood grips as well as the rubber ones you have. The trigger was the smoothest out of the box I've ever felt, but I had it worked on and now it's even better. Also added an XS Big Dot sight. You will like this gun! IMGP3458a.JPG IMGP3463.aJPG.jpg

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I got the stripped grips off and all I had on hand were these pink grips.
So I will have to go pink until I get some new grips.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I found an other set of grips tonight that are not pink so I put them on. They will have to do until my black grips come in.

Attachments

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have a 649-3 Bodyguard, .357 mag, with the single action shrouded hammer or, "cocking nub" as Ayoob calls it. The trigger became very stiff and the action sluggish. I took it to a local "gunny". He did a complete break down: clean, polish, timing, lube, and a new spring set. The double action trigger is now a smooth 5lbs. I rarely think about the "cocking nub" anymore. I carry the 135 grain Speer, short barrel JHP. The steel frame and combat grips really help to absorb recoil.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The 640-1 shoots like a dream. I hope my grips come in today because my middle finger nuckel is killing me from the 357 loads (Trigger Guard smacks it when recoiling).
I put about 200 357 rounds and 150 38 rounds down the tube. It shoots point of aim with both calibers.
The 38's felt recoil is very low and the 357 recoil is not that bad besides the trigger guard banging my middle finger nuckel.
All in all I am very happy with my new primary carry gun.

·
Banned
2,268 Posts
Good choice. I have had a j-frame since 1973. I recently switched over to Ruger LCR's due to their better triggers and lighter weight without paying a premium for that. You will enjoy the freedom from buying extra magazines, worry about jamming, ability to put any ammo in it and not worry if it will cycle your gun. Plus you can see all the bullets and that makes them safe in my book. Just practice with it as they are not a gun you just pick up and shoot well from day one. It takes a little getting used to them but I have demonstrated to many a person that you can make COM hits at 25 yards with practice. If you want a mild recoiling round that actually seems to out perform the Speer Gold Dot .38 spl +P short barrel, buy some Remington Golden Saber 125 +P. I think they have less recoil and every ballistic gel test I have seen shows them outperforming the Gold Dots.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I got my black compact grips. It feels much better and my knuckle doesn't get banged any more.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts