Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a Galco Middle of the back holster. You carry your pistol palm-out "cavalry-style" draw. The clip isn't to my liking it snagged on the back of my seat so i pop rivited a piece o leather to the inside of my belt to hold it in place.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
here are some pics. The last one is after the leather was added to my belt. As If you couldnt tell that your self.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
The only problem I see is lack of space for a good combat grip. I like enough room between the grip and my belt to grab the grip firm and quick and not be misdirected by other means. I'm sure with enough practice, you will acheive this. Hope it works for you.

·
Super Moderator
50,609 Posts
Nice holster...you'll grow to really like that carry.
Good pics of that carry.:yup:

I have several (one for each carry gun) IWB/SOB's, but without the thumb break.
The palm out draw is much more comfortable than a palm in draw in the same position. It's not on the spine, and it will (does for me) disappear into the kidney. Sitting down is not a problem...very comfortable for me.
Practice makes it a quick draw, and when wearing a cover shirt, you can have your hand ON THE GUN without anyone realizing what awaits...:image035::blink::yup:

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
SOB is not for me and makes me wonder if it is a really good location for anyone? Besides the draw being difficult for me personally due to some physical limitations I thought about having to draw while seated, especially in a car with a seat belt on? What if you were knocked to the ground with BG on top of you, I can see this being a real possibility, and one in which drawing the weapon would be very difficult. But Hey if it works for you that's great, I wish you all the best.

NCH

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
For me reaching behind my back, negotiating that thumb break and managing to get the weapon up and out of the holster would be a feat of contortion. As for re-holstering and snapping the thumb break back, doubt I could do that at all. But, hey, if it works for you good on ya. To each his own I always say.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'd just be concerned about lasering folks around me if I needed to pull the gun quickly. I guess you put the weapon in your console in the car. Even strong side carry can make for an uncomfortable draw in the car.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had one like that for my 3" 1911 a while back. I loved it but did not like the belt clip either. I like to wear it right in the middle of my back and the clip lined right up with the belt look. I had to move it to one side or the other and it just didn't feel right. The holster was sold with the gun.

Snap belt loops would have been a perfect addition to this holster IMO.

Jay

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Congratulations... nice pics too! :smile:

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Glad you found something that works for you! That is what is important.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I carried a S&W 4006 like that for years. I really liked the comfort of SOB.

Unfortunately a strong side shoulder injury left my ability to reach behind me a little to weak for that style carry

Yours looks great. Congratulations on your new holster.

·
Registered
11,498 Posts
If it works for you, that's great but for me, I hate IWB carry and I double hate IWB SOB carry. No way I would go for that.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It has been my understanding that the pictures show exactly the wrong way to utilize a SOB holster. It should have the grip facing the other way (just like a strong side holster, but with an almost horizontal cant) and you should be drawing with the palm in. With your set-up the chances are much higher that you will sweep your body on the draw because the gun has to come between your body and your arm to address a threat to your front. Palm-in draw allows the gun to arc outside both the draw arm and the body.

As to those that are not in favor of SOB holsters on the theory of the possibility of spinal injury in the event of a fall - the larger the waist line, the less likely the SOB holster will align with the spine. On me, it would be about a 4:30 or 5:00 o'clock position - off to one side of the spine. Who said there aren't advantages to being fat?

Adios,

Pizza Bob

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
For me - the pic shows best position as it is. I know the majority of folks say have it where draw it palm in - but - my bones just don't bend/turn that way very well - so when I do IW backside like that - Palm out is better for me.

It has been my understanding that the pictures show exactly the wrong way to utilize a SOB holster. It should have the grip facing the other way (just like a strong side holster, but with an almost horizontal cant) and you should be drawing with the palm in. With your set-up the chances are much higher that you will sweep your body on the draw because the gun has to come between your body and your arm to address a threat to your front. Palm-in draw allows the gun to arc outside both the draw arm and the body.

As to those that are not in favor of SOB holsters on the theory of the possibility of spinal injury in the event of a fall - the larger the waist line, the less likely the SOB holster will align with the spine. On me, it would be about a 4:30 or 5:00 o'clock position - off to one side of the spine. Who said there aren't advantages to being fat?

Adios,

Pizza Bob

·
Registered
233 Posts

Pizza Bob
+1.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For those who think the holster is carried wrong i took this off the page from Galco telling how the holster should be carried.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
For those who think the holster is carried wrong i took this off the page from Galco telling how the holster should be carried.
Works for me....

Everyone has their own preferences so go with what works best for you and others do what's best for them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts