Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as the title says I finally found a new Mini 14 today. I called the shop that I normally buy from and he says I just so happened to have one come in Friday afternoon and it's still here. He was nice enough to hold it for me even though they were told right now they were not allowed to hold weapons for people. I have bought almost all of my guns from there and after today it just reinforces why I continue to buy from them. In fact they had .223, 9mm, .380, 45acp, 40 S&W, and 38spl. The model is just the ranch rifle blued barrel and synthetic stock. All I thought was wow am I lucky because they said its the only one they have had since before Christmas. Now I just gotta find some 30 round mags for it before they try to ban them.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Very nice find, especially in thes times. Well Done!
I have been wanting one for a while now.

·
Registered
11,310 Posts
Congrats! Love mine.

·
Premium Member
6,517 Posts
Congrats!!! Great find!

I've been a big fan of the Mini-14 for 30+ years. I wouldn't sweat the 30-rd mags, though. I find they're a little bit awkward, though, and I much prefer the 20-rounders. I'd suggest you stick with Ruger mags; every aftermarket mag I've tried so far has been less than satisfactory! :blackeye:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am kinda thinking 20 rd mags too. My buddy has the 30 rds for his Mini 30 and they just seem big and cumbersome. I am thinking 20 rds also. I got the gun for a great price too. I have been watching used ones that guys are asking $1200-$1400. I got mine for $700 brand new! My LGS is not gouging at all. They said if they get them they will sell them. They want to sell them to anyone they can without running up the prices. I encourage anyone in Michigan to check them out. Heck I even bought my SR1911 new from them for $640 while Cabelas wanted $799.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
I'd second sticking with the 20 rounders. Grats on the Mini!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
+1 on the 20rd mags and sticking with factory Ruger mags.

A buddy of mine has had some luck with promag ones but I prefer factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse typos.

·
Super Moderator
18,790 Posts
Congrats on the new rifle, I would recommend sticking with the factory 20 mags also. Mine is a much older model 182 series and I have had very poor luck with after market mags but no trouble with the Ruger mags.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I also recommend Ruger factory 20 round mags for the Mini. Mine did not like factory 30 rounders (VERY hard to seat).

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Congratulations !!! You will love the Mini. Just remember that these are NOT tack drivers meant to shoot sub MOA, but designed to be a very reliable defensive weapon. God Bless :smile:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Congrats! Mini-14's rock! They are fun to shoot, easy to maintain, and as my LGS range officer remarked: "That there's yer politically correct assault rifle!" I would reinforce 2 comments from my past experience with them, stick with Ruger factory 20 rd mags, or polymer mags from reputable manufacturers. I wasted plenty of cash on no-name 30 rd stamped mags at gun shows. None of them can run a full load without jamming, but all the polymers I had functioned flawlessly. Good luck finding any for quite a while, they dried up faster than AR mags for some reason.

Also, the weapon is not as accurate as a well built AR. But I never intended it to be my 400 yd go to weapon. Sure functions fine at 150 yards with iron sights, and plenty accurate for me! Enjoy!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Congrats! I have had several and regretted selling very shortly after. I recently bought a used stainless 186 version so am in Mini heaven again. Paid $600. Dittos on the factory mags as well.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I bought it mostly for a self defense politically correct assault rifle. I have shot plenty of my buddies ARs and while they are sweet guns they just aren't for me. I know they are not sub MOA guns but I have a Remington 700 .308 for that. However it doesn't mean that I won't try it out on some yotes or wild hogs. That .308 just makes a mess of yotes.

·
Premium Member
6,323 Posts
Congratulations on a great purchase. Mini's are truly great rifles under appreciated by the masses. I'll speak in favor do the 20 round magazines as well.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Congratulations on a great purchase. Mini's are truly great rifles under appreciated by the masses. I'll speak in favor do the 20 round magazines as well.
I don't think that's accurate. The masses do appreciate them. Its the gun snobs that don't. Im not a huge fan, but they are good. I'd like them better if the user could replace the firing pin, like in an AR. Oh and if they used AR mags...hmmmm....sound like I like ARs better. We'll I do, but if I had a whole bunch of guns, I'd definitely have a Mini-14.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts